U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM

39 posts, read 72,552 times

Advertisements

We've been in howell for almost 3 years and want to move. We actually want to downsize house a bit. Howell is okay but not really loving it. We live in Northern Howell I guess- close to freehold/farmingdale.
Our kids are 3 and 1.

We're looking all over now just trying to drive around, do some research, etc. Looking to spend around $525,000.

Here are the areas...

Freehold Township
Manalapan
Marlboro- not so much
Colts Neck- kind of expensive

Jackson- heard schools aren't good. A little out of the way... Can get a LOT of house though! (It's Ocean County)
Howell- not so much- but possible

Ocean Township - How are the schools??? Neighborhood looked very nice. What's the demographic?
Eatontown- same questions as with Ocean...
Tinton Falls- Is it nice? Schools?

Shrewsbury- Love the next 4, but are more pricey. Since we're downsizing we may be able to find something though that's affordable.
Middletown
Lincroft (part of Middletown)
Red Bank- Really love RB, but are not sure about the area for families, schools, safety??? I know the HS is good and is in Fair Haven.

Is the Freehold Regional school district better than the Middletown districts? I know there are 6 in the FRHSD. Which are best?
Also, since my kids won't be in high school for quite awhile I am slightly more interested in the elementary/middle schools.

For example, which has the best elem/middle schools? Freehold Twp, Manalapan, Lincroft/Middletown???

We would like to stay "closer" to the beach I think... In a very neighborhood-like place. In Howell we're on a country road and not great for kids. Thanks a million! My head has been spinning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 AM

390 posts, read 992,585 times
I live in Long Branch and am familiar with eastern Monmouth County. I lived and went to school in Ocean Twp. However, I dont have children so am not knowledgeable about other towns school systems other than what people tell me.
Besides the 4 you like, also look into Oceanport and possibly Fair Haven.
If you have a specific question about a town in eastern Monmouth, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
I lived and went to school in Ocean Twp. However, I dont have children so am not knowledgeable about other towns school systems other than what people tell me.
Besides the 4 you like, also look into Oceanport and possibly Fair Haven.
If you have a specific question about a town in eastern Monmouth, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
How is Ocean Township? What's the demographic? Is it a safe, quiet place? How about the school atmosphere? Fair haven seems quite expensive.
What do you know about Oceanport? : ) Thanks!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,756,648 times
Red Bank HS is in Red Bank. Fair Haven shares a high school with Rumson. I drive past the Red Bank HS all the time, and it seems like it's in Fair Haven, but it couldn't possibly be.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Sorry, it's Little Silver

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 AM

390 posts, read 992,585 times
When I went to school Ocean Twp was mostly white and Jewish. The Jews value a good education and were active in school affairs so I would say the education was good but keep in mind this was 25 years ago. School budgets were approved and we had new textbooks and schools updated. Now with several affordable housing complexes in town the demographics are very diversified and I dont know what's the current quality. Sorry.
Oceanport has that small town feel. Students attend Shore Regional HS. The peninsula with Native American streets is a nice quiet neighborhood. The town is very close to the beach, 10 minutes to the Monmouth Mall and Red Bank. I dont know what home prices are currently but there are many modest 4-bed homes.
I said Fair Haven because it also has that small town feel plus kids attend Rumson HS which has an excellent reputation. It's next door to Red Bank which you liked and also close to the beach. But dont know the real estate prices.
As for safety, I'd count Oceanport and Fair Haven as very safe. Ocean less so.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

31 posts, read 70,241 times
With young kids, you would love Fair Haven, Shrewsbury, Little Silver. I live in FH.
Excellent preschools and schools (kids walk or ride their bikes, since the town is only about one square mile.) Lots of family things to do, safe, 5 minutes to the beach.
I'm a realtor here, and would be happy to answer any questions or show you around the area if you would like! Marcia Makoviecki, Weichert

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmakov View Post
With young kids, you would love Fair Haven, Shrewsbury, Little Silver. I live in FH.
Excellent preschools and schools (kids walk or ride their bikes, since the town is only about one square mile.) Lots of family things to do, safe, 5 minutes to the beach.
I'm a realtor here, and would be happy to answer any questions or show you around the area if you would like! Marcia Makoviecki, Weichert
How do Fair Haven and Little Silver differ? Do they have downtown areas?
Is one more pricey than the other? Am I right that FH teens go to Rumson HS and Little Silver is RB Regional?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

1,057 posts, read 495,084 times
It seems like Lincroft (section of Middletown) would be right up your alley. The Middletown schools are generally very good as well, and I believe the ones your children would go to in the Lincroft section are among the best in town.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
It seems like Lincroft (section of Middletown) would be right up your alley. The Middletown schools are generally very good as well, and I believe the ones your children would go to in the Lincroft section are among the best in town.
Having trouble finding affordable home there, but I think it would be great.
$475-$525,000 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey