U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM

256 posts, read 717,155 times

Advertisements

Chris Christie defeats Steve Lonegan in Republican governor primary - NJ.com

I was leaning towards Lonegan, but I am ok with this. I think christie is a genuine guy who will do what he thinks is right and i am with him on most issues.

I just hope that cutting taxes and eliminating government waste is a priority to him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,786,405 times
I voted for Steve but Chris will do a fine job IF he can take down the powerhouse Corzine.. Hopefully he can

Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 AM

636 posts, read 1,220,302 times
Ugh, more of the same from NJ

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
IMHO, he can easily win if he runs a semi-effective campaign. it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,419,430 times
I think it will be a close race between Christie and Corzine, but in the end I think Corzine will win.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think it will be a close race between Christie and Corzine, but in the end I think Corzine will win.
I don't think it will be that close.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I don't think it will be that close.
The theme over the past year has been "change" - I think it'll be close. Corzine is simply not popular - think Florio.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,419,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
The theme over the past year has been "change" - I think it'll be close. Corzine is simply not popular - think Florio.
I agree, but I also think people will vote Corzine just because he is a Democrat. Especially when he gets Obama and Clinton to stump for him.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,968,929 times
damn, I wanted that loonie Lonegan to win -- it'd be easier to marginalize him

still, Christie can be taken down... after all, he's a hand-picked acolyte of George W. Bush, and Christie has no experience as a chief executive (or as a lawyer!)

Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I remember Florio quite vividly. After campaigning on a no new taxes pledge in 1989, and defeating that stiff, Jim Courter, he ramrodded a 2.8 billion tax increase within two months of taking office (sound familiar? Think of Bill Clinton in 1993. It only took him 3 weeks though). In 1991, you couldn't drive more than 2 miles in NJ without seeing a "Florio Free in 1993" or "Fire Florio, Get DelTufo" bumper sticker. The outrage towards Florio seemed immense. But something funny happens in NJ when you drive towards NYC or Philly. Those types of bumper stickers begin to disappear. Or at least they did back when I still lived in NJ, back in the early 90s. If you are living in a place such as Morris or Ocean County, living a relatively insular life, you really begin to believe that anti-Florio or anti-Corzine sentiment. But in reality, all it takes to nullify that sentiment is to have several busloads of people being driven to the polls in Newark, Camden, Trenton, by very, VERY organized and VERY motivated people, the ones who work behind the scenes for very powerful state special interest groups. Much like the Bolsheviks of 1917, these people are incredibly disciplined, and incredibly organized. Every election day in NJ, they circle the horses, get out their rank and file, and get their officials re-elected.

Getting back to my original point, Whitman won election in 1993 by 1%.(And Bill Clinton nationally was MUCH more unpopular than Obama is now) But Florio had amassed a 10 point lead in most polls prior to the election. The real question is: why did he even have a lead? Were people so forgetful over the past two years (91 and 92) to remember what type of tax increase Florio ran through the legislature with perpetuity? Or is it just because you have a core, unmoveable 45% block of likely voters in the state that will pull the lever for a candidate that resembles a tomato can, as long as it has a "D" in front of it?

You have to give the Democrats credit. They are more disciplined, more focused, more organized, and more united, when it comes to politics. In New Jersey especially. And in this case, you have an opposition candidate that talks about lowering taxes without any substanative plan as how to do it. Lonegan was going to make the voting public take a dose of Castor oil, and that didn't sit well on the Republican side. That's really too bad. Because a good part of the reason NJ (and the country) is in the shape it is today is because politicians from both parties pass popular programs without raising taxes to pay for them. Innately, we are selfish. As a population, we want these programs, and we don't want to pay for them. This leads, eventually, to the devaluation of the currency. And that, if you really split hairs, is why NJ has devolved into the state it has today. Too many people prefer an abundance of government in their lives, in some fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or