U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,670,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutgator View Post
Sales Tax: FL 6%; NJ 7%
This data is incorrect, Florida sales tax ranges from 6%-7.5% depending on county. Also in Florida you pay sales tax on clothing, in New Jersey you do not.

Florida Sales Tax Rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM

220 posts, read 397,946 times
Hi Scoutgator....it sounds like you are making a good choice (really not a bad one to be had actually).

I grew up in Ramsey (the town directly next to Allendale) & can vouch for that area's safety, beauty and excellent schools as many posters have mentioned. The reason for the prices etc. are directly related to its proximity to NYC. Most folks who live there either commute to the city or want to be that close for its resources (culture etc.). The people who say the kids have the "duh" factor or are dumb are speaking from some other place, because it simply isn't true. The area has only gotten better since I left (in the late 90's) I am there often due to my ties there. I could not imagine a better place to raise a family than in this area of the state.

It sounds like you've made up your mind though but if you at all waffle about it...look at the town of Mahwah in Bergen (2 towns over from Allendale)...it may have what you want. Open space, rural, great schools & absolutely beautiful (was there yesterday....just awesome)!!

That being said....I live in WESTERN Morris Cnty now and have had the pleasure of experiencing the town of Princeton quite a bit (about 35 mins w/out traffic) & it is a lovely, lovely area which boasts excellent schools & culture etc. More space, slower pace which it sounds as if you tend to like more. Another FANTASTIC area...you really can't go wrong.

You are in the fortunate position of choosing what you "like"....you have a good thing going! Enjoy your next move in life & congratulations.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:46 PM

4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
As a Bergen County resident, I will give the edge to Bergen County over Princeton area. To be honest, I like the Monmouth county/Middlesex county area (where the two meet and towards the shore) and would rather live there than Bergen County, but that's not one of the options you have for work. Princeton is more Philly-oriented and is closer to Philly; Bergen County will be a definite NYC suburb.

Bergen is nicer if you can afford it, and it sounds like you can. That extra 10K should compensate for the extra costs, or at least help to offset it. It's great here; it's further from the shore, but not by too much - I can be in the northern shore points within 2 hours. But NYC is so convenient, while at the same time you don't even remember you're just outside of it (unless you're right on the Hudson, like Fort Lee). When I want to go into the city, it's a quick 45 minute or so trip, depending on traffic, and I'm all the way up north. When I commuted to the city for work it was an easy train ride or bus ride, but that won't be a concern for you. Still, the mass transit will be great for you to get in and out of the city when you want, if you choose not to drive.I grew up in Bergen and it is really great here; the expense is the biggest problem, and nowadays it's a bit crowded. I'm sure you can expect less house for the money up here, but still you'll be able to find something with privacy and in a beautiful neighborhood. We're close enough to Newark Airport and to major highways (Parkway, Turnpike/I95, I80, Pal Parkway, 17, 4) so getting around is pretty easy but it does get trafficky during rush hours.It's not perfectly flat here, but mostly flat with rolling hills and lots of trees. It's like living in a forest, but a forest where downtowns of towns were cleared out and developed.The schools here are the best, and with your kid in 7th grade that's what I think is the ultimate deciding factor. We are within 1/2 hour of the GW bridge and within 1/2 hour of wilderness, in either direction, so you have just about everything you want. We are within 2 hours of beach and 2 hours the other direction of mountains and skiing.Right now is a great time to buy here, too. The prices have finally dipped down quite a bit. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times
Have you made a decision yet? I live in PA but my husband works in NJ, because of the lower taxes and getting more house for the money. We also have an excellent school system in Solebury township.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM

16 posts, read 30,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsart View Post
Have you made a decision yet? I live in PA but my husband works in NJ, because of the lower taxes and getting more house for the money. We also have an excellent school system in Solebury township.
I've decided to take the job in the Princeton/Plainsboro area. Now it's time to pick a town to live in.

Here is what I found after researching the area on the Internet:
1. Princeton: Best High school in the area. House price is too high and lot is too small. Too densely populated. Will not consider;
2. Plainsboro/West Windsor: 3rd Best High schools in the area. House price is high and lot is small. Densely populated. Very convenient transportation facilities. Probably will not consider;
3. Montgomery/Skillman area: 2nd Best High school in the area. House price is high but most has very large lot. Not densely populated ay all. Will consider.
4. Hopewell: Similar to #3, but not as much.

BTW, I didn't see houses on the PA side of the border are noticeably lower priced. About tax differences, I'd like to see some real life numbers. I do like the fact that living in PA, kids will have more and better choices on in-state public universities. Will consider.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:53 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,670,624 times
Quote:
I've decided to take the job in the Princeton/Plainsboro area. Now it's time to pick a town to live in.

1. Princeton: Best High school in the area. House price is too high and lot is too small. Too densely populated. Will not consider;
2. Plainsboro/West Windsor: 3rd Best High schools in the area. House price is high and lot is small. Densely populated. Very convenient transportation facilities. Probably will not consider;
3. Montgomery/Skillman area: 2nd Best High school in the area. House price is high but most has very large lot. Not densely populated ay all. Will consider.

BTW, I didn't see houses on the PA side of the border are noticeably lower priced. About tax differences, I'd like to see some real life numbers. I do like the fact that living in PA, kids will have more and better choices on in-state public universities. Will consider.
Also take a look at Columbus, NJ. My brother lives there and you may be able to find better deals as far as real estate. The schools are also excellent.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM

739 posts, read 867,952 times
Quote:

I believe you have it narrowed down to the best towns this area has to offer, you did leave one off the list I would consider, however, and that is Cranbury. Take Plainsboro Rd or Cranbury Neck Rd (RT 615 East) out of Plainsboro and you're immediately in open farm country. Within 2 miles you hit the very clean and quiant town of Cranbury. Feels quiet and small town but you are close to everything you would need. They use Princeton HS by the way. One more thing, Plainsboro does have homes with the big lot sizes you are looking for on the east side (in the open farm country I was telling you about). Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any of the towns you mentioned.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 30,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I believe you have it narrowed down to the best towns this area has to offer, you did leave one off the list I would consider, however, and that is Cranbury. Take Plainsboro Rd or Cranbury Neck Rd (RT 615 East) out of Plainsboro and you're immediately in open farm country. Within 2 miles you hit the very clean and quiant town of Cranbury. Feels quiet and small town but you are close to everything you would need. They use Princeton HS by the way. One more thing, Plainsboro does have homes with the big lot sizes you are looking for on the east side (in the open farm country I was telling you about). Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any of the towns you mentioned.
Yeh, Cranbury is also close to I-95. I heard Cranbury pays Princeton in order to send their kids to Princeton HS. Is this some sort of temporary solution or have they been doing this for years? I'm thinking when it's time
for my kids to go to HS, they may not do this anymore.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 AM

11,698 posts, read 21,498,179 times
Quote:
I meant Montgomery High School in Skillman
excellent high school, very competitive.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 AM

11,698 posts, read 21,498,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Also take a look at Columbus, NJ. My brother lives there and you may be able to find better deals as far as real estate. The schools are also excellent.
it may very good -vs- excellent, but i don't think northern burlington regional is in the same league as the previously mentioned HS'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey