Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 27,779 times

Advertisements

Edgewood properties are building these new condos and townhomes. Any opinion on the area and school district? I visited the site and saw a freight train track behind the construction site. The sales team told me that track is infrequently used. Anyone else who has visited the site? Condos are 250k+ and Townhomes are 380k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 14,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgphd View Post
Edgewood properties are building these new condos and townhomes. Any opinion on the area and school district? I visited the site and saw a freight train track behind the construction site. The sales team told me that track is infrequently used. Anyone else who has visited the site? Condos are 250k+ and Townhomes are 380k+
I live and grew up in the bordering area in Edison, so I can't give you advice about the school system, but I can tell you about the area. The surrounding area is safe, and, if you drive around a little, you'll find there are some corporate offices and warehouses right up the road. I cut through that area very often and for plenty of years, and I never saw a train come through those tracks (I didn't even know those tracks were still active). It's pretty centrally located to a lot of conveniences and shopping. You'll be very close to Hadley Center, Middlesex Mall, and other shopping plazas off Centennial avenue. You'll also be right by a 287 south ramp for quick access to the parkway and and turnpike, and not far from 287 north ramps. Personally, I always liked South Plainfield and am actually looking to buy there now. From my experience shopping in town, visiting Spring Lake Park, and growing up just yards from the city border, it seems like a great place to live with friendly residents.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,647 times
Hello,
Even we are planning to live at celebrations@ southplainfield,and are concerned about the train tracks,the frequency and the noise . We did ask a few people but got mixed reviews,do you by any chance got to know more about it.
Pls let me know

Thanks

Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,357 times
A great resource for finding unbiased facts regarding a schools performance is the NJ DOE school report cards. On the site you can see any public school's performance report card. New Jersey Department of Education | 2012-2013 Performance Reports If you want to see the schools report cards from over the past several years, you can do so here Department of Education - DOE Archives I find it quite useful to be able to not only see the most recent report, but to also see the reports from over the past several years so that you can clearly get an idea of not only how the schools is currently performing, but what trends you see in the school's performance - is the current scores an anomaly, or part of a general trend (either improving or declining) Unlike other sites who use the opinions of parent/students, which inherently is biased. When looking and comparing school districts another good resource for facts and statistics is Interactive Map: High School SAT scores - NJ Spotlight which will give you SAT scores as well as HSPA scores and AP statistics. Here is a link to the page regarding the South Plainfield school district's schools: New Jersey Department of Education | 2012-2013 Performance Reports

Another good resource for unbiased, fact based info on the schools is this site, Interactive Map: High School SAT scores - NJ Spotlight which provides you with info regarding the schools average SAT scores, HSPA results, and AP/IB participation and results. Bottom line is that the schools in S Plainfield are not bad, as in Newark/Camden et als, but they are not good, they are not performing up to the NJ statewide averages on any standardized measurement, in fact the performance lags in comparison to it's peers - other districts in the state with the same demographics.

KoalaNJ

Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,614 times
Exclamation Freight Train Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynnzie View Post
I live and grew up in the bordering area in Edison, so I can't give you advice about the school system, but I can tell you about the area. The surrounding area is safe, and, if you drive around a little, you'll find there are some corporate offices and warehouses right up the road. I cut through that area very often and for plenty of years, and I never saw a train come through those tracks (I didn't even know those tracks were still active). It's pretty centrally located to a lot of conveniences and shopping. You'll be very close to Hadley Center, Middlesex Mall, and other shopping plazas off Centennial avenue. You'll also be right by a 287 south ramp for quick access to the parkway and and turnpike, and not far from 287 north ramps. Personally, I always liked South Plainfield and am actually looking to buy there now. From my experience shopping in town, visiting Spring Lake Park, and growing up just yards from the city border, it seems like a great place to live with friendly residents.
I have tried to monitor the Freight train frequency, and the level of Noise from the Crossing at South Ave, and the Noise is very loud . The train crossed between 8:45 pm to 9:30 pm, and there is another one during the night time. There is one more early in the morning around 6 am.
I stick the coins to the track at various intervals.
So as per my research I think it's not that infrequent and atleast 4-5 trains cross from here . I don't think it would be a good idea to buy houses in this Community. .
Really confused, as this place was close to my current rented place and it would have been so easy to adjust after moving.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina v View Post
Hello,
Even we are planning to live at celebrations@ southplainfield,and are concerned about the train tracks,the frequency and the noise . We did ask a few people but got mixed reviews,do you by any chance got to know more about it.
Pls let me know

Thanks
Hi !!! we too are looking to buy at the celebrations @ south plainfield. Could you give me reviews about the place if any

Old 12-07-2015, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,524 times
Make sure that the first visit you make, you go to them with an agent. They do not pass on any commission to you in case you go directly to them. You might be able to negotiate a better deal with the Agent rather than the Properties.
I recently bought a Condo. The community is great but too early to judge.
Also, do not bank on the community shuttle service. They have been telling that from a long time. It is not ready and will take a while longer.
Let me know if you have more questions

Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,143 times
Hello adhunik
Can you please let me know at what price the condo seems reasonable ?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhunik.lekhak View Post
Make sure that the first visit you make, you go to them with an agent. They do not pass on any commission to you in case you go directly to them. You might be able to negotiate a better deal with the Agent rather than the Properties.
I recently bought a Condo. The community is great but too early to judge.
Also, do not bank on the community shuttle service. They have been telling that from a long time. It is not ready and will take a while longer.
Let me know if you have more questions
use a redfin agent in that case and get a big rebate

Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times
Thumbs down Bad experience

We bought our first house in Celebrations at South Plainfield back in August 2015. The expected closing date was first set to mid November 2015 which then got delayed until December 2015. We had informed the management several times that our lease will be ending and they had agreed that the house will be surely ready by December which never happened.
Then in December, after coming back from our vacation, we were told that the builder is targeting the week of Jan 16th for the closing. From that date onwards, they have constantly been pushing the date back by 1 week and now on 9th Feb, they are saying it will be 2 more weeks until closing. Now it will be March soon and we still don’t have any fixed date for closing.
It’s been almost 6 months now and the house looked only 60% complete in Mid Jan. It’s a shame on such a big management that to do 3 weeks’ worth of renovation they are taking 6 months and still it is not complete. Given that we made each and every payment and interior renovation selection within 15 days from the day we told a yes to the house.
We have to keep changing our temporary accommodation because of the management says the closing will happen next week but still there are no news on closing.
Please do not rely on the closing date for Celebrations and estimate at least 3-4 months delay on the date which is mentioned in the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey