Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 AM

8 posts, read 14,804 times

Advertisements

As a real estate appraiser working throughout all areas of northern and central NJ for over 20 years, urban to rural, including Elizabeth a couple of times a week encompassing all the areas described above, working in the daytime is no problem. I meet with many tenants, not living in the best of conditions, and even do many vacant, abandoned structures, so I've seen it all, even some things you wouldn't imagine. I park my car on the street, and it's always there for me when I get back. Either in Elizabeth or Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, etc. throughout my career I have never been in a position of real danger, nor do I ever feel threatened. If the locals know you're just there to do what you have to do, they'll ignore you. I've even had folks see me with a clipboard and come up to me friendly-like and ask me if the house is being sold, etc. Giving others the impression that you belong there as well is the key. Generally, if you carry yourself in a calm, confident manner, you'll be fine.

Of course, all this changes at night. Once dusk settles these neighborhoods change drastically. Set appointments in morning or early afternoon hours, avoid weekends if possible, you'll be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
If you are a professional going into the projects dressed up with a briefcase in your hand and it is obvious that you are on official business you will have absolutely no problem. The criminal element there will avoid you like the plague, especially if you are white. HeatherLynn822: do not be nervous. I am a Hispanic, but believe me if you saw me you would probably think I was a chubby Jewish guy from the suburbs. I used to work for the state of NJ going into the projects in Newark dealing with terrible family situations. I never had one problem. If you remain calm, clip an ID badge to your lapel, and smile and say hello to the people you see you will be fine. My experience was that once people figured out why I was there I was bombarded with questions and asked for advice about all kinds of things.

HeatherLynn 822: What you are doing is noble. Criminals who live in the projects are not going to automatically attack a woman who is going into the communuity in a professional capacity; ESPECIALLY if she is white. Like I said, I guarantee you will be avoided like the plague by any potential criminals. Don't let people sway you into thinking that the projects in Elizabeth, or any other area, is a zoo where people pounce on an outsider like a raw piece of meat. You will be fine at any time of the day. It just is not true. Listen to the news. The victims of violent inner-city crime in our area are mostly other criminals.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
If you are a professional going into the projects dressed up with a briefcase in your hand and it is obvious that you are on official business you will have absolutely no problem. The criminal element there will avoid you like the plague, especially if you are white. HeatherLynn822: do not be nervous. I am a Hispanic, but believe me if you saw me you would probably think I was a chubby Jewish guy from the suburbs. I used to work for the state of NJ going into the projects in Newark dealing with terrible family situations. I never had one problem. If you remain calm, clip an ID badge to your lapel, and smile and say hello to the people you see you will be fine. My experience was that once people figured out why I was there I was bombarded with questions and asked for advice about all kinds of things.

HeatherLynn 822: What you are doing is noble. Criminals who live in the projects are not going to automatically attack a woman who is going into the communuity in a professional capacity; ESPECIALLY if she is white. Like I said, I guarantee you will be avoided like the plague by any potential criminals. Don't let people sway you into thinking that the projects in Elizabeth, or any other area, is a zoo where people pounce on an outsider like a raw piece of meat. You will be fine at any time of the day. It just is not true. Listen to the news. The victims of violent inner-city crime in our area are mostly other criminals.
Thank you so much.... that is very reassuring & I needed to hear it!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
Of course, all this changes at night. Once dusk settles these neighborhoods change drastically. Set appointments in morning or early afternoon hours, avoid weekends if possible, you'll be just fine.
I sure will do my best... but with parents who work, and kids in school, and dayum daylight savings... I fear there are many 5/6pm appointments in my future! Never have to do weekends, thank goodness...

Thank you for your response though... I appreciate hearing from someone who has been through it, and can back up their opinion with 1st person accounts!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 AM

232 posts, read 612,717 times
Quote:
The criminal element there will avoid you like the plague, especially if you are white.

Criminals who live in the projects are not going to automatically attack a woman who is going into the communuity in a professional capacity; ESPECIALLY if she is white.
Been working in Eliz. for 26 years, can't say I agree even 1% about what you said. You think a white female is someone that will be avoided like the plague?? Please give me some of what you're smoking.....
I don't think being white will be any type of guarantee to be left alone. The scum down here may not care what color their victims are but being white is no silver bullet. Especially in the projects, wouldn't even go there during the day..........

Had 2 vehicles stolen during that time, guy killed 2 years ago at an establishment at the end of our street. Not Disneyland down here....

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
There are lots of people who live in the suburbs who go into depressed areas of Newark and Elizabeth everyday in an official capacity (social workers, construction workers, utility workers [PSE&G], teachers, postal workers, visiting nurses, lawyers, etc.). When was the last time you heard a news story about a suburban professional worker being attacked in Newark or Elizabeth?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
There are lots of people who live in the suburbs who go into depressed areas of Newark and Elizabeth everyday in an official capacity (social workers, construction workers, utility workers [PSE&G], teachers, postal workers, visiting nurses, lawyers, etc.). When was the last time you heard a news story about a suburban professional worker being attacked in Newark or Elizabeth?
A professional worker is not necessarily going to be targeted, but I would be worried about getting caught in the cross fire of a fight, shooting, etc. There are always stories about innocent bystanders getting caught in the crossfire of some situations.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:48 AM

232 posts, read 612,717 times
Quote:
Agreed, but your post clearly conveys that if you are white, you have nothing to worry about. I think that is BS. I don't think there is any benefit (might even think it is detrimental) to being a "white woman" in Elizabeth. Do not think you will be "avoided like the plague".

By the way, a few years ago an out of town doctor was shot DEAD in the parking lot of one of the Airport hotels (I think it was the Renaissance?) a couple blocks from my office. Hotel even had a security gate/guardhouse in the parking lot. I would consider him a "suburban professional". Two years ago a white guy from Bloomfield stabbed DEAD in the parking lot of a bar a block away.

I do not think all of Elizabeth is to be feared, but please do not give advice that because you are white, you will not experience any danger. I'm not saying you will necessarily be targeted because you are white but it isn't the benefit you make it seem to be.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Heather, isnt it DYFS policy that there are always 2 people that go into a home? Either to do evals or therapy, or whatever. So the fact that there are 2 of you increases your odds as well.

Having just spent the weekend in Elizabeth, I dont see that its changed that much at all since I left in 04. I may be 6' big hispanic guy but im white and ive never had a problem "in the streets". While there is alot of crime in Elizabeth, I would think very little of it is Random. Just keep your wits, dont drive a new shiney expensive car, and youll most likely be fine.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Heather, isnt it DYFS policy that there are always 2 people that go into a home? Either to do evals or therapy, or whatever. So the fact that there are 2 of you increases your odds as well.
Yes, I believe you are right about the DYFS policy.... However it is not DYFS I am working for... it is a community mental health facility. Though they do receive funding from DYFS, they don't seem to need to adhere to the same guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey