Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

199 posts, read 524,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Hi,

WE are wanting to move from AUtralia to USA. Was thinking of Florida but a few people have suggested NJ. Just wondering if you could tell me what it is like.....(big ask I know).

How does it differ from NY?
Why would you live NJ not Florida?

What are the biggest considerations in moving there?

and anything else you think might be important for me to know

Thanks
That's a very broad question, and it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to live in a climate similar to Australia's, then Florida should certainly be your choice over New Jersey, as it is a subtropical climate with virtually no Winter. New Jersey has 4 seasons including a Winter than can get cold and snowy, and a Summer that can get hot and rainy. You also need to take into account that while it's not a big state, New Jersey does cover quite a bit of ground from north to south, so the climate and lifestyle do differ from Sussex County in the north to Cape May County in the south.

Northern NJ is closely tied to New York City and includes both urban areas, suburban areas within commuting distance of NYC, and rural areas in the north and west. Southern NJ is closely tied to Philadelphia and includes urban, suburban, and rural areas including beaches. Northern NJ is more densely populated. You also have to specify on what you mean by "how is it different from NY". Do you mean New York state as a whole, or New York City?

Florida is also very different in many other regards, as well. Keep in mind that the two are located in entirely different regions- NJ in the northeast and Florida in the southeast. Florida has its own regions within the state that differ greatly from northern Florida, to the panhandle, to South Florida, to the Gulf Coast. I don't and never have lived there so I can't address that too much for you but I would say that in general, you would find the pace of life is much slower in Florida. There are also areas like North Florida and in the middle of the state which are much more culturally "southern", while South Florida is more of a melting pot with high numbers of Cuban immigrants as well as transplants from the northeast (NJ, NY, MA).

As far as costs are concerned, again, I can't address the entire state of Florida but I can tell you that we have the highest taxes across the board here in NJ. The cost of living would be cheaper in Florida. Hope this helps!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,506,869 times
its basically kill or be killed over here. i walk out my door every morning not knowing if i will make it back at the end of the day. most of the people i grew up with are either dead or in prison. i use rap music to put my pain into words.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM

23,347 posts, read 17,028,821 times
Default which are you?

Are you used to and prefer nature and open spaces or are you city dwellers?

Can fit either desire in NJ. Beauty of NJ is that everything is so close. go to some states like Maine and you have to drive for some distance as a routine. Location is important everywhere but some places it is less critical.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,504,019 times
Let's turn this question around--why is the OP considering NJ over, say NY? Or New Hampshire? Or Maryland???

The reason most people come to NJ from somewhere else is related to jobs, either in NYC or in NJ itself. Lots of people who moved from elsewhere to NYC post-college wind up in NJ once they have kids because the public schools are much more reliable than NYC and you get more bang for your buck.

NJ is def. not a dream destination by any means. It's expensive and busy and competitive. Although I love the place.

Of course, I'm talking about North Jersey. South Jersey is a totally different land, one which I'm not familiar with....

Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM

29 posts, read 94,019 times
Born and raised in North Jersey and I call it home proudly.

The seasons are beautiful. Winter can be somewhat long and cold from November through early April... but it is the Northeast.. we get used to it. Spring is pretty with all the blooming trees. Summer can be humid and hot but average summer... 80 to 100 degrees.

I always say- you take yourself whereever you go- so if you are an outgoing friendly person, you will gravitate towards others like yourself...so no worries about nice people. People are the same everywhere depending on the light you see them in. But in my opinion.. I love the people here for being in on current events, having open minds(democratic state), and being generally normal.

Rents vary greatly even within one town. You could find a small studio for around six or seven hundred...or go for the condo feel or larger one bedroom apartments anywhere from 1200 to 1500. . . depending on amenities.

Most people that live in Jersey work here. There are plenty of larger businesses that choose to have their headquarters here as opposed to NY for the lower rent prices, more land, and close proximity to the city. We do get pretty decent wages here compared to other states. I know of several people that commute to the city for jobs, too. It just depends on whether the money is worth it for the hassle of the commute. Its a short trip, but very crowded and keeps getting more expensive each year.

With all that said, funny enough, I am moving to Florida in a couple months. Not for jobs, not for weather, but to see what else is out in the world for me.

But I love NJ and know if you set out to find a nice neighborhood, you'll find plenty.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,602,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBez View Post
With all that said, funny enough, I am moving to Florida in a couple months. Not for jobs, not for weather, but to see what else is out in the world for me.

But I love NJ and know if you set out to find a nice neighborhood, you'll find plenty.
What out there might you be looking for?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,887,747 times
I agree with the other posters that having an idea of family and job will help us direct you.

From a personal standpoint I was born and raised in NJ and love it here. My brother now lives in FL and tries every chance he can to convince me to move there. However I prefer the 4 seasons. The proximity to major metropolitan cities - From central NJ you are 90 mins. to NYC, 5 hours to Boston, 2 hours to Philadelphia, 5 hours to Washington. We are coastal so there are plenty of beaches. We are close to some decent skiing (within 4 hour drive). We have a diverse population. We have many different types of suburbs depending on what you are looking for from horse farms to metropolitan living. Finally many of our public schools are very good.

To get all this you will live in the state with one of the most corrupt governments. Our property taxes are the highest in the nation as is our car insurance. On the other hand, our salaries are generally higher than most other places.

Florida, you get humidity, poor schools, palmetto bugs and geckos. OK, they do have some nice beaches and great restaurants and a big mouse that my daughter loves but it still ain't NJ.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,478,046 times
Quote:
Hi,

WE are wanting to move from AUtralia to USA. Was thinking of Florida but a few people have suggested NJ. Just wondering if you could tell me what it is like.....(big ask I know).

Thanks
What are you looking for when you "move" to the USA? There is also a west coast and a lot of mid-western and southern states to consider. Comparing NJ to Fla is pretty much impossible unless you give a little more info as to what you want.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,952,232 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Please...BEFORE YOU MAKE THE LIFE MISTAKE OF MOVING TO NEW JERSEY, think about it. I have lived here my whole life and I can tell you, it's the worst place in America. What are the people here like?....just watch this video, and it will give you a general idea.

YouTube - My New Haircut

The people are rude, loud, and IN YOUR FACE! Imagine soccer hulligans, only the game is never ending and EVERYONE ELSE IS FOR THE OPPOSING TEAM.
They will find any reason under the sun to get angry and take offense...scratch your neck in NJ and some grease ball will run up to you and say "HEY! WHAT YOU SCRATCHIN' YOUR NECK AROUND ANDY CAVATELLI FOR! YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WIT' ANDY CAVATELLI!??!!"

The people here are simply a breed of uncultured, slimey, loud, aggressive, arrogant Neanderthals.

As for the state itself...well, the weather sucks. Half the year it's too cold, with the temperature being about 35 degrees (1 degree celcius) in midday in the winter and 85 degrees (30 celcius) in Summer, with a comfortable Spring and Fall lasting about two weeks a piece.

When I say cold..I mean COLD! When I say hot, I don't just mean heat, I mean a soupy mess called air that you can barely breath.

The cost of living is THROUGH THE ROOF! Anywhere else in America you might be rich, but in New Jersey, with the same income, you will be middle-class. Housing, utilitizes, food, taxes, all of them are higher in Jersey.

Crime is insane too. Every single city in Jersey has crime like nobodies business. None of Jersey's cities are safe. It is also congested as hell with no room for anything and traffic like you could never imagine unless you're from London, Tokyo, or LA.

This is the worst place in America to live, period.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,941,711 times
^^^^Wow, talk about exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey