Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times

Advertisements

Dumped phone service and using MagicJack. . Using DirecTV for TV ($50/month), MagicJack for phone ($20/year!), Cable for Internet ($45/month). Could not be happier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 PM

312 posts, read 1,163,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I have a decision to make. I have Verizon DSL, and they have been to my house 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I keep losing the dsl signal. They sent me a new modem, but that didn't help. I moved the computer into another room (the verizon guy told me to do this). That didn't help. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I am thinking of getting Optima Online triple play for $99.00 a month (I know, it goes up in one year). But at least, hopefully, what happened with the dsl won't be repeated with the Optima online internet connection. I also want to find out if they can use the existing DirectTV cables when they hook everything up. I don't want any drilling. I don't own this house. Any advice is welcome.
I had Verizon DSL for over a year and it was a nightmare. Connection was slow and disconnected often. Also, my phone lines were very staticy. Verizon technicians came out half a dozen times and tried all kinds of stuff. Finally one technician admitted to me that the lines on the street were bad. They probably knew this all along but they did not want to go through the expense of changing the lines on the street. After a lot of arguing they finally agreed to change the lines down the entire block and it improved slightly but it still went down occasionally and speed was still slow.

The only reason I chose Verizon DSL and stuck with it was because I was hoping they would get FiOS soon. The sales rep even told me that it was possibly a matter of weeks before FiOS was available.

DSL is parts of New Jersey is horrible because a lot of the phone lines are old and need to be replaced. After over a year I realized that FiOS was not coming anytime soon and switched to optimum online for my phone and internet and could not be happier. Everything just plain works and customer service has been fine. Also my connection speed is 10 times faster than what it was with DSL.

Verizon is supposed to be a great company but I don't know if I would ever go back to them. They knew there was a problem with the phone lines but never admitted it until maybe the 6th technician came clean and told me the truth. They also strung me along with the promise of FiOS.

I'd say abandon DSL ASAP and find another provider.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM

8 posts, read 29,040 times
To Captne76

When you say "run a new pair to my location", exactly what does this mean? The first two guys who came to my house could not find the NID. One guy said "I think it's in the basement". People live in the basement so I can't access that.

The third time a guy was supposed to come to my house, he never showed and Verizon notified me that they FIXED it from their end. Didn't happen. Said they changed ports. Made no difference. I'm still losing the connection. The first two guys checked my phone wiring inside my home (with their little gizmos) and pronounced "Good signal strength".

Another guy is supposed to come tomorrow. Since they have tried EVERYTHING except to check the NID, and they can't access the NID (haven't had a problem in 20 years by the way), can't they just put in a new NID and run lines from that?

Please help. My husband is disabled and just loves the internet. Thanks much

Mel

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM

To Artdds:

I hear you. It seems to me that A doesn't know what B is doing (re: Verizon people).

I had no problem for 8 years using Verizon DSL. I never thought it was the lines in the street.

I shall ask the man (if he shows up tomorrow).

thanks much

melody
P.S. Would the fact that I have PERFECTLY FINE telephone service, well wouldn't that indicate that the problem is NOT my end? My problem is only the DSL part.

Thanks much, Melody

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
We have had FIOS for the last couple of years. We like it and don't have any plans on changing. We had issues with Comcast, Dish Network, and DirecTV in the past - IMO Comcast is the worst out of all of them.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Hi All!!!

Well, the Verizon guy came last Saturday. He replaced all jacks, he replaced all wiring in the house. He put in a new NID. He also went up to the pole and replaced the line that went to the pole. The only thing he did do was replace the cable on the pole because he said "That's the LAST thing that has to be done and there's 50 lines in that box". I have no idea what he is talking about but it doesn't matter.

He then came in, did the modem configuration test. Did the ping test thing. All seemed to be in sync and working fine.

It's been 7 days. I do not want to put any bad vibes or bad luck on my situation. lol

So far so good.

And that's ALL I care about.

Thanks very much

Melody

Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 44,389 times
Verizon Fios cost more but the customer service is superior to any other cable company I have been with. Far better than Comcast or Cablevision; sometimes you have to pay a little extra to be treated like a value customer. Much like Verizon Wireless, it cost extra but the Customer Service and Quality of service is not match by the main stream Verizon Fios competition.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Wow! I've never heard anyone say that. I have friends who have had both and Cablevision usually wins. We've had DirectTV and traditional cable, but a couple of years back went to Cablevisions triple-play. It's pretty much perfect for us.

What is wrong with it from your POV? Maybe I'll check out FiOS. Hmmmm.
I second this. FIOS is so much faster and better than any cable company that it is amazing to me that anyone bothers with Cablevision or DirecTV when FIOS is available. Honestly, the service is uber fast, and the cable TV is rock solid and never goes out during bad weather like the satellite providers. The Internet is lightning quick. I have every cable and movie channel known to man, lots of HD, free long distance. And I think I pay $159 or so. It's a steal.

I'm getting 43.12 mb/s download speed and 34.51 mb/s upload speed from speedtest.net and 52.81 download / 41.07 upload from pc911. And I haven't even really optimized at all, that's right out of the box. It's really great, and really reliable. FIOS rules!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 AM

79 posts, read 267,895 times
Hi

I had Cablevision for 2 years (triple play for 1 year then I canceled landline), service is good and internet is good too. The only issue was the price, because despite of I was just using 2 services (Internet + TV: 1 HD Box) I was paying around $100.

Now I have FIOS (I'm paying $90 aprox.), and I don't have any complain about it (Just got TV: DVR and additional HD Box + Internet), the only issue is related with the Router (you can't use your own router), because you have to keep it On all the time, not like the Cablevision Modem -I used my own router- (because if you turn it off, next time you'll use it, your internet will not work, you'll have to call Technical Support to reset it on their side so you can have internet again - that sucks! Solution: Keep it On all the time, eventhough you don't need it working 24/7)

Instead of a landline, you can use a cellphone!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Verizon has THE WORST customer service . If you can, get another service provider, they absolutely suck
They do? I have had to call a few times and it was taken care of quickly I never had any issues with customer service when calling Fios.

This was another post and some people said it wasn't good service but you really never had to call much in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey