Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying older houses in this area. Is this a good place to start buying in? Is the area a good one? What are the plus's and minus's?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 AM

9 posts, read 60,034 times
Apparently, Middletown is a prime location. I can't stand it, but a lot of people commute from here.
So, erm, I guess it's convenient location to the city is a plus.
It's major flaws are mostly social, but everyone seems to look past that.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves2 View Post
I am thinking of buying older houses in this area. Is this a good place to start buying in? Is the area a good one? What are the plus's and minus's?
Thank you.
I lived in Atl. Highlands up until three months ago and looked in Highlands to buy. Are you planning to buy fixer uppers and flip? Buy and rent? Move there?
You are a few years behind the market for flipping, not to say you still can't do it but when the market went up Monmouth County had the highest increase, so the prices went through the roof. Now with the market slowing down you might be able to find a deal. There are plenty of house in the Highlands that need fising up and it is a desirable area.

IMO, you wouldn't have problem buying and renting in that area. There area lots of people that want to live there and work in the city via the ferry but are not ready to buy. (or can't)

If you are thinking of moving there, depending on your income.....there are better towns to live it. I wanted a big yard and that's nearly impossible to find there. Also, if you drive up and down the streets there, some of them are kinda scary. Best bet is to just drive up and down the streets there and write down houses you see for sale. Look them up on the internet.

Pro's: Close to the beach, lots to do, close to the city. Less expensive then surrounding towns.
Con's: Depends on what you want to buy there for. Not many jobs in the area. Some parts of the neighborhood are not too good.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 96,015 times
I agree with most, if not all that Rapture wrote or implied, that said.

The Highlands is not Atlantic Highlands, very different towns, very different houses, and very different prices. I’ve look at a few very beautiful older houses in Atlantic Highlands large, nice views of the bay, the hook & NY. They were very reasonable for this area, but by no means inexpensive.

The Highlands could be one of the least expensive places on the bays to buy waterfront property. Buying a small water view house & putting a second story on its still very possible. They are not cheap but they are still affordable.

There are a lot of bay front towns; the Sandy Hook area goes from Seabright to Keyport, and lots of towns off the Bay (Locus section of middleltown, Hazlet, Bethany).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey