Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
mvb mvb started this thread

4 posts, read 35,962 times

Advertisements

We are thinking to move to South Amboy, we have 2 years old child.
I am personally thinks that place is good investment, we been there 2 years ago, and we like it, but for same reason we got scared and we didn’t buy that townhome I guess we were looking for the catch … any way it looks like people really like to live there but I am really concern about kids growing there… if someone can recommend a good day care center that works with toddlers? How are the schools there? Are there part time or full time? (I am working in NYC and I need full time schools).
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
In my opinion, South Amboy is not the town to raise kids. The schools are lacking plus South Amboy is VERY blue collar except for the waterfront district. I see that you mentioned a townhome so I assume that you looking around this area. Don't get me wrong, the waterfront is AMAZING but once you leave the area, you are reminded of what South Amboy is really like. You are surrounded by lower income properties and people and a town that overall is not as developed as most of Middlesex County. Personally, I believe that the waterfront area is for singles or couples without children as they do not need the school system. If you really want to be in the area, I would suggest looking at private schools. Just my two cents.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM

thank you for info... will continue to look for something better

Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM

No problem, glad I can help! Good luck with your search.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 66,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb View Post
We are thinking to move to South Amboy, we have 2 years old child.
I am personally thinks that place is good investment, we been there 2 years ago, and we like it, but for same reason we got scared and we didn’t buy that townhome I guess we were looking for the catch … any way it looks like people really like to live there but I am really concern about kids growing there… if someone can recommend a good day care center that works with toddlers? How are the schools there? Are there part time or full time? (I am working in NYC and I need full time schools).
Thanks.
I have to say we love it! We live in the waterfront and both the town and the community are wonderful. Our boys are in the elementary school and are doing extremely well. We have made lot's of friends, both within the waterfront community as well as within the town.

As far as raising children here, we chose this town because we grew up in "blue collar" households, though now we would be considered rich/wealthy by the President's standards. We wanted our kids to have the same experiences we did; playing in the neighborhood, riding their bikes to the park and downtown to meet friends, and to be in an area where everyone knows each other.

To be quite honest, even we are surprised how close to this ideal we had in our heads has come to realization.

As for the community, the mix is definitely weighted towards singles, empty-nesters, and couples. There are about 20+ (and growing) elementary school-aged children and few more high-school aged kids in the development. Both the town and the community recreation association provide for lot's of kid focused activities. We are looking forward to the summer so the kids can enjoy the community pool!

Anyway, I won't sugar coat the town or school - but blue collar does not equal bad. Again, my family, my wife's family, and our friends all grew up in "blue-collared" towns and households - so we are comfortable traversing the "classes" and we appreciate the differences and recognize we are still very much the same - something we wanted our kids to know as well.

Our children have done amazingly well in the elementary school here in town. The teachers and staff have been excellent, and while the most recent school reports have shown a marked improvement, there is still a ways to go. We did our due diligence and decided the town was worth a try and we could not be more pleased!

I would urge you to scratch more than the surface when considering a town like South Amboy. It is a truly unique enclave in the greater NY Metro area, especially on the Jersey side!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaegean View Post
I have to say we love it! We live in the waterfront and both the town and the community are wonderful. Our boys are in the elementary school and are doing extremely well. We have made lot's of friends, both within the waterfront community as well as within the town.

As far as raising children here, we chose this town because we grew up in "blue collar" households, though now we would be considered rich/wealthy by the President's standards. We wanted our kids to have the same experiences we did; playing in the neighborhood, riding their bikes to the park and downtown to meet friends, and to be in an area where everyone knows each other.

To be quite honest, even we are surprised how close to this ideal we had in our heads has come to realization.

As for the community, the mix is definitely weighted towards singles, empty-nesters, and couples. There are about 20+ (and growing) elementary school-aged children and few more high-school aged kids in the development. Both the town and the community recreation association provide for lot's of kid focused activities. We are looking forward to the summer so the kids can enjoy the community pool!

Anyway, I won't sugar coat the town or school - but blue collar does not equal bad. Again, my family, my wife's family, and our friends all grew up in "blue-collared" towns and households - so we are comfortable traversing the "classes" and we appreciate the differences and recognize we are still very much the same - something we wanted our kids to know as well.

Our children have done amazingly well in the elementary school here in town. The teachers and staff have been excellent, and while the most recent school reports have shown a marked improvement, there is still a ways to go. We did our due diligence and decided the town was worth a try and we could not be more pleased!

I would urge you to scratch more than the surface when considering a town like South Amboy. It is a truly unique enclave in the greater NY Metro area, especially on the Jersey side!
Very well explained post. I undestand what you are saying and I agree that blue collar does not mean bad. If that is how it came off, my apologies. Are you residing in the single family homes or condos? Either way, very nice choice!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 PM

229 posts, read 923,270 times
I spent some years in South Amboy as a boy. Unless it has changed a lot, it is a little rough and tumble. We had some families that had been in town for generations, and a bunch of lower middle class families. What was most remarkable to me, but maybe it has changed, is the "hanging out on the corner" past time. Seemed to be how the majority of teens, 20 and 30 year olds spent their time when I lived there.

Also, at one point in time, South Amboy held the world record for most liquor stores and bars per square mile.

I also come from very humble background, and like I said, maybe things have changed, but these are my memories and I would not choose to raise children there. Sayreville, right next door, would be a better choice, IMHO.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM

19 posts, read 66,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
I spent some years in South Amboy as a boy. Unless it has changed a lot, it is a little rough and tumble. We had some families that had been in town for generations, and a bunch of lower middle class families. What was most remarkable to me, but maybe it has changed, is the "hanging out on the corner" past time. Seemed to be how the majority of teens, 20 and 30 year olds spent their time when I lived there.

Also, at one point in time, South Amboy held the world record for most liquor stores and bars per square mile.

I also come from very humble background, and like I said, maybe things have changed, but these are my memories and I would not choose to raise children there. Sayreville, right next door, would be a better choice, IMHO.
According to some of our neighbors who grew up in South Amboy and have moved back to live in Lighthouse Bay, it has changed much more than a little. I have to say since we moved here 5 years ago, the change has been remarkable!

As for the corner hang outs, its has become less and less over the past few years. While it does still happen, its more of a infrequent occurrence than even when we first moved to town.

My understanding is a lot of the bars have closed, and Broadway is pretty quiet now a days. For instance, this past Friday evening was gorgeous and we walked to to town to meet some friends and get some ice cream - we were pleasantly surprised it wasn't just us but there were several families out walking around with the kids, the Land Mark Tavern folks enjoying the sidewalk tables, and Blue Moon had a nice crowd with its outdoor tables and Jazz music, and a few folks were having dinner at Monticello's ... a very different atmosphere than just a few years ago.

This may not be for everyone, some want a more city like feel, others may prefer a country setting ... we like the unique small town/suburban waterfront setting of South Amboy. Its just a great little enclave!

We hope to see more restaurants and retail businesses open down town in addition to places like the Irish store, a couple of pharmacies, Blue Moon, Sciortino's, the Bagel shop, Monticello's Cafe, Dunkin' Donuts, the barber shop and hair/nail shoppes, and gift stores - oh and the shoe repair store (how many of those are left??? surprisingly good - like one I used to use in Manhattan!!!).

Lot's of good people live here, all over town, and people do care about this town. We live here because we care about it too and have embraced all of it.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM

thank you all for sharing...
we been there this weekend, and i really like it. Like blackaegean sad that place change a lot, for good. I differently can see the different from my last visit 2 years ago and know. I hope i will be part of that family city soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey