U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM

59 posts, read 225,561 times
Default 500 year flood plain - How bad is this ?

A property we are considering buying in Bergen County is in a 500-year flood plain.

Can someone comment on how bad(or good) this is ? Is it something to be very concerned about ?

If only a part of the property is in flood plain but the main dwelling is not, then what are the pros/cons ?

Any experience or feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,793,171 times
Depends on whether you plan on being there when the 500-year flood hits...lol.

I'd check with your homeowner's insurance company to see if they'll require you to buy flood insurance if you're in the 500-year zone. Also, you say that the house isn't in the zone, but is there a basement that's lower than he 500-year flood elevation nearby? If so, you may still get water in the basement during a flood, even though the surface water never gets to the house.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick response Bob !

Yes there is a finished basement. (Finished just recently - 2007 I think).
Wouldn't the basement be considered a part of the main dwelling ? I will be getting more documentation on this tonight from my realtor so I will read it in detail.

I am also concerned that this will hurt the resale value, although the town is a quite sought after town.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM

4,637 posts, read 8,591,530 times
Seems odd to finish a basement if there is going to be flooding.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitchin View Post
A property we are considering buying in Bergen County is in a 500-year flood plain.

Can someone comment on how bad(or good) this is ? Is it something to be very concerned about ?

If only a part of the property is in flood plain but the main dwelling is not, then what are the pros/cons ?

Any experience or feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.
20 years ago, I would have said "it's no big deal". But the "year storm" calculations are so old - Population growth in this State is way beyond what anyone ever thought it would be ... new home construction, new buildings, new parking lots, new highways, larger highways (impervious surfaces) which all factor into surface water flow leading to flooding issues. I would ask around... go to the twp and find out if they ever had flooding issues in that area.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM

231 posts, read 348,531 times
Are there flood plain maps for NJ?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM

6,183 posts, read 2,140,271 times
If I can recall from my geology 101 days, 500-year flood plain would mean the house is built for the highest flood the district has recorded in the last 500 years.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Yes, there are flood plain maps for this area that clearly show the property in a flood plain. And yes the area was flooded during hurricane floyd. Even properties not in flood plain experienced flooding in their basements during Floyd.

We are considering this as a long term buy (20 years atleast) and hence the concern.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitchin View Post
Yes, there are flood plain maps for this area that clearly show the property in a flood plain. And yes the area was flooded during hurricane floyd. Even properties not in flood plain experienced flooding in their basements during Floyd.

We are considering this as a long term buy (20 years atleast) and hence the concern.
I don't think Floyd was even considered a 100 yr storm!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Seems odd to finish a basement if there is going to be flooding.
Well, they updated a few things in the house so they could sell it. Basement was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey