Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,162,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well wait a minute your beef with the replacement staff is that their incentive is money don't you work for money too?
I don't have a beef with them making money, my beef is with the people who are tyring to infer that the nurses who are regulalr employees of the hospital don't care about the patients or are taking hissy fits and going on strike. Everyone goes to work for the money, sorry unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it costs money to eat, and the bottom line is none of us can live without food. Actually, food, clothing and shelter, Maslow's hierarchy, these are the things noone can live without, and they cost money.

HOWEVER, I don't also buy this martyr crap that one of the previous posters tried to sell the rest of us about how they had to leave their families to work. Sorry, but that's a CHOICE they are making. They don't have to do it, they can choose to make far less money and live close enough to a medical establishment to work and remain with their families without having to travel.

I don't care if you want to do travel nursing, that's your business and more power to you, but don't then act as if it's a sacrifice to do it. Knock yourself out, make your money. I have friends who do it, but they're not crossing picket lines. That's where I draw the line. Sorry, I won't cross a picket line.

By the way, you get paid too, don't you? Or are you going to work for free??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,684,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I don't have a beef with them making money, my beef is with the people who are tyring to infer that the nurses who are regulalr employees of the hospital don't care about the patients or are taking hissy fits and going on strike. Everyone goes to work for the money, sorry unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it costs money to eat, and the bottom line is none of us can live without food. Actually, food, clothing and shelter, Maslow's hierarchy, these are the things noone can live without, and they cost money.

HOWEVER, I don't also buy this martyr crap that one of the previous posters tried to sell the rest of us about how they had to leave their families to work. Sorry, but that's a CHOICE they are making. They don't have to do it, they can choose to make far less money and live close enough to a medical establishment to work and remain with their families without having to travel.

I don't care if you want to do travel nursing, that's your business and more power to you, but don't then act as if it's a sacrifice to do it. Knock yourself out, make your money. I have friends who do it, but they're not crossing picket lines. That's where I draw the line. Sorry, I won't cross a picket line.

By the way, you get paid too, don't you? Or are you going to work for free??
Hey I am with you, there was another poster who said nurses do not work for money but for the love of the patients. What a crock. As you correctly point out everyone works for money!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Do you really think that nurses make $80,000 BASE pay? That's with all the overtime added on, and they all have to work a lot of overtime because of the staffing issue. But that side, from what I understand, the nurses are not asking for a raise in base pay (beyond maybe the marginal cost-of-life raise to be kept intact). In addition to wanting better staffing, they are fighting against other things too...I think I heard that the hospital wants the nurses to work required OT without OT pay (only regular pay).

If YOU (or your child or your spouse) gets hit by a car and ends up in the ER, do you really want to be cared for by a nurse that is on the 12th hour of her shift, has had to pee for the past 2 hours, has had to forgo her meal break as usual, is making unfair OT wages, has 8 other crying, bleeding, sniffling, dripping, peeing, defecating, complaining combative patients (and their worried, in-the-way family members), and 3 drunken and/or high illegals who can't speak English and don't have insurance, IN ADDITION TO YOU?

By blasting these nurses for being 'selfish' and supporting agency/travel/scab nurses, that is EXACTLY what you are saying. A temp is a temp is a temp. Have you ever hired a temp, or been one? Yes, they have skills, and NO they are not out to deliberately hurt anyone, but when a temp walks in at the last minute...they don't know a patient's history...they don't know what's coming down the pipeline. And you know what? They don't have too much invested, in the long-term, for that hospital.

This isn't about the nurses and their union being 'selfish'. You want to talk about selfish, look into the monetary and other types of compensation that the CEO and the upper management get. Look into what they are willing to give up or compromise for themselves. (NOTHING)

Don't put your hang ups about unions, the current economy and the state of the U.S. healthcare system on these nurses.
Exactly. Well said. Welcome to our world, it is exactly as you describe in every ER and every nursing ward. Can't tell you how many times I and many other nurses haven't have time to eat or pee...many times I'm going around for two hours working and saying I have to pee....I have to pee....I have to pee....and this goes on for two hours on average because I don't have time before I finally can't hold out anymore.

As far as making $80K, we live in the most expensive area in the country next to...Marin County California? So the reason the salary is higher than other areas of the state or country is the cost of living. We have to live here to work here and it's very expensive. And to make that much, I would have to work full-time and that salary would include the shift differentials I get for sacrificing weekends and holidays, plus I've been there 10 years and I have 2 degrees, and 14 years of experience.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that nurses make $80,000 BASE pay? That's with all the overtime added on, and they all have to work a lot of overtime because of the staffing issue. But that side, from what I understand, the nurses are not asking for a raise in base pay (beyond maybe the marginal cost-of-life raise to be kept intact). In addition to wanting better staffing, they are fighting against other things too...I think I heard that the hospital wants the nurses to work required OT without OT pay (only regular pay).

If YOU (or your child or your spouse) gets hit by a car and ends up in the ER, do you really want to be cared for by a nurse that is on the 12th hour of her shift, has had to pee for the past 2 hours, has had to forgo her meal break as usual, is making unfair OT wages, has 8 other crying, bleeding, sniffling, dripping, peeing, defecating, complaining combative patients (and their worried, in-the-way family members), and 3 drunken and/or high illegals who can't speak English and don't have insurance, IN ADDITION TO YOU?

By blasting these nurses for being 'selfish' and supporting agency/travel/scab nurses, that is EXACTLY what you are saying. A temp is a temp is a temp. Have you ever hired a temp, or been one? Yes, they have skills, and NO they are not out to deliberately hurt anyone, but when a temp walks in at the last minute...they don't know a patient's history...they don't know what's coming down the pipeline. And you know what? They don't have too much invested, in the long-term, for that hospital.

This isn't about the nurses and their union being 'selfish'. You want to talk about selfish, look into the monetary and other types of compensation that the CEO and the upper management get. Look into what they are willing to give up or compromise for themselves. (NOTHING)

Don't put your hang ups about unions, the current economy and the state of the U.S. healthcare system on these nurses.

Read the article they are asking for more money and they are the highest paid hospital nurses in the state and yes that is their compensation overtime etc. so what. I want to control health care costs they are too high and this kind of thing only contributes to it.

You are putting your hangups about CEO pay ahead of everthing. The current state of the economy and US healthcare requires that everyone including nurses sacrifice.

I am a pharmacist and we work every bit as hard as nurses and we are being asked to sacrifice too, but you don't see pharmacists going on strike.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hey I am with you, there was another poster who said nurses do not work for money but for the love of the patients. What a crock. As you correctly point out everyone works for money!
Absolutely! Now if I won the lottery tomorrow, would I still be doing what I'm doing now? Hell no. I do love the work. I could do without the WORK ENVIRONMENT, and the screwed up hours. Doesn't mean I wouldn't work in some other area of nursing, money would give me the freedom to do something different with my background. And I would probably volunteer in underserved areas too, and in other countries, such as Doctors Without Borders and stuff...and maybe start some sort of clinic with my winnings for people without medical benefits, which pretty soon will be all of us.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,941,412 times
Quote:
Read the article they are asking for more money and they are the highest paid hospital nurses in the state and yes that is their compensation overtime etc. so what. I want to control health care costs they are too high and this kind of thing only contributes to it.

You are putting your hangups about CEO pay ahead of everthing. The current state of the economy and US healthcare requires that everyone including nurses sacrifice.

I am a pharmacist and we work every bit as hard as nurses and we are being asked to sacrifice too, but you don't see pharmacists going on strike.
What are pharmacists being asked to sacrifice?

You guys make even more than $80,000 less than a year out of pharm school, and start making six figures soon thereafter...and that's BASE, isn't it?

Gimme a break.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
What are pharmacists being asked to sacrifice?

You guys make even more than $80,000 less than a year out of pharm school, and start making six figures soon thereafter...and that's BASE, isn't it?

Gimme a break.
It is now 6 years of school crushing student loans. Decreased reimbursement from all payer sources. No reimbursement for cognitive skills (counseling).

Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 18,324 times
Quote:
Well your mother and aunt are not telling you the whole story about the strike, in addition to staffing it is about money.

NorthJersey.com: UPDATE: Hospital, nurses union ordered back to bargaining table

No one doubts nurses work hard but these are tough economic times and we all must sacrifice, even union members. Isn't that what Obama talks about shared sacrifice. Well the nurses can share in the sacrifice too.

Wow and look at this little beauty.

Englewood’s nurses are “among the highest paid registered nurses at any hospital in the state” and the average salary is close to $100,000. Margiotta said. Last year, 165 of Englewood’s nurses made more than that, she said, adding “They also enjoy excellent benefits.’’
Union president Michele McLaughlin said the average nurse’s salary is closer to $80,000 - based on information provided by the hospital.

$80,000 or $100,000 that is a lot of money and they are looking for more?!
Terribly sorry, but I don't think that you have the whole story. THE NURSES offered to work an extra half hour every day without pay in exchange for more staffing. The hospital said 'Sure we'll take that - but nothing in return.' Margiotta's statement is a wee bit of an exaggerated annoyance. That $100,000 salary you keep throwing up in the wind is with EXUBERANT over time.

Just so you're aware the C.E.O. of the Hospital makes between $300,000 and $700,000. Another thing - that person's salary alone could pay for 9 more nurses.

The scabs can make $3,325 a week and if you would like to check that out you can go on Us Nursing Corp - but the hospital can't make a settlement with their own nurses.

usnursingcorp.com: The Leading Healthcare Jobs Site on the Net

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM

636 posts, read 1,419,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Yes, the government get rid of union workers.

Oh wait, government workers are 5 times more likely to belong to a union than non-government workers. That seems to be the opposite of how the government runs a workforce.
Come on, the Fed IS the biggest union in the nation.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,698,558 times
hmmmmmm

Nurses picket Englewood Hospital and Medical Center - NJ.com

The union missed the deadline so the hospital locked out the nurses, and the hospital already had replacements in place. boo hoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey