U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM

138 posts, read 385,713 times
I will second downtown Jersey City. I lived there for 3 years and loved it. My commute downtown was about 35 minutes. You would probably have to up your budget a little, though. A quick scan of Craiglist pulled up these downtown:

Downtown Jersey City-Walk to Path (Grove St. and Newport) train to NYC (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1204364085.html - broken link) - only $1400 (wow)
Spacious 2 BR in Elevator Bldg, NEW h/w floors - Walk to Park & PATH (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1203911109.html - broken link) - $1550
2 BDR,2 Baths downtown,jc (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1205123595.html - broken link) - $1675
___________________OH THAT BACKYARD! plus 2-BEDROOMS_____ (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1204683122.html - broken link) - $1700
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,849,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperaffection View Post
I think the determining factors are commute time, price, and a self sufficient neighborhood (ie groceries, a cafe, pharmacy, dry cleaner, maybe a park) within walking or short driving distance. Socially, I'm more than okay with heading back into the city for late nights with friends. But thats why its important that I can walk from the train/PATH at 2 am safely since I'd be alone.
Newark's Ironbound neighborhood is less expensive, self-sufficient, and some might consider it vibrant. It's only marginally less-safe than JC and Hoboken, and within walking distance to the PATH and NJ Transit at Newark Penn Station so great transportation options.

It's quite crowded, not very attractive architecturally, not a lot of new housing stock, and rather dirty with little park space. But there are some great Portuguese, Brasilian, and other Latino restaurants/bakeries/etc around.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM

31 posts, read 60,226 times
hah! thanks lusitan! I was looking and i saw some affordable places in Newark. That makes me more hopeful for staying within my means. I don't mind crowded or ugly as much as i mind ridiculously expensive and amenities that I won't have time to use. lol

And thats for the links on JC majesty!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM

majesty - how do you like rahway?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM

229 posts, read 576,475 times
Don't forget Long Island City in Queens. 20 minutes to mid town.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM

138 posts, read 385,713 times
Paperaffection, I like Rahway, but the commute is longer than you would like - unless you work right near Penn Station. I commuted downtown from Rahway, so I did the train to the Path, and it took me about an hour and 20 minutes. However, the train directly to Penn Station is only around 40 minutes, so like I said, if you work right near there you'd be okay.

Rahway has an up-and-coming downtown with some cute bars & restaurants. You would need a car here, though.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM

27 posts, read 129,572 times
I recently moved from a really nice safe neighborhood in southern california to Union City literally a block form the weehawken border and a a few blocks from blvd east. I love it. i dont feel in my immediate area that its dangerous at night. I work in soho and got to work the other day in 25 minutes. I find the area diverse and up and coming. heading into UC toward the main streets of bergenline and kennedy i feel the community is a little more blue collar than where i live so alot of the negative comments about UC (although i do not agree with them) are in response to that area which is more crowded. Where i live its mostly middle class people who commute into the city daily. I feel very comfortable in this area and have been finding more things to do here every day. It by no means is as "polished" as some may prefer but meets all of your criteria!

ETA:

I pay $1000 for what i have been told by several natives is a fairly large 1brm so im sure you can find what you're looking for.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,383,325 times
I say Bayonne or Montclair.
good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM

thanks Majesty for being straightforward. Right now I'm commuting from New Brunswick, and it took me 2 hours this morning door to door! 45 minutes seems like a breeze in comparison. I work in Times Square, so its a 10 minute walk up 7th Ave from Penn. Maybe it'll work.

popschild - thanks for all the detail about union city! would you mind telling me what streets are nicer and close to the train? And if you need a car? I think union city might be closer to the top of my list.

BPerone201 - what's nice about bayonne or montclair? I've driven through montclair but otherwise don't know much about the areas.

Thank you all!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM

136 posts, read 418,980 times
Paperaffection,

May I ask how it took 2 hours from New Brunswick door to door? I don't recall any major delays this morning on the trains

NB to NYP on the train is an hour or thereabouts (less if you take certain express trains). Add in another 10-15 minutes to leave the staion and walk and you're still only up to an hour 15. If you live in New Brunswick you can't be more than 15 minutes to the corner of Albany and Easton where the train is. Where did the other half hour come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey