Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:12 PM

54 posts, read 181,226 times

Advertisements

Also, think about jobs in residential and day services for adults with developmental disabilities - the pay isn't great, and you need a lot of patience, but they are usually hiring. The hours are flexible (esp in residential), and I think you can get benefits from most if you are full time. I'm not sure what the agencies in NJ are called - someone on another thread talked about ARC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:12 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,518 times
My .02 is go! You learn the best things that way, besides you're one up in that you will basically be a local still as your friends are there.
It's a hard way to live just up and moving somewhere, but if you're willing to do it the benefits of what you learn and the things you get to see and do more than make up for the hardships.
If you start this a danger most don't see is if you find a good paying job. If you do get one like in the Fitters as you say, it may turn your head and school won't look so appealing any longer since you can make this much money now..... If that does happen don't buy into it, go to school, long term you'll do way way way better.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
My .02 is go! You learn the best things that way, besides you're one up in that you will basically be a local still as your friends are there.
It's a hard way to live just up and moving somewhere, but if you're willing to do it the benefits of what you learn and the things you get to see and do more than make up for the hardships.
If you start this a danger most don't see is if you find a good paying job. If you do get one like in the Fitters as you say, it may turn your head and school won't look so appealing any longer since you can make this much money now..... If that does happen don't buy into it, go to school, long term you'll do way way way better.
I agree with most of your post. I say go for too. It would be a great life learning exeriance. I also agree if he gets into the fitters he may have secong thoughts about going back to school. Heres where I disagree, while
I am all for everyone continuing their education. Getting a degree is no guaranty of someone doing "way way way better" I think you would be suprised what a top notch fitter can earn. If he gets into the union he almost guarranteed a job for life. I know many collage grads that do not earn as much or have that kind of job security.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I'll go out on a limb and against the tide. Yes, the economy is bad and it can be tough to get a job but it's not impossible if you really want it.

OK your 18. Personally I think this is a good time to figure out if this is where you want to be. Come out, live with your aunt. You don't know if you'll have that opportunity in 3 more years. Do what ever you need to. Deliver Pizza, work in retail. Take a year. I'm sure your parents in Arizona will take you back if you change your mind. On the other hand, if this is where you want to be, you'll have a year to establish residency and can always go to college here if the pipe fitters doesn't work for you.

I'm not one for putting off tomorrow, what you can (and want to do) today. Especially when you're young and don't have bills and kids that make these decisions much more complicated.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Now a response from njguy with the NJ attitude:

Are you freakin nuts? You're 18 and with no real job experience competing with all the rest of the high school grads looking for work, in fact there was a front page article recently in my local newspaper about it being the worst time to be graduating here in NJ. Stay in Arizona, get your college degree and stay with your parents - let them worry about the day to day expenses for 3 more years. Meanwhile you'll get an education, the economy hopefully will get better and you'll be 3 years wiser (maybe-lol!) and you be better prepared to go where-ever. Just remember that many of us older experienced/educated people here are having a difficult time securing work so I feel you'll gain 1000% more by staying the course in Arizona for now.

So get the above through your thick skull!

Have a Great Weekend!

This has been brought you by the njguy with the NJ attitude.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I would definitely wait from moving from AZ to NJ. I made the mistake of not finishing my Master's before moving east. It is unbelievabley expensive to go to school in NJ. Do what you can to get yourself through college in AZ!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,518 times
Default I'm well aware of the $

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I agree with most of your post. I say go for too. It would be a great life learning exeriance. I also agree if he gets into the fitters he may have secong thoughts about going back to school. Heres where I disagree, while
I am all for everyone continuing their education. Getting a degree is no guaranty of someone doing "way way way better" I think you would be suprised what a top notch fitter can earn. If he gets into the union he almost guarranteed a job for life. I know many collage grads that do not earn as much or have that kind of job security.
As a lifelong construction worker I know well the money to be had. But money isn't the be all and end all of life. There is also the wear and tear on one's body, Im not yet 50 and I am 100% disabled from my life in the trades.
That's the perspective I look at it from. Almost anything is better than this.
If i had an education I'd have worked more steadily, I'd be healthier now, and I'd certainly be better off financially since I'd have had the steady work to be able to keep putting money away instead of having to spend my savings in the lean times. I'd also probably know more about how to handle money, that is not garanteed by an education.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srg1990 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

Maybe I won't find work as easily.. I'm running with the simple "there's more people, hence places to work" idea.

I personally don't care about making a lot of money. Just enough to get by. I'm only moving because I miss and love my friends and family back there.

And yes, if I mess up bad, I can always just move back to AZ and continue on with my life.

Gotta start making those big life decisions sometime, eh?
IMO, you do have a lot going for you: You know what you want and willing to try. I understand what you are saying, the odds of finding something here in NJ are better plus all that you miss. I do know AZ among a few other States are having a harder time with the economy (housing problem).

Good for you and well put. Good Luck in whatever you do!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Why does he need a degree to be a sprinkler fitter?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
If you think you're going to make it here on $200 a month to give your relative for rent, wrong.
Realistically you will want and need money for food, clothes, movies, entertainment, hanging with friends and socializing, bus or train fare or gas money, all kinds of basic items that you are not thinking about.
Also if you do not finish as much school as possible now at this stage of your life you will be kicking yourself later on in life working for some smart arse boss who is 5 years younger than you but makes $20 or $30 grand a year more because they have the degree and you don't. That will be when you really want to succeed and kick back.

Maybe you should compromise and just try the summer here with the idea that if you change your mind you get run, jump, fly or whatever back to AZ in September and jump back into college.

Personally I wouldn't miss out on those college years at this time of life as you will work the rest of your life after you finish school. That's when you will have the advantage to get a better paying position. You may really need it then if you have to buy a house and provide for a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey