Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

11,301 posts, read 16,606,803 times

Advertisements

I think it's time to elect Moe, Larry and Curly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by MaryAnn Spoto/The Star-Ledger

Tuesday May 26, 2009, 8:50 PM
MONMOUTH COUNTY -- Under the state's latest school funding formula, the average cost per student in the tiny village of Loch Arbour is increasing to a whopping $68,750, a price tag local officials say is impossible for homeowners to shoulder and will surely drive prospective homebuyers away

Monmouth County town to pay $68K per student based on N.J. funding formula - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:34 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,910,735 times
And before everyone starts screaming about how they're "rich" and "deserve" high taxes: Keep in mind that this is a town where prices have not always been through the roof. Plenty of average, middle-class working people live there and similarly, many of the homes have been passed down to children who now live there and raise their families.

If I lived in this town, I have no idea what I would do. I certainly wouldn't be able to afford it. Would I have to give up my home? It is absolutely deplorable how the Democrats who run this state only care about Newark, Paterson, Irvington, Camden, etc. and not about the people who actually WORK and PAY TAXES. Now it's come to the point where people will be outright forced from their homes.

And you know what? A lot of dumb middle-class people from the suburbs will still vote for Corzine and the Democrats because they're for the "little guy."

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 AM

390 posts, read 1,507,498 times
The article said the median income is $74,250. How could they afford the houses previously with that modest income? Even without a mortgage if it was inherited $74k seems to require a tight budget. I know some units are rentals not sure if this affects median income figure.
They may be forced to rejoin Ocean Twp.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,910,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
The article said the median income is $74,250. How could they afford the houses previously with that modest income? Even without a mortgage if it was inherited $74k seems to require a tight budget. I know some units are rentals not sure if this affects median income figure.
They may be forced to rejoin Ocean Twp.
As I said in my post above, the prices weren't always that high. Many (most) people in town simply bought houses there, then the values went through the roof. Other homes were one-time summer homes that were passed down and became year-round residences as the area grew.

Yes, these people were fortunate to have made a good investment, but should they be forced from their home simply because it grew in value? The whole town only sends a few kids to school anyway. This state is so messed up

Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 AM

390 posts, read 1,507,498 times
They can rejoin Ocean Twp and pay much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey