U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 AM

566 posts, read 1,070,707 times

Advertisements

A thought came to me while answering another thread. While it might need refinement, here it goes....

New jersey is virtually bankrupt (this is not news). How about selling some of our park lands.

Consider, New Jersey owns a number of multi thousand acre parks in south Jersey that are barely used at all.

A sale of land would provide money to the treasury that would not need to be repaid (like bonds).

The land would be sold to developers. The sale would provide living space for people.

Taxes would be collected on the developed properties.

Jobs would be provided to the construction workers, road builders, along with all others in the service industries.

Business of all types would open up to service what would in effect be a "new city". (Food stores, clothing, furniture, etc.).

Certainly not a perfect solution, but consider, people are taxed to the "MAX", there is no more. Personally, they have already bled me white. At least this way, I am not leaving a failed financial legacy to the next generation, one that will likely not be able to be repaid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 AM

3,249 posts, read 6,274,092 times
Your idea is graded a big fat F.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 AM

315 posts, read 642,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
i'm with you! delete our already depleted natural resources, make the state more crowded, and take away needed habitats for so many of our wildlife. not a great idea in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,777,999 times
Yeah, because there's soooo much development going on right now, and they really need more land.....

Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM

7,126 posts, read 13,826,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
While it might need refinement, here it goes....

Consider, New Jersey owns a number of multi thousand acre parks in south Jersey that are barely used at all.

A sale of land would provide money to the treasury that would not need to be repaid (like bonds).

The land would be sold to developers. The sale would provide living space for people.
Specifically which ones in South Jersey?
The Pine Lands most likely can't be built on due to being too wet.

Not in favor of it anyway due to too much building in South Jersey.
Any clue how many new homes there are going in?
A lot.

Trim the fat. They need to start there.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
EB2

1,919 posts, read 3,887,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I agree.

It would bring up population (IF the areas were actually inhabited) - possibly cost of living (demand would increase with population), and most likely...the favorite of New Jerseyans...TAXES .

Not to mention, NJ has some absolutely beautiful parks that make a wonderful retreat from the nitty gritty or the suburbs. I'm a big fan/advocate of nature, so I'm opposed to it pretty much anyway...but taking the other factors into account, even moreso.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM

10,329 posts, read 8,951,424 times
Finding a new source of money to dump into NJ's political coffers is like finding a new source of crack to give to a crackhead.

NJ's financial mess isn't due to a lack of incoming funds by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,812,589 times
Please leave alone the few parts of NJ that aren't developed. Think about the innocent animals. I am sure they aren't looking for "development."

Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 13,826,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Please leave alone the few parts of NJ that aren't developed. Think about the innocent animals. I am sure they aren't looking for "development."
Good point. In the last week I've had a 27 inch snake in my basement, toads in my garden, baby rabbits, deer, turkeys. The animals are going nuts because the builder is moving back further in the community. They have no where to go.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM

5,343 posts, read 9,251,471 times
Uhm, NO. If NJ gets much more crowded we're going to sink into the ocean.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey