U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 29,771 times
Default Moving to NJ: Central NJ vs Northen NJ???

Hello, everyone who knows NJ well: I recently got 2 similar software job offers in NJ. One in the Princeton area, the other in Allendale. Will be relocating from South Florida. The Allendale one pays 10K more. I'm having hard time making the choice. I'm married and have a 7th grader kid. Definitely want a place that is good for raising kids and has good schools. I know both area have good schools. What are some other pros and cons? Tax, job opportunities, communting, neighborhoods, safety concerns, cost of living differences, etc. Any input would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 20,825,680 times
hmmm....what's your budget? That may be the biggest determining factor.

I can say you can find outstanding communities in and around both places with (as you know) excellent schools. Both areas will have high property taxes - you probably can escape with lower prop. taxes around the Princeton area, but the salary bump in Allendale may make up for it. You probably can get more house for the money in the Princeton area as well, but maybe not, depending on the town you choose.

If being close to NYC is a priority for culture or other reasons, the Allendale job would be the one to choose. Otherwise, it's probably a matter of preference. Taking NYC out of the equation, Princeton is probably more centrally located from a NJ perspective.

Tough choice, but a good tough choice, especially in this economy. Good for you!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 12,281 times
Move to Bergen County, NJ in North NJ.

It has the best school system, among the best in the nation, very close to NYC, lots of things to do etc.
I highly recommend you

Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,358,957 times
Nice problem to have, I say.
I think it might come down to surroundings.
Allendale would be more towards the hilly part of the state and in 15 minutes you could also be up in the hilly part on NY state.

Princeton, and I have to say they spread the Princeton name to towns all up and down US-1 that are not really Princeton mostly for business prestige, Princeton is more of a rolling hills on flatter surroundings, but in 15 minutes you could be in suburban to almost rural parts of Pennsylvania.

Princeton is a bit closer to shore resorts but that doesn't stop most people if you only visit the shore a few times a year. Allendale is a bit closer to NYC, Princeton a bit closer to Philly.

I would consider those equal and evaluate the gigs themselves and the salary, benefits, potential, etc.
You also need to figure which surroundings you feel more at home at.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 PM

824 posts, read 1,500,807 times
I"m jealous I want to move back home to NJ. I just had to offer my 2 cents. Between the two jobs one might be higher in salary but what health benefits are you getting. Are they equal? Do you contribute? Has one company been in business longer then the other? Research both companies side by side and compare their track record as far as lay off's etc. This may help you figure out which town is better once you determine which job you want.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 AM

19,891 posts, read 9,086,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_91 View Post
Move to Bergen County, NJ in North NJ.

It has the best school system, among the best in the nation, very close to NYC, lots of things to do etc.
I highly recommend you

I agree.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM

16 posts, read 29,771 times
Thank you for posting your opinions! No matter what, we'll soon be New Jerseyans, like most of you.

Right, my budget for house is +- 500K. I briefly searched for Allendale houses on realtor.com. Really not many in this range. Maybe surrounding towns have some.

About the job, both are money-making Fortune 100 companies. The Princeton one pays better on bonus. Other benefits are almost equal. Also there is a difference on position levels. The Princeton one is a Principal Engr, the group has much fewer people, while the other one is just a Sr. Engr. For future career development, the former might be better.

We tend to like quiet, rural feeling living environment. Sure need convenient reach to cultural activities, fun things to do etc in a big city, but won't be weekly, at most monthly (we live in 25minutes from Ft.Lauderdale beach, but only go there once a year or less) At the moment, close to NYC is not my primary interest, maybe future who knows. I guess both areas have good job oppertunities in case of more job changes down the load.

One plus with the Princeton one is that I can choose to live in PA for lower (maybe, not sure) cost of living and housing. PA in that area (North Philly close to NJ border) has good schools too.

I did find towns in Allendale area have much lower crime rate than central NJ. NJ central is not bad either.

Still not sure....

Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,742,613 times
The Princeton area is far better than northern NJ, in my opinion. In addition, people are moving out of Bergen County, not a recipe for a good housing investment. From Princeton, you can get to Philly and NYC plus there is a fair amount to do in Princeton, not to mention the character of the town that cannot be found in northern NJ. Look in Hopewell, Lawrenceville, Montgomery/Princeton Twp or Pennington where housing is more reasonable than Princeton borough.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 06-04-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,001,850 times
Take the Princeton job. Central jersey is a lot nicer suburban wise, you get a little more for your money and it's fresh with not so much vanity and traffic. You don't want to raise your kid in north jersey, kids there are dumb and spoiled and anywhere in north jersey is near crime. Most software jobs are around Princeton as well. Don't buy a house just for an 'investment'. Newer developments, can't go wrong with any of the schools, centrally located.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 20,825,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Take the Princeton job. Central jersey is a lot nicer suburban wise, you get a little more for your money and it's fresh with not so much vanity and traffic. You don't want to raise your kid in north jersey, kids there are dumb and spoiled and anywhere in north jersey is near crime. Most software jobs are around Princeton as well. Don't buy a house just for an 'investment'. Newer developments, can't go wrong with any of the schools, centrally located.
OP, do not listen to this line, because we know Princeton is NOT near Trenton . On this board, every post is an "us -vs- them" mentality. Listen to people who have real life experiences in both places.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey