Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,312 times

Advertisements

And hires unqualified "scabs" as replacements. I would strongly suggest anyone from this area avoid sending your family members to this hospital if you care about their well being. This hospital obviously could care less about it's employees as well as the well being of it's patients. Hiring 250 temporary "scabs" from around the country to replace 650 hard working employees is a disgrace. Nursing is a back breaking thankless job. These Englewood nurses need the public's support against typical corporate greed. Personally, I'm calling the hospital to express my outrage and demand they get back to the bargaining table and give their nurses a fair contract.

NorthJersey.com: UPDATE: Englewood nurses and hospital not talking about return to negotiating table
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
And hires unqualified "scabs" as replacements. I would strongly suggest anyone from this area avoid sending your family members to this hospital if you care about their well being. This hospital obviously could care less about it's employees as well as the well being of it's patients. Hiring 250 temporary "scabs" from around the country to replace 650 hard working employees is a disgrace. Nursing is a back breaking thankless job. These Englewood nurses need the public's support against typical corporate greed. Personally, I'm calling the hospital to express my outrage and demand they get back to the bargaining table and give their nurses a fair contract.

NorthJersey.com: UPDATE: Englewood nurses and hospital not talking about return to negotiating table

Hey this is what nationalized health care will look like. Get used to it! The only way the government will be able to save money is by cutting services and contracts!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post

I would be more inclined to go to Englewood hospital now. You at least know these "scab" nurses are there to help people, not throw a hissy fit and go on strike.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM

8 posts, read 18,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
I would be more inclined to go to Englewood hospital now. You at least know these "scab" nurses are there to help people, not throw a hissy fit and go on strike.

Only too bad that whenever the scabs go in something terrible happens. In the '80's there was a death; and more recently a hip replacement on the wrong hip. Don't even try to blame the nurses and other health care professionals for this when the hospital is being uncooperative itself. Maybe if you knew all of the facts you wouldn't make comments like this. Some of these nurses have been there for over 30 years and have dedicated their lives to helping people without asking for even a thank you in return. You are an ignorant person for even suggesting that the scabs are there to help people. They're there to get paid; and they really have no self respect or care for anyone considering how much they paid attention to that patient who needed a hip replacement on the opposite hip.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSuporter View Post
You are an ignorant person for even suggesting that the scabs are there to help people.
And you are out of your third grade mind to think these scabs are there to hurt people. This isn't Chechnya.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Ummm....ok the scab nurses aren't there to hurt people, but the main reason they're there is for the money, honey. Period.

The hospitals going through strikes or freezing out nurses usually pay a ton of money to scabs because they consider it much cheaper than giving in and making the concessions the employees are requesting and they have far more money than individuals do so they can hold out and wait until the employees give in.

I once saw an ad advertising for nurses to work in a hospital during a strike and this was years ago and I desperately needed the money but couldn't bring myself to cross a picket line and they were offering something along the lines of $12K for a month's work, and that was about twice the going rate for nurses at the time....

I'm sure the majority provide decent nursing care, and they are still required to adhere to the state standards of practice, but you should see what they pay these people. And no I don't work at Englewood, I work at Hackensack. Btw, the nurses are not asking for money, they're asking for better staffing. They were willing to donate a half hour more a day unpaid for more staffing but the hospital said no. Staffing is always and issue at every hospital. I can't even begin to explain to you how hard a job it is and how much being chronically understaffed and overworked affects nurses.

P.S. They didn't "throw a hissy fit and go on strike." They showed up to work and the hospital locked them out and wouldn't let them in.

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 06-03-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Hey this is what nationalized health care will look like. Get used to it! The only way the government will be able to save money is by cutting services and contracts!
Yes, the government get rid of union workers.

Oh wait, government workers are 5 times more likely to belong to a union than non-government workers. That seems to be the opposite of how the government runs a workforce.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM

12 posts, read 30,015 times
Default In defense of replacement nurses

I am a travel nurse. Travel nurses (who also work as replacement nurses) are highly qualified and experienced nurses. Some are the best in the land. They have decided after years of working in a hospital to use that talent and experience to be able to go other places.

Travel nurses must spend a lot of time, money and effort to become qualified to work for an agency. Agencies are extremely picky, and the hospitals that use agency nurses have strenous requirements; more so than if a nurse just hired on locally.

We have to maintain numerous state licenses; go through FBI background checks and fingerprinting; drug screens, and continous skills checklists and testing. We have to be highly adaptable, and get along with people.

Yes, we make good money. But often, we do not work year-round, so the money we earn has to stretch, and usually isn't any more than a person would make in a 'regular' job.

Nursing is highly stressful no matter where or how you work. But it galled me to read on here that we don't care about our patients, and are 'non-experienced' because that is simply a flat-out lie, and ignorant of the facts.

Strikes are stressfull on everyone; it throws the hospital into mayhem. With very little orientation, we have to come in and hit the floor running. We love meeting new people in the hospitals, and seeing a new place. We are pleasant, and work hard to help the patients feel safe and comfortable.

By the way, 'scab' is a term to denote a union member employee that crosses the picket line to work. We do not fit that description.

Thanks for reading; I hope those that didn't know or understand what replacement nurses really were, will have a better understanding now. We come from all across the country; leaving our families to care for the patients that would have no one to care for them otherwise, which is tantamount to patient abandonment. And THAT is a crime.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Yes, the government get rid of union workers.

Oh wait, government workers are 5 times more likely to belong to a union than non-government workers. That seems to be the opposite of how the government runs a workforce.

It did wonders for the UAW didn't it? Just think of health care like GM.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ummm....ok the scab nurses aren't there to hurt people, but the main reason they're there is for the money, honey. Period.

The hospitals going through strikes or freezing out nurses usually pay a ton of money to scabs because they consider it much cheaper than giving in and making the concessions the employees are requesting and they have far more money than individuals do so they can hold out and wait until the employees give in.

I once saw an ad advertising for nurses to work in a hospital during a strike and this was years ago and I desperately needed the money but couldn't bring myself to cross a picket line and they were offering something along the lines of $12K for a month's work, and that was about twice the going rate for nurses at the time....

I'm sure the majority provide decent nursing care, and they are still required to adhere to the state standards of practice, but you should see what they pay these people. And no I don't work at Englewood, I work at Hackensack. Btw, the nurses are not asking for money, they're asking for better staffing. They were willing to donate a half hour more a day unpaid for more staffing but the hospital said no. Staffing is always and issue at every hospital. I can't even begin to explain to you how hard a job it is and how much being chronically understaffed and overworked affects nurses.

P.S. They didn't "throw a hissy fit and go on strike." They showed up to work and the hospital locked them out and wouldn't let them in.
Well wait a minute your beef with the replacement staff is that their incentive is money don't you work for money too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey