Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,931,818 times

Advertisements

Portuguese Manor in Perth Amboy, service is slow, but food is great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,504,892 times
If Churches Kitchen is still in Union, it has the best ribs. Mrs. Church makes excellent food. It is all takeout but so good. I have been in the South for a year and a half and cannot find anything to compare.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,847 times
You people are killing me!! Man I miss home!!!

Jimmy's in Asbury Park never let me down
Any diner for the most part.
Pete and Elda's thin Pizza
La Nonna Piancone in Bradley Beach
Frankie and Johnie's Steak House Jersey City?
Kelly's Tavern Great food and good times. Man I miss that place.
Jersey Freeze in Freehold where the circle used to be.
Stewart's for the root beer and dogs.
Circus Drive In in Belmar
Don Pepe in Newark
Red's Lobster Pot Point Pleasant
I could go on all day.....

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carat98 View Post
I used to drive to Mendoker's bakery in Jamesburg to get them and their rye bread is to die for!!
OMG my mom used to go there once a week for bread and stuff. My god it was good. Just a little FYI they have don presidential inauguration cakes, pretty impressive. Personally their Boston Cream Pie was my fav.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM

101 posts, read 459,001 times
i love buona gente, in Springfield on Morris Ave. East (asian fusion, sushi) in Berkley Heights, and Van Gogh's Ear Cafe for dessert in Union, nj..

anybody try yelp.com? it's for people to make their own local reviews.. I started but lost steam.. you can rate practically anything...

Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,914,324 times
Oh I had fun with this thread!

CUBAN: Azucar! in Jersey City - personally I liked the old Edgewater Location even better, but this is still great. Sabor in Edgewater is really good too. Mundo Latino in North Bergen is good, but very overpriced and not that great of an atmosphere for what you are paying.

MEXICAN: Baja in Hoboken (great Fajitas) Mama Mexico in Englewood Cliffs. Fiesta Hut in East Rutherford and a little hole in the wall in Wyckoff called 3 Chicas from Mexico. GREAT food.

Portuguese/Spanish: Iberia in Newark is good, I like Forno's even better though. Segovia in Moonachie was mentioned - that place has gone South. It's not half of what it was 10-15-20 yrs ago. El Cid in Paramus is good, but way overpriced IMO. Adega in Newark is really good but $$$ too.

Italian: I love Leo's in Hoboken, Il Villagio in Carlstadt and Cucina Rosa in Cape May. Bazarelli's in Moonachie is great - and so is a newer place accross the street called Dolce Novita.
I heard there are some good places in Elizabeth that I need to try. Oh, Paisano's in Rutherford. Like taht one too!

Sushi: I'm a big fan of Sushi Lounge in Hoboken and Maguro in Rochelle Park is awesome, but take out only.

Irish: Poitin Still in Hackensack.

Steak: The Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge.

Pizza: Cafe Capri East Rutherford, NJ; Barcellona's in Garfield (TOTAL dive, but great and so OLD SCHOOL! LOL)

Brunch: The Chart House in Weehawken, also wins best View.

Local Places: Court Street Bar/Cafe, Hoboken - love it. Brunch and Dinner. The Village Gourmet in Rutherford.

Bar Type Places: Redds in Carlstadt; Grasshopper Also , Moonachie.

Greek: Varka in Ramsey

Hot Dogs: Hirams in Fort Lee

Overall Favorites: Washington Inn, Cape May; Sanzari's New Bridge Inn, New Milford; Amanda's, Hoboken.

Most overrated (IMO): Iberia - it's good (on my list) but a lot of others are just as good in Downneck. Steve's Sizzling Steaks - can be great or crappy depending on the day hit. Service awful and steaks are not top quality anymore. La Isla in Hoboken - small and it's good, but nothing to get giddy over. Arthur's Steakhouses (Hoboken & Emerson) I've yet to get a really good steak there. Maybe I just have bad luck. Rutt's Hut... I know it's mythical, but it's dirty and gross and I get sick if I eat there! LOL!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:54 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,914,324 times
Anyone remember Archers in Fort Lee or the Palisadium in Cliffside Park (in the Palisadium Condos) those places were awesome...miss them! Oh, and the Harbor House in Ft. Lee too!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Oh I had fun with this thread!

CUBAN: Azucar! in Jersey City - personally I liked the old Edgewater Location even better, but this is still great. Sabor in Edgewater is really good too. Mundo Latino in North Bergen is good, but very overpriced and not that great of an atmosphere for what you are paying.

MEXICAN: Baja in Hoboken (great Fajitas) Mama Mexico in Englewood Cliffs. Fiesta Hut in East Rutherford and a little hole in the wall in Wyckoff called 3 Chicas from Mexico. GREAT food.

Portuguese/Spanish: Iberia in Newark is good, I like Forno's even better though. Segovia in Moonachie was mentioned - that place has gone South. It's not half of what it was 10-15-20 yrs ago. El Cid in Paramus is good, but way overpriced IMO. Adega in Newark is really good but $$$ too.

Italian: I love Leo's in Hoboken, Il Villagio in Carlstadt and Cucina Rosa in Cape May. Bazarelli's in Moonachie is great - and so is a newer place accross the street called Dolce Novita.
I heard there are some good places in Elizabeth that I need to try. Oh, Paisano's in Rutherford. Like taht one too!

Sushi: I'm a big fan of Sushi Lounge in Hoboken and Maguro in Rochelle Park is awesome, but take out only.

Irish: Poitin Still in Hackensack.

Steak: The Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge.

Pizza: Cafe Capri East Rutherford, NJ; Barcellona's in Garfield (TOTAL dive, but great and so OLD SCHOOL! LOL)

Brunch: The Chart House in Weehawken, also wins best View.

Local Places: Court Street Bar/Cafe, Hoboken - love it. Brunch and Dinner. The Village Gourmet in Rutherford.

Bar Type Places: Redds in Carlstadt; Grasshopper Also , Moonachie.

Greek: Varka in Ramsey

Hot Dogs: Hirams in Fort Lee

Overall Favorites: Washington Inn, Cape May; Sanzari's New Bridge Inn, New Milford; Amanda's, Hoboken.

Most overrated (IMO): Iberia - it's good (on my list) but a lot of others are just as good in Downneck. Steve's Sizzling Steaks - can be great or crappy depending on the day hit. Service awful and steaks are not top quality anymore. La Isla in Hoboken - small and it's good, but nothing to get giddy over. Arthur's Steakhouses (Hoboken & Emerson) I've yet to get a really good steak there. Maybe I just have bad luck. Rutt's Hut... I know it's mythical, but it's dirty and gross and I get sick if I eat there! LOL!
Great synposis. I especially agree with your overrated mention of both Steve's, Arthur's and Rutt's Hut. I am in the extreme minority when it comes to Rutts Hut. When I bring that place up, I feel the same way when I say I can't stand watermelon: evidently, I am the only one who has a disdain for the place.

Forno is great, but I also have to give props to Spanish Sangria, which I think is better than either Forno or Iberia. Don Pepe's is also one of the best. If I were to be allowed to pick a last meal, my choice would be paella at any one of these places. (with lots of lobster chunks)

Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 PM

983 posts, read 2,763,261 times
Giumarello's in Westmont has some of the best Italian food anywhere! Zagat Guide gave them a 5 star! It's a little pricy, but they have an early bird "prix fixe" menu during the week that is a great bargain (Tues-Fri, 5:00 p.m. - 6:30). You get 3 courses for around $20 or so and the food is just as good quality as the regular priced menu, only the portions are a little smaller.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM

5,617 posts, read 15,470,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Anyone remember Archers in Fort Lee or the Palisadium in Cliffside Park (in the Palisadium Condos) those places were awesome...miss them! Oh, and the Harbor House in Ft. Lee too!
Archers was my grandmothers favorite place!!!! I remember it well! Harbor house was not as good. My Grandparents lived on Briar Way in Fort Lee that was across from the DQ, so they went to Archers all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey