Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM

69 posts, read 336,010 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Sheldon Good - Auction Detail (http://www.sheldongood.com/detail.php?id=1711 - broken link)

I attended the Sheldon auction on Weehawken condos in April:

The Aristocrat Condos - Weehawken NJ

They went for around 75% of listed price. Any thoughts on The Beacon? Great building/unit, terrible location is my impression . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Now there's a shocker......

Where are all the Beacon supporters who have been talking about how their new place is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Hope they don't mind losing $200-300k in equity overnight......

Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i think jersey city is going to ungentrify.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think jersey city is going to ungentrify.
That section of JC hadn't gentrified in the first place- The Beacon was one project in the middle of a run-down, stale area. If the market hadn't crashed for another five years, the area might have turned into something decent, but now it'll turn back to garbage. Once those units sell for 1/2 of what the original buyers paid, the building will be full of foreclosures and you won't be able to give a unit away.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That section of JC hadn't gentrified in the first place- The Beacon was one project in the middle of a run-down, stale area. If the market hadn't crashed for another five years, the area might have turned into something decent, but now it'll turn back to garbage. Once those units sell for 1/2 of what the original buyers paid, the building will be full of foreclosures and you won't be able to give a unit away.
it just seems to me like jersey city has been undergoing a forced gentrification that is unlikely to sustain itself. my brother bought in spanish harlem hoping for future gentrifying. it doesnt just happen because you want it to.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
it just seems to me like jersey city has been undergoing a forced gentrification that is unlikely to sustain itself. my brother bought in spanish harlem hoping for future gentrifying. it doesnt just happen because you want it to.
it is a short ride from both NYC and Hoboken. Unless NYC as a whole declines in price drastically, there are always going to be middle income people who want to be near a decent night life and cant afford to live in NYC

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Welcome to Sheldon Good - Auction Detail (http://www.sheldongood.com/detail.php?id=1711 - broken link)

I attended the Sheldon auction on Weehawken condos in April:

The Aristocrat Condos - Weehawken NJ

They went for around 75% of listed price. Any thoughts on The Beacon? Great building/unit, terrible location is my impression . . .
Location is terrible. It's next door to the projects. It's also a good 30 minutes walk from the PATH station. To get to the nearest decent shopping, you either have to head downtown (it had better be by car/bus ... or you're walking past the towers first, then the low rises just W of rt78) or you have to take on Bergen Avenue and/or streets just East of there.

Basically, it's not terribly safe to step out and walk anywhere from there out of daylight hours.

I put it down to the bubble mindset -- there was this notion that you could just plonk down a "luxury condo" anywhere within a reasonable commute of Manhattan, and it would automatically be worth as much as 77 Hudson. But the location isn't very attractive.

For a place to be a good candidate for gentrification, it can be in a slightly rough area, but it still needs to be convenient for residents today (e.g. they will need/want convenient access to shops and transportation). The Beacon didn't offer that.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
There are lots of different "Jersey Cities". Downtown is already somewhat gentrified. It's almost as expensive as Hoboken.

Around Journal Square is still up and coming, but there are people who regularly come on here asking about buying condos around Journal Square.

There are some condos that are very close to JSQ which obviously have a reasonable future -- plenty of good shopping options, walking distance from mass transit (12 minutes train ride to lower Manhattan), and safe enough that you can walk (not drive) outside your building.

The whole "luxury condo"-mania is another matter. Most people who have 600k to spend could buy in a more established area, like downtown JC or Hoboken.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,222 times
as i said a long time ago, it's like a lone rose in a pile of poo. That area is one of the worst in JC. Who wants to live there? 150k for a 1br is still too much risk as the area clearly will not turn around for at least 5-10 years, if ever and who knows what will happen to the building especially considering the high monthly fees, a small 1br cost close to $700 in maintenance alone!

RIP beacon

Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 PM

80 posts, read 219,381 times
I don't know where you are walking from Elflord, but Journal Square Path Station is only 10-15 minutes walk from the Beacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey