Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
In Newark, Irvington, Paterson, etc its well over 90% voting democrat. In republican strong points, you get maybe 55% or 60% voting republican...
and the other 40-45% voting democratic? why is that? and if you mean they don't vote at all, shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM

199 posts, read 526,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and the other 40-45% voting democratic? why is that? and if you mean they don't vote at all, shame on them.
There is that thing called third parties, as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
...and sometimes inexperience is a good thing.

If the angry bearded clown with the sweater vest wins this election, I will be thoroughly convinced that New Jersey has the dimmest voters on the planet.

This isn't about Bush, Cheney, or ********, as Corzine preached last night, but rather, this is about getting NJ back on track. Creating jobs, ebbing the mass exodus of Jersey residents, curbing a soul crushing income tax, curbing property taxes that are so insane that people in other states think I am kidding when I tell them a lot of homes are approaching/have approached five figures.

Will Christie save NJ? Probably not, but anything has to be better than the 19 ring goat rodeo that's running this state into the ground now. There needs to be a clear understanding that the social issues (gay marriage, abortion, gun control, etc...) need to be put on the back burner this time around, because we are faced with a fiscal crisis.

I always study each candidate (Dem, GOP, others) and cast my vote from there, regardless of political affiliation. This time around my vote seems more important because this plane is hurtling towards the side of the mountain at breakneck speed. I will sadly vote Christie since I am absolutely disgusted with the whole program and he's just the lesser of two dim bulbs.

I literally LOL'd when I heard Bumbling Biden call Jonny Boy "America's Governor". America's Governor? Holy hell, in what nightmare?
1) there are people out there who believe Corzine has done a good job for THEM. And again, isn't that why one votes? That makes them a dim bulb? At least they're voting. And FTR, I'm NOT a Corzine fan.

2) I've asked this question before, but I'd like your take. Assume Christie gets elected....you say "he can't do worse" - what is your definition of success? Mediocrity? What if things stay the same, is that success? My income tax rate has not changed in the past x years (way before Corzine). My property taxes have gone up an average of 3-4% a year during his tenure (which is normal). Based on those 2 most prevalent gripes about him, if I voted for him in Nov, why would I be a dim bulb? If a vote for Christie means the same, what's the difference?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
There is that thing called third parties, as well.
which is who and when was a 3rd party ever a relevant contender?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM

199 posts, read 526,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
which is who and when was a 3rd party ever a relevant contender?
Never said they were, but that doesn't mean a 3rd party candidate can't take away votes from either of the two main candidates.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:

If the angry bearded clown with the sweater vest wins this election, I will be thoroughly convinced that New Jersey has the dimmest voters on the planet.
This isn't about Bush, Cheney, or ********, as Corzine preached last night, but rather, this is about getting NJ back on track. Creating jobs, ebbing the mass exodus of Jersey residents, curbing a soul crushing income tax, curbing property taxes that are so insane that people in other states think I am kidding when I tell them a lot of homes are approaching/have approached five figures.

Will Christie save NJ? Probably not, but anything has to be better than the 19 ring goat rodeo that's running this state into the ground now. There needs to be a clear understanding that the social issues (gay marriage, abortion, gun control, etc...) need to be put on the back burner this time around, because we are faced with a fiscal crisis.

I always study each candidate (Dem, GOP, others) and cast my vote from there, regardless of political affiliation. This time around my vote seems more important because this plane is hurtling towards the side of the mountain at breakneck speed. I will sadly vote Christie since I am absolutely disgusted with the whole program and he's just the lesser of two dim bulbs.

I literally LOL'd when I heard Bumbling Biden call Jonny Boy "America's Governor". America's Governor? Holy hell, in what nightmare?

Love your desciption of Corzine...

Glad I missed Biden, somebody needs to follow him around with a roll of duct tape so when he starts to open his mouth they can quickly silence it

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
damn, I wanted that loonie Lonegan to win -- it'd be easier to marginalize him

still, Christie can be taken down... after all, he's a hand-picked acolyte of George W. Bush, and Christie has no experience as a chief executive (or as a lawyer!)

There was someone else elected recently who didn't have any chief executive experience.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,785,658 times
Quote:

I'll say it till I drop dead: abortion, gun control, gay marriage etc are 'horse$hit' issues, which are intended to appeal to the pathos of many members of the voting public while distracting from the far more important implications of tax negotiations and budgetary issues at hand. A 1 cent raise in the state sales tax, a 2% raise in the upper income tax bracket, an annual 3 to 4% rise in the property tax occur far more frequently, and impact far more people, than someone firing off 200 rounds from a Thompson sub-machine gun in a K-Mart, or Percy and Harvey having the ability to tie the knot on the balcony of their 700k condo in a gentrified section of Asbury Park.

The bread and butter issues don't always make the cover of Us or People magazine, but they are the most substanative, affect the masses and quality of life of the greatest amount of people.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'll say it till I drop dead: abortion, gun control, gay marriage etc are 'horse$hit' issues, which are intended to appeal to the pathos of many members of the voting public while distracting from the far more important implications of tax negotiations and budgetary issues at hand. A 1 cent raise in the state sales tax, a 2% raise in the upper income tax bracket, an annual 3 to 4% rise in the property tax occur far more frequently, and impact far more people, than someone firing off 200 rounds from a Thompson sub-machine gun in a K-Mart, or Percy and Harvey having the ability to tie the knot on the balcony of their 700k condo in a gentrified section of Asbury Park.

The bread and butter issues don't always make the cover of Us or People magazine, but they are the most substanative, affect the masses and quality of life of the greatest amount of people.
Amen to that....agree 100%
Those issues and the hoopla the politicians create over them is to deflect from the real issues at hand

Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Unless you are a far right winger (all in fun folks, all in fun)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey