U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,025,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
LOL really? Surprising, since the Healy (Democratic mayor of JC) goons were out yelling at people as they were entering the Bright Street School a few weeks back.
Were they sober at the time? Or were they nipping from the same stuff their leader likes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,025,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
how did Schundler win in JC? (didn't we have this conversation before?)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,526,010 times
Quote:
1) there are people out there who believe Corzine has done a good job for THEM. And again, isn't that why one votes? That makes them a dim bulb? At least they're voting. And FTR, I'm NOT a Corzine fan.

2) I've asked this question before, but I'd like your take. Assume Christie gets elected....you say "he can't do worse" - what is your definition of success? Mediocrity? What if things stay the same, is that success? My income tax rate has not changed in the past x years (way before Corzine). My property taxes have gone up an average of 3-4% a year during his tenure (which is normal). Based on those 2 most prevalent gripes about him, if I voted for him in Nov, why would I be a dim bulb? If a vote for Christie means the same, what's the difference?
tahiti, a few responses to your questions. In no particular order.

Would you be a dim bulb if you voted for Corzine? I would say yes. On his watch the state shut down, the sales tax was raised, I believe the turnpike and parkway were on the agenda to be sold off (hey, we need money, right?!?!), the state debt has swelled to over 30 billion (that's over 3,000 dollars/resident).

The Katz email issue was the last straw for me regarding King Jon. If he had nothing to hide with Katz, he would have just released the emails, but he chose not to. To me, he's guilty of something.

Let's see what else here. Oh, yeah, the property tax issue. 3-4%/year is nuts. Really, it is. What infuriates me even more about the property taxes is that Corzine was touting his candidacy on permanent property tax relief, but we all know how that turned out this year.

The Democratic party in Jersey is out of control. They want to give middle class residents a break? They should either eliminate or dramatically alter the Abbott scam, consolidate schools, stop pandering to the lowest common denominator of voters, and STOP SPENDING. Jesus Christ, it's not rocket science. Put the godda*m checkbook down, will ya?

This is a good read, and a sobering reminder on how screwed this state is if people like Jon Corzine and his union loving cohorts keep running this show.

Retiree health care benefits are draining state coffers - May. 12, 2009

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM

19,892 posts, read 8,930,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Not a big deal made out of it, but this portends political defeat for Republicans in November:

New Jersey's primary election participation rate was a low 10 percent - NJ.com

10% voter turnout in a competitive primary is pathetic. This indicates to me there aren't very motivated Republican voters in NJ.

It could be that most Republicans didn't see much difference between the two so it doesn't matter which one wins both are preferable to Corzine.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Let me also finish by saying if that Christie was able to win in NJ he damn well better get to work, and quickly.

Mediocrity = failure in my eyes. He will be thrown in the pile of Whitman, Florio, McGreevey, and Corzine.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 PM

11,604 posts, read 20,510,887 times
Quote:
tahiti, a few responses to your questions. In no particular order.

Would you be a dim bulb if you voted for Corzine? I would say yes. On his watch the state shut down, the sales tax was raised, I believe the turnpike and parkway were on the agenda to be sold off (hey, we need money, right?!?!), the state debt has swelled to over 30 billion (that's over 3,000 dollars/resident).

The Katz email issue was the last straw for me regarding King Jon. If he had nothing to hide with Katz, he would have just released the emails, but he chose not to. To me, he's guilty of something.

Let's see what else here. Oh, yeah, the property tax issue. 3-4%/year is nuts. Really, it is. What infuriates me even more about the property taxes is that Corzine was touting his candidacy on permanent property tax relief, but we all know how that turned out this year.

The Democratic party in Jersey is out of control. They want to give middle class residents a break? They should either eliminate or dramatically alter the Abbott scam, consolidate schools, stop pandering to the lowest common denominator of voters, and STOP SPENDING. Jesus Christ, it's not rocket science. Put the godda*m checkbook down, will ya?

This is a good read, and a sobering reminder on how screwed this state is if people like Jon Corzine and his union loving cohorts keep running this show.

Retiree health care benefits are draining state coffers - May. 12, 2009
I find it interesting that you voted for someone who would've self-admittely raise taxes

I don't have time right now to read the link, I will though, although I'm well aware of the severity of pensions and bennies for state workers, and I'm supportive of an overhaul, but honestly I'd be surprised if ANYONE can do it. Corzine is an easy target. It'll be real interesting to see if Christie is elected, what this board will be like in 4 years when he does nothing about it. I suspect the another democratic target will be in the crosshairs and Christie will be given a pass. That's just me though.

Corzine has nothing to do with property taxes!! LOL In the 17 years of homeownership I have never encountered a rise in taxes being blamed on "lack of funding" for education by the state. I blame my 3-4% increase squarely on the shoulders of my Republican Township Committee. Again, Corzine is not my fav, but for some homeowners he did provide a 20% relief check on prop taxes. You may say it's a shell game, but it's real money to real middle class people. Also, didn't he cut the budget this year by over $1B?

Listen, my whole thing in discussing this is the delicious irony in how staunch people are in their partisanship. What's going on in NJ is no different than what's happened over the past 4 years nationally, and how hilarious it is that the crying chat of "CHANGE" at the local level was dismissed as foolish at the national level. It cracks my sh** up.

As for me? I'm going to take a long hard look at Christie and it's very possible I'll vote for him. I found him VERY light on the issues during the primary. Hopefully he has smarts to fine tune his plan and get his message out because I think he has a very real chance of winning. Not that I think he'll accomplish much though.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that you voted for someone who would've self-admittely raise taxes

I don't have time right now to read the link, I will though, although I'm well aware of the severity of pensions and bennies for state workers, and I'm supportive of an overhaul, but honestly I'd be surprised if ANYONE can do it. Corzine is an easy target. It'll be real interesting to see if Christie is elected, what this board will be like in 4 years when he does nothing about it. I suspect the another democratic target will be in the crosshairs and Christie will be given a pass. That's just me though.

Corzine has nothing to do with property taxes!! LOL In the 17 years of homeownership I have never encountered a rise in taxes being blamed on "lack of funding" for education by the state. I blame my 3-4% increase squarely on the shoulders of my Republican Township Committee. Again, Corzine is not my fav, but for some homeowners he did provide a 20% relief check on prop taxes. You may say it's a shell game, but it's real money to real middle class people. Also, didn't he cut the budget this year by over $1B?

Listen, my whole thing in discussing this is the delicious irony in how staunch people are in their partisanship. What's going on in NJ is no different than what's happened over the past 4 years nationally, and how hilarious it is that the crying chat of "CHANGE" at the local level was dismissed as foolish at the national level. It cracks my sh** up.

As for me? I'm going to take a long hard look at Christie and it's very possible I'll vote for him. I found him VERY light on the issues during the primary. Hopefully he has smarts to fine tune his plan and get his message out because I think he has a very real chance of winning. Not that I think he'll accomplish much though.
I would rather have it known that taxes would be raised to my face instead of being lied to and then pull the old switch-a-roo. That has a lot to be said about someones character and not having some stammering idiot introduce you as America's Mayor - then using the default "well it's all Bush's fault!" lame ass excuse. Watch the company you keep. Bush had very little to do with this mess that is called New Jersey.

I applauded Corzine for the 20% reduction in taxes, but of course that was the one of the first things to get axed once he was backed into a corner. He's a slippery little Wall Street s**t, isn't he? He couldn't even vote for the Mayor of Hoboken. Gotta love the "do as I say, not as I do" mantra.

Again, Corzine just can't be a big boy and take a stand. He cut the budget, big whoop. I coked out chimp can just point to numbers/programs and say "here, this looks like it can go". NorthJersey.com: Corzine: State will cut another $1.2B (http://www.northjersey.com/news/njpolitics/Corzine_State_will_cut_another_12B.html - broken link) Where was King Jon three years ago when he promised to get our financial house in order?

As far as the national level is concerned, we did indeed need change. The GOP on the NATIONAL level totally sh*t the bed and deserved what they got - and I feel not an ounce of sympathy for them.

I agree with you that Christie is very light on the issues, and that concerns me. But once again, if he's willing to clamp down on the drunken spending spree in Trenton, then he has my vote. There is no way in hell I would pull the lever for him just because he's a Republican.

In the JC elections, I voted mainly for Democrats. I voted independent for POTUS, and I will be voting GOP for NJ Governor. I hold no ties to any political party. Doing so just goes to show how simple minded people are when they are afraid to vote out of their comfort zone.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,826,115 times
Quote:

tahiti - Well said! All too often, an election is regarded as a chance to "right all the wrongs" which have been in place for decades. This one is no different. NJ's politcal structure and its many methods of operation would have to be smashed with a sledgehammer and re-built from the ground up. One man or one election is "woefully deficient" for this monumental task. The "fiscal solutions" to get NJ's house in order would probably elicit screams from the populace that would be heard in Hawaii! So I suspect this election will end up being a Band-Aid on a "bullet wound" as usual!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,908,700 times
Quote:
...and sometimes inexperience is a good thing.

Will Christie save NJ? Probably not, but anything has to be better than the 19 ring goat rodeo that's running this state into the ground now.

"...and sometimes inexperience is a good thing."

I think we need a Business Man type, because running a State in this case is like running a business while keeping the Residents happy as the end game all amounts to Dollar$ and Cent$.

"but anything has to be better than the 19 ring goat rodeo that's running this state into the ground now."

I agree!! LOL!!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM

11,604 posts, read 20,510,887 times
Quote:
I would rather have it known that taxes would be raised to my face instead of being lied to and then pull the old switch-a-roo. That has a lot to be said about someones character and not having some stammering idiot introduce you as America's Mayor - then using the default "well it's all Bush's fault!" lame ass excuse. Watch the company you keep. Bush had very little to do with this mess that is called New Jersey.

I applauded Corzine for the 20% reduction in taxes, but of course that was the one of the first things to get axed once he was backed into a corner. He's a slippery little Wall Street s**t, isn't he? He couldn't even vote for the Mayor of Hoboken. Gotta love the "do as I say, not as I do" mantra.

Again, Corzine just can't be a big boy and take a stand. He cut the budget, big whoop. I coked out chimp can just point to numbers/programs and say "here, this looks like it can go". NorthJersey.com: Corzine: State will cut another $1.2B (http://www.northjersey.com/news/njpolitics/Corzine_State_will_cut_another_12B.html - broken link) Where was King Jon three years ago when he promised to get our financial house in order?

As far as the national level is concerned, we did indeed need change. The GOP on the NATIONAL level totally sh*t the bed and deserved what they got - and I feel not an ounce of sympathy for them.

I agree with you that Christie is very light on the issues, and that concerns me. But once again, if he's willing to clamp down on the drunken spending spree in Trenton, then he has my vote. There is no way in hell I would pull the lever for him just because he's a Republican.

In the JC elections, I voted mainly for Democrats. I voted independent for POTUS, and I will be voting GOP for NJ Governor. I hold no ties to any political party. Doing so just goes to show how simple minded people are when they are afraid to vote out of their comfort zone.
I know you're not a party toting dude, but you're in the minority.

I seriously cannot fathom the sheer venom for this man. I categorize him as "ineffective". He did NOT create NJ's problems, nor did he fix them.

You said Corzine is taxing residents out of the state (you did say that, right or am I thinking of someone else?) and then you applaud Lonegan for raising taxes on most residents? Then............

You state in one breath Christie has your vote if he clamps down on drunken spending, but in the next breath villify Corzine for cutting $1B from the budget. WTH dude!!!!? LOL

Christie will NOT:

- change the teacher's union
- change state bennies and pensions
- consolidate school districts
- abolish Abbott

and that, my friend, will be his downfall, because without revamp of those 4 things, do NOT count on your taxes going down. If he somehow manages to pull that rabbit out of his hat, I'd be really surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey