Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
ESS ESS started this thread

6 posts, read 29,610 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Right now I'm living in Dutchess County, NY and I can't stand it here. I got permission from my job (located in Poughkeepsie) to work remotely, so I wanted to get out of here and move to the NYC area, which I've been wanting to do for a couple years.

The catch is that I need to make it up there at least 1 -2 days a week for meetings, face-to-face time with my co-workers, etc. Given that I'm going to have to do this, I think I'm going to have to have a car.

I was looking at the different areas in the NYC area. A car in Manhattan is out of the question and I dread crossing the Triborough bridge anytime during rush hour, so that basically eliminates Brooklyn and Queens. The one area that would seem to have the easiest commute (according to Google maps at least) would be Hoboken. It doesn't look like I would have to cross a bridge until I'm pretty far upstate and I *think* it would be a reasonable commute to do 2 days a week. The other days I'd be working out of a midtown Manhattan office (which I'd use public transportation to get to, of course).

My question is, how feasible is this? Is there anybody here who's familiar with how traffic would flow going from Hoboken to Poughkeepsie, NY during the week? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM

18 posts, read 125,612 times
I am not familiar with Poughkeepsie - as far as how north in NY it is - just know it's along the Hudson (right?). But when you think about the traffic just look at the roads and see what direction they head compared to the city. For example, if you take the turnpike out of Hoboken, you will initially be against traffic, but as you head north on the turnpike, you will hit Lincoln Tunnel traffic. From there, I am not sure what road you'd take (280 to the parkway perhaps?), however, the next obstacle is Bergen county traffic and GWB traffic and then Tappan Zee traffic. You don't have to cross but you will have to deal with anyone who is crossing if you are going in that direction. You'll hit pockets where you are against traffic and pockets where you are against traffic. Got anyoen you can stay with up there? Go up the night before and come back to Hoboken after rush hour.... just a thought.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gould71 View Post
I am not familiar with Poughkeepsie - as far as how north in NY it is - just know it's along the Hudson (right?). But when you think about the traffic just look at the roads and see what direction they head compared to the city. For example, if you take the turnpike out of Hoboken, you will initially be against traffic, but as you head north on the turnpike, you will hit Lincoln Tunnel traffic. From there, I am not sure what road you'd take (280 to the parkway perhaps?), however, the next obstacle is Bergen county traffic and GWB traffic and then Tappan Zee traffic. You don't have to cross but you will have to deal with anyone who is crossing if you are going in that direction. You'll hit pockets where you are against traffic and pockets where you are against traffic. Got anyoen you can stay with up there? Go up the night before and come back to Hoboken after rush hour.... just a thought.
For the most part, Google Maps says to take Rt. 17 north out of Hoboken and link up with the NYS Thruway (87N) and then over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge and continuting up north to Poughkeepsie. I can't imagine the Thruway being too bad since I would assume people would be taking that south to head into the city while I'd be going against traffic to go north. Is anybody familiar with how Rt. 17 is going north during rush hour?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM

52 posts, read 130,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESS View Post
For the most part, Google Maps says to take Rt. 17 north out of Hoboken and link up with the NYS Thruway (87N) and then over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge and continuting up north to Poughkeepsie. I can't imagine the Thruway being too bad since I would assume people would be taking that south to head into the city while I'd be going against traffic to go north. Is anybody familiar with how Rt. 17 is going north during rush hour?
This would be your best route. I live in Hoboken and once in a while have a client up north to visit and I always take Rt-17 to the thruway. That's also the route I always found to be the best years ago when I would travel from NY to Albany for college (to go through NJ - the turnpike to 80 to 17 to 87).

For recent trips rush hour usually isn't a problem on 495 or 17 headed up to the thruway - everyone's usually headed the opposite way towards NYC. Coming back though sometimes will be a problem getting into Hoboken due to backups on 495 (hoboken is the last exit before the lincoln tunnel) or you can just take the shortcut off 495 to the kennedy blvd. exit in union city to get back here also.

Still shouldn't be too bad - commute from hoboken to Poughkeepsie and back shouldn't be more then 1hr 15min-2hrs each way. Street parking is a problem after 6pm any day of the week if you live pretty close to the main drag here (washington street). If your job is flexible maybe you can end your days at the upstate office earlier to get back into hoboken before that time. Or just get a reserved spot for $300-$400 a month.

I usually go to midtown a few days a week and generally drive in but you do have good public transporation out here - either the PATH into Herald Square (34th street & 6th ave area) or you can hop on a quick bus through the lincoln to port authority (42nd street & 8th ave).

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD517 View Post
This would be your best route. I live in Hoboken and once in a while have a client up north to visit and I always take Rt-17 to the thruway. That's also the route I always found to be the best years ago when I would travel from NY to Albany for college (to go through NJ - the turnpike to 80 to 17 to 87).

For recent trips rush hour usually isn't a problem on 495 or 17 headed up to the thruway - everyone's usually headed the opposite way towards NYC. Coming back though sometimes will be a problem getting into Hoboken due to backups on 495 (hoboken is the last exit before the lincoln tunnel) or you can just take the shortcut off 495 to the kennedy blvd. exit in union city to get back here also.

Still shouldn't be too bad - commute from hoboken to Poughkeepsie and back shouldn't be more then 1hr 15min-2hrs each way. Street parking is a problem after 6pm any day of the week if you live pretty close to the main drag here (washington street). If your job is flexible maybe you can end your days at the upstate office earlier to get back into hoboken before that time. Or just get a reserved spot for $300-$400 a month.

I usually go to midtown a few days a week and generally drive in but you do have good public transporation out here - either the PATH into Herald Square (34th street & 6th ave area) or you can hop on a quick bus through the lincoln to port authority (42nd street & 8th ave).
And NJTransit midtown direct to Penn.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. How would the commute out of Brooklyn/Queens be? Google Maps says I should take the Triborough Bridge out and based on my experience with the GWB, any city-area bridge is likely going to be delayed regardless of the time of day or direction you're going in. It also has me going on the Cross Bronx, which was a nightmare the couple of times I had to cross it. Does anybody have any other insights?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 44,098 times
Queens and Brooklynn would be pretty rough. Why not Fort Lee or Edgewater. Right next to the city and you can avoid all the traffic when you make your trip.

To each his own but I am surprised to see someone wanting to move to the city and commute to the country.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Queens and Brooklynn would be pretty rough. Why not Fort Lee or Edgewater. Right next to the city and you can avoid all the traffic when you make your trip.

To each his own but I am surprised to see someone wanting to move to the city and commute to the country.
Haha, well, I've been living up here my entire life and I'm really desperate for a change. I'm a 26 year old single guy and although I realized Dutchess County has absolutely nothing to offer someone like me, I've never been able to secure a job in a city to get me the hell out of here and I certainly won't be able to in this economy. I got permission from my job to work remotely out of the Midtown Manhattan office (I work for IBM) and only head up there 2 days a week. I figure if I don't do it sooner or later, I'll be stuck up here forever...I don't think think it's healthy to go your entire life just living in one area.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 44,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESS View Post
Haha, well, I've been living up here my entire life and I'm really desperate for a change. I'm a 26 year old single guy and although I realized Dutchess County has absolutely nothing to offer someone like me, I've never been able to secure a job in a city to get me the hell out of here and I certainly won't be able to in this economy. I got permission from my job to work remotely out of the Midtown Manhattan office (I work for IBM) and only head up there 2 days a week. I figure if I don't do it sooner or later, I'll be stuck up here forever...I don't think think it's healthy to go your entire life just living in one area.
That's true. I forget just how exciting the city was to me when I moved here at 19. Thats really good that your company will work with you like that.

You should try living in Manhattan in that case. Just deal with the traffic. You can also get a nice loft in Jersey City and have that city feel without the city price. Still Fort Lee/Edgewater might be your best choice. Avoid tolls and traffic.

Also from queens you have to take 2 bridges and the tolls are close to $20 now. 3 times a week and you are paying $240 a month. Better to put that into a huge loft on the Jersey side if ya ask me.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
turboman is correct about figuring the tolls and also the congested traffic of people trying to escape LI if you live on one of those islands.
In Manhattan having a car is a real expense and/or pain. If you park on the street, if you find a spot they make you move it each day for street sweeping or else you run up a few hundred dollars or more in parking tickets and NY city steals your car away for ransom.

Stick with the American mainland to avoid those hassles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey