Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You got it.
i think the schooling for a pharmacist is more demanding. however, when it comes to workload i think pharmacists have it easy. its also a position with great demand that is paid very well (with the added benefit of easy work). if regulations require a pharmacy to always have a pharmacist around when they are open then the government has created a demand (and increased the cost of healthcare).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think the schooling for a pharmacist is more demanding. however, when it comes to workload i think pharmacists have it easy. its also a position with great demand that is paid very well (with the added benefit of easy work). if regulations require a pharmacy to always have a pharmacist around when they are open then the government has created a demand (and increased the cost of healthcare).
Again you base your thought that being a pharmacist is easy on what? It would be absurd to have the pharmacy open without a pharmacist.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Again you base your thought that being a pharmacist is easy on what? It would be absurd to have the pharmacy open without a pharmacist.
well, i know a pharmacist. right out of school he got offered 110k to work a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule in florida.

the doctor prescribes the medication. the pharmacist has assistants to do the dispensing. i dont see why you really need a pharmacist there.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
well, i know a pharmacist. right out of school he got offered 110k to work a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule in florida.

the doctor prescribes the medication. the pharmacist has assistants to do the dispensing. i dont see why you really need a pharmacist there.
Wow, you know a pharmacist so you know all about pharmacy? I see.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
who said i know all about pharmacy?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
who said i know all about pharmacy?
It is clear you don't know much. The next time there is an interaction with your medication or a contraindication tell the pharmacist you would prefer for the technician to handle it. Or if your insurance plan requires a therapeutic interchange I am sure the tech will be able to resolve the issue. Your right who needs pharmacists.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It is clear you don't know much. The next time there is an interaction with your medication or a contraindication tell the pharmacist you would prefer for the technician to handle it. Or if your insurance plan requires a therapeutic interchange I am sure the tech will be able to resolve the issue. Your right who needs pharmacists.

so you are saying they dont do absolutely nothing, wonderful. considering the doctor prescribes the medication and knows what other drugs you are taking, he is just double checking the doctor's work (if they even bother).

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
so you are saying they dont do absolutely nothing, wonderful. considering the doctor prescribes the medication and knows what other drugs you are taking, he is just double checking the doctor's work (if they even bother).
Ay yay yay, have a nice day.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
Quote:
i dont argue with your hard work. i dont really want to judge either side except to see that the hospital is a business and they have a right to decide how they want to operate. the nurses are employees and have a right to leave the job as they wish. i believe in nyc it is easy for an RN starting out to 70k. it generally seems like there is a nurse shortage which is why many places are understaffed and many nurses are overworked. to their benefit, this helps ensure nurses job security and decent pay compared to the education required to get their license. its a trade off (and im sure varies from place to place). however, how i see it, you can get a BSN after a 4 year degree and earn earn 70k while if you majored in almost anything else you would probably be happy to walk out with 30-40k. if someone in college brings up the topic of what to major in, i say nursing. (i also like teaching but its not for the money, for the coziness of the job)

Yes, you can walk out of college and get $70K around here and maybe in NYC, but the cost of living here is astronomical, a small crappy apartment down the street from me is over $1200/month before utilities, my ex-husband got a nice, modest two bedroom apartment a few years ago in the next town over and it was $1525 before utilities/month. In NYC, it's not uncommon for the rent on a similar apt to be $3000/month. HOWEVER, you may start out at $70K, but you can't move up in salary the way some people can who start out in the $30-$40K range, do you think 15 years later working for the same company in the same line of work they would only be making $10-$15K more than when they started??? It's one of the only industries where I can be sitting next to the nurse who's been at my hospital for 25 years (there are 2 of them where I am) and they're lucky if they are making $5K more than me. Very little upward mobility in salaries. And the people in administration make far less than their counterparts in other industries. They would be getting at least twice the pay for what they are doing anywhere else. Yes, there's job security, but how long can people keep it up??? Unless you get a master's degree or move into administration, there's gonna be come a time when your body gives out and you just can't do the work anymore. I think about it every day...wondering how much longer I can withstand 13 hour shifts and the lifting pushing and pulling involved. I know nurses young and old with bad backs who have had to be on disability for quite a while and once that happens, it's an issue forever.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM

276 posts, read 1,458,699 times
Quote:
i am not saying nursing is the easiest job to do, but as far as i have seen, it is the easiest job to get the education and go out there and earn a disproportionate amount of money.

No, that would be teaching (ducking).

Seriously, the pay quoted in this thread - salaries upward or 70K - are for RNs with at least 4 year degrees, and usually they have additional specialized certifications. As a previous poster mentioned, many hospitals are phasing out using RNs with diplomas or associates degrees. And these nurses salaries are much lower. FWIW, all the highly rated hospitals I've worked at do not hire nurses without 4year degrees - and if there are nurses there with associate degrees they usually have worked there a long, long time.

I would never complain that nurses don't make enough money especially in NJ! We work are asses off and are usually well compensated for it. I do complain the sometimes the conditions really suck - I don't think I have ever sat down and had lunch in my 10 years in the field, 12 hour shifts that turn into 14 hour ones. Like other professions there are easy jobs and hard ones within the field. The stinker for me has always been the holiday and weekend requirement that comes with most positions. But eh, I chose this profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey