Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 47,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Not to state the obvious, but I would just look at what you can get for the money in terms of housing and use that as a starting point for your decision. I live in Central Jersey and $500K can get you a pretty nice place in Robbinsville, East Windsor, Hamilton, Plainsboro, maybe Pennington/Hopewell...but definitely not in Princeton or West Windsor, both of which have excellent schools. Odds are very good that you will not live in Princeton, so start to get to know the neighboring towns a bit. I live in Robbinsville and my wife and I like it a lot. It definitely has the rural feel you mentioned. I am not terribly familar with Northern New Jersey. While some have pointed out that parts of Bergen County are quite congested and not very pleasant, it is also true that there are some really really nice areas up near the border with NY state. But it's pricey, from what I understand.

I'd go with Central Jersey based on your budget and your description of what you are looking for.

- Very helpful. I checked and found out that West Windsor High school is very good. Kids in Plainsboro go to W Windsor. Hopewell High school is almost as good as W Windsor. Don't know which high school kids in Robbinsville go.

I agree Allendale IS a very desirable place to live if money isn't an issue. But with 500K budget, I think that's not for me. I can't downsize my living space from current 2400sqft to 1400sqft or maybe even smaller. Now Princeton makes sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 PM

I like the fact that Princeton area is centrally located between NYC and Philly.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
A lot of people work in Princeton and find beautiful homes right over the border in PA - less expensive, MUCH less taxes in PA, MUCH lower auto insurance - much better way to live.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
A lot of people work in Princeton and find beautiful homes right over the border in PA - less expensive, MUCH less taxes in PA, MUCH lower auto insurance - much better way to live.
-Excellent. Another plus for Princeton. How are High schools there. Any flood hazard? If schools are good, will consider.

About going to college, who pays lower in-state tuition? PA resident going to a PA college or NJ resident going to a NJ college? Does PA have better and more selections of public university or it is NJ?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutgator View Post
- Very helpful. I checked and found out that West Windsor High school is very good. Kids in Plainsboro go to W Windsor. Hopewell High school is almost as good as W Windsor. Don't know which high school kids in Robbinsville go.

I agree Allendale IS a very desirable place to live if money isn't an issue. But with 500K budget, I think that's not for me. I can't downsize my living space from current 2400sqft to 1400sqft or maybe even smaller. Now Princeton makes sense...
I have LOVED this thread....very fun reading!
But seriously...Mercer Co. NJ is CENTRAL JERSEY! Princeton AND Trenton are in Mercer Co. The Crotch of NJ! File:Map of New Jersey highlighting Mercer County.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't get much more central than that! The preverbial "heart" of the State.

To the OP, if you have chosen the Princeton Position (Principal, looks, sounds and feels better than Senior Engineer, despite the 10K), you will not be disappointed.
Princeton might be a huge challenge with your 500K budget, WW/P might be a little better option given the current housing market. But you have a number of options with solid schools.
Montgomery (just north of Princeton) has outstanding schools.
Robbinsville, I really like Robbinsville, it has grown hugely over the past several years, have good elementary schools and just built their own High School (they used to send their highschoolers to Lawrence). Their first graduating class is this month so the jury is out on their performance.
Hopewell/Pennington (great schools) and absolutely beautiful but you will be travelling to "the crotch" for real shopping.
Then there is the PA option, Newtown, Yardley etc. a 30 minute comute to Princeton. Don't know much about their schools but have heard that Counsil Rock Schools are pretty good.

WOW! Congrats on a your great job offers! Wherever you end up, you will love New Jersey......buy a winter coat!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
OP, do not listen to this line, because we know Princeton is NOT near Trenton . On this board, every post is an "us -vs- them" mentality. Listen to people who have real life experiences in both places.

Good luck to you.
I lived in Trenton and Newark so I know, Princeton is 10 miles from Trenton but North Jersey has so much more population that crime is uncomparable. Based on what I've seen suburban kids from North jersey carry the 'duh' expression compared to Central jersey.

Last edited by dhanu86; 06-05-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I can't agree either. Are Princeton sourrounding areas commutable to a job in NYC? If yes, then I lean more toward the Princeton one?
I wouldn't say so but there are a few people from this area and further south who do the commute which can be an hour if not during rush hour. Driving the tunnel and manhattan traffic will slow you down. Train u either have to transfer or take another train in NYC so neither really.

Last edited by dhanu86; 06-05-2009 at 12:16 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Ha, no brainer huh, now u get to focus on one geographical region. Princeton is just one small city with a name everyone knows (Princeton University?). Take a trip and decide what kind of neighborhood u want first.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Ha, no brainer huh, now u get to focus on one geographical region. Princeton is just one small city with a name everyone knows (Princeton University?). Take a trip and decide what kind of neighborhood u want first.
Don't have enough time to do that.... Finally figured out OP stands for Originally Posted, not Old Pal or something else haha

Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Don't have enough time to do that.... Finally figured out OP stands for Originally Posted, not Old Pal or something else haha
You are going to love Princeton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey