Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
because the stock exchanges are in NYC
they should move. maybe overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Hahaha here it comes.

Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

Over half of all US citizens, including the poor ones, don't pay a dime in federal income taxes today. That is one of the primary problems with our entire fiscal policy. With no skin in the game, why should they care how far we going into debt?

I'm sure Obama will make sure that when the VAT-like tax is implemented, that 50% of non-payers will get a "refund" for all VAT taxes paid...whether they paid them or not!

It is time for a flat tax. You make money by any method (income, investments, selling real estate, eBay, etc.) you pay a percentage. No exceptions, no deductions. Only then will every citizen start caring about fiscal issues and *real change* will come to DC.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Hahaha here it comes.

Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

Over half of all US citizens, including the poor ones, don't pay a dime in federal income taxes today. That is one of the primary problems with our entire fiscal policy. With no skin in the game, why should they care how far we going into debt?

I'm sure Obama will make sure that when the VAT-like tax is implemented, that 50% of non-payers will get a "refund" for all VAT taxes paid...whether they paid them or not!

It is time for a flat tax. You make money by any method (income, investments, selling real estate, eBay, etc.) you pay a percentage. No exceptions, no deductions. Only then will every citizen start caring about fiscal issues and *real change* will come to DC.

Hey Block, here's the problem with this article. In no area does it mention a repeal of the 16th amendment. That means the VAT is being imposed ON TOP OF the existing tax code. I am for a national sales tax, but only if the IRS is abolished and the 16th amendment is repealed.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
because the stock exchanges are in NYC
So if I read you right, those rich people really can't just pack their bags and go after all, because their jobs are in NYC, and those jobs can't/won't move.

Getting up and going isn't that easy (if it was, why the hell are you stuck in Newark of all places ?)

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
So if I read you right, those rich people really can't just pack their bags and go after all, because their jobs are in NYC, and those jobs can't/won't move.

Getting up and going isn't that easy (if it was, why the hell are you stuck in Newark of all places ?)
some can and some cant. every millionaire that leaves hurts the tax revenue for the city. i was living in brooklyn and paying almost 4% city income tax. that tax was a strong motivator for me to move out to NJ.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Millionaires Go Missing
Maryland's fleeced taxpayers fight back.

Millionaires Go Missing - WSJ.com

As much as Steve Lonegan's religious right wing views scare me, he is the only candidate that understands how to start to fix the state's finances and make it's tax policies more friendly for businesses so more jobs are created instead of driving everyone out like Corzine is.

You know, as much as I am going to get so much smack for saying this and am going to be called immature, an idiot, etc, I have to say this. There is a very simple way to help the Jersey economy: legalize marijuana and tax it's sale and sell licenses to sell it, just like the state does alchohol.

I mean, if we were the only state in the Union that had legalized marijuana...
1)tourism would sky-rocket
2)people from surrounding areas would come here to party, putting more money into the state
3) a new industry would pop-up over night that would need to hire people
4)The NJ family farm would be saved (make a part of it's legalization to be that it would have to be cultivated by a licensed, regulated farm in state)
5) Jersey would get new taxable income (people buy pot now tax free)
6) Jersey kids would no longer have such and easy time getting access to pot:why? Because it would be a licensed merchant selling it and not a street pusher. The merchant doesn't want a fine and doesn't want to loose his license, while a street pusher is already doing something illegal and would sell to kids in a heart beat. When I was a teenage (not too long ago) almost no one drank and lots of people smoked pot. Why? Because pot was allot easier to get to then booze. Unlike the guy at the counter at Buy Rite Liquor, the pusher on the corner doesn't ask for ID...

And do spare me the "drugs destroy lives" speech. My mother was an alcoholic who drank herself to death, and I don't see anybody advocating a return to prohibition.

Also, I personally have never, and will never, try an illegal drug. It's just not for me, but I do understand the economic benefits of taking something that's illegal, unregulated, untaxed, and marginalized and regulating it, getting out of the hands of kids, and taxing it for the benefit of all while creating a new, legal industry out of it.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
some can and some cant. every millionaire that leaves hurts the tax revenue for the city. i was living in brooklyn and paying almost 4% city income tax. that tax was a strong motivator for me to move out to NJ.
... which is known for its low taxes

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
... which is known for its low taxes
nj knows that people can only commute from so far. its a kick in the nuts to myself and anyone who works for a living but is tied to new york city. if i ever get the opportunity to move away, ny and nj will not be getting my money any more. so i can definitely see a certain % of wealthy leaving when they get the opportunity.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You know, as much as I am going to get so much smack for saying this and am going to be called immature, an idiot, etc, I have to say this. There is a very simple way to help the Jersey economy: legalize marijuana and tax it's sale and sell licenses to sell it, just like the state does alchohol.
I too am for that, and agree with everything you said.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hey Block, here's the problem with this article. In no area does it mention a repeal of the 16th amendment. That means the VAT is being imposed ON TOP OF the existing tax code. I am for a national sales tax, but only if the IRS is abolished and the 16th amendment is repealed.
babysteps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey