Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 AM

901 posts, read 2,247,620 times

Advertisements

The borough is like the center "donut hole" (if you will) within the township. More often than not it contains the "Main St" downtown area, and municipal bulidings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
well check out the towns westwood, ramsey, waldwick, hillsdale, park ridge , montvale all nice towns with good school and in your budget. Here is what Bergen COunty is like I see, Allendale area has alot of small towns, with a walkable downtown in most of these towns, great schools, however traffic, higher tax, not alot of open space and rush rush rush. Convience and some of the best shopping and things are in bergen county. You have alot of choices! I see Princeton more open space, laid back more, less rush rush rush but not alot of that small town life. Schools are probably great so both areas have great schools. If your the type who can get overstimulated too quickly and would like a little more quiet I would go with Princeton, if your the type who loves action, shopping and that town communty feel I would go with Bergen COunty.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,383 times
I live in westwood and it's a nice little place with a homey time feel and in your budget, as to i would aslo check out oakland.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
I've lived in Bergen County NJ since 1974. Grew up in ELmwood Park, lived in Lodi for 6 years and moved to Norwood 15 years ago.Quite a few years ago I was a truck driver that had a route along the RT 287/Rt202 corridor through Flemington, Princeton area.

I've always loved the spaciousness of the Princton area and it does have some beautiful towns around it. You will always find that "College" town feel in the area especially from an Ivy League school like Princeton College, but I will chime in with the Pros of the Northern Bergen County area.

I will give you the real details as just about to buy a new home in Ridgewood. I've been actively looking at homes in the area for 2 months and deals are to be had. Most homes in the $450,000 to $500,000 range on a 150 x 150 lot are paying taxes anywhere between $7,000 - $10,000 Moderator cut: no advertisting

The best town to live in from a tax purpose is Mahwah, Mahwah has the lowest tax rate in Northern Bergen County, due to the many Industrial Parks that are on the outskirts of town.

As far as schools go, most of the towns in the area of Allendale have Regional High Schools that they share with 2 or more towns. Allendale is part of the Northern Highlands Regional High School which shares its High School with Upper Saddle River, Ho-Ho-Kus, and Saddle River towns. Most of the Schools in the "Hills" region are very good, as well as the "Valley" region which are the towns that are east of Allendale like, Hillsdale, Old Tappan, Harrington Park, Northvale, Norwood, Woodcliff Lake, Parkridge, Norwood, Haworth, Demarest,.......
In the 2008 ranking of New Jersey High Schools in the top 10, 4 were Bergen County High Schools. with only one from Mercer which was Princeton ranked #6. Northern Highlands was ranked #8 and the Northern Valley(Demarest) Ranked 9th
A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by rank-www.njmonthly.com

Everyone of these towns in the "Valley" region are a 10-15 minute drive from Allendale.
Allendale is about 45 minutes from Midtown NYC without any major traffic delays by car, You could hop on the NJ Transit Train that runs through Allendale and be at Penn Station in Mid town NYC in 65 minutes for about
$6-7.00 round trip.

You are minutes away from every store you can imagine in the town of Paramus which has 5 main malls and countless retailors along Rt17 and Rt 4.

Now the following is my opinion but I strongly feel, if you choose Bergen County, stay North of Rt 4. Once you go south of Rt4 it tends to be a more urban than suburban vibe.

It all depends on what you are looking for besides living in a home, If you are looking for a quality home, with a quality school system and want to be near all the action that NYC provides, then Allendale and the area would be the choice.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on!

Last edited by tahiti; 06-16-2009 at 05:22 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM

136 posts, read 722,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrsdad View Post
You could hop on the NJ Transit Train that runs through Allendale and be at Penn Station in Mid town NYC in 65 minutes for about
$6-7.00 round trip.

If you meant $8.75 each way or $15 off peak round trip, then you'd be correct. It hasn't been $7 round trip in decades, if ever.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 47,743 times
[SIZE=2]Anyone familiar with with the town called Skillman (about 5 miles NW of Princeton) ? I found out that their High school is very good and not far from my work.[/SIZE]

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutgator View Post
[SIZE=2]Anyone familiar with with the town called Skillman (about 5 miles NW of Princeton) ? I found out that their High school is very good and not far from my work.[/SIZE]

I meant Montgomery High School in Skillman

Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
That would be a good place to start looking. Almost anywhere around there is good.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM

On this forum, I've seen so many people talking about high cost of living in New Jersey. I'd like to see the real numbers of it so that I can better prepared.

Federal tax, Social Security & Medicare: same for all states,
Income Tax: Florida: 0%; NJ ~6.5%; OK with it.

Property Tax:
In my city in FL, a $500K house is taxed ~$8,000;
In a central NJ town, have seen a $500K house taxed ~$11,000; Again, OK with it.

Home Owner Insurance: FL: ~$3000/year on a $300K house with a 2% Hurricane Deductible (you can't claim if the damage is less 2% of insurance value). How much in NJ?

Flood Insurance: $450/year. How much in NJ?

As a home owner in FL, I don't have to anything else. Whatesle do you have to pay in NJ???

Sales Tax: FL 6%; NJ 7%; OK with it
Car Insurance: FL: 2 cars (Honda) 6 month full insurance: ~$800; what's the number in NJ?
Gas: don't care much.

Food: don't care much.

The followings are what I know so

Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 AM

44 posts, read 178,571 times
Here is something to help you with your school information.

Top New Jersey High Schools 2008 -- njmonthly.com - The Best of Jersey

Last edited by AnnaIb; 06-14-2009 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: link linkable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey