U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 104,584 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My regular first 26 weeks of NJ UI has just be exhausted and the web site said a claim would be made for me and I would be notified by mail.

Will there be a gap between my regular unemployment and the next level? Does anyone know what I am supposed to be doing (if anything), or when/if I am supposed to make my next claim?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM

73 posts, read 222,260 times
go to the nj department of labor website. It outlines all of the possible extensions available ( if you qualify for them that is ).

Don't try to file for a new claim. It will mess things up for you. that is not what you are suppose to do unless you have worked since filing the origional claim and it was enough time to qualify for a totally new claim. if you havent worked at all during your 26 week period...read on:

what is available out there are unemployment extensions. ( continuation of the current claim you just finished).

if you qualified for an extension, you should have received paperwork in the mail about it outlining the process. Sometimes things do get lost in the mail so don't panic just quite yet.

If you just finished your 26 weeks, wait a few more weekdays. if you dont see anything come in the mail, then you will need to either call unemployment up or.. stop by a unemployment center local to you and ask them if you qualify. if you do, then you will go on tier 1 extension for 20 weeks. Those will be your only 2 choices. This website provides some advice but ultimately, you are gonna need to get in touch with unemployment about your particular claim. Each person has unique situations sometimes. If you don't get anything in the mail within a few days, check with unemployment. they will be able to tell you right away if you are entitled to the extensions.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM

17,606 posts, read 14,176,711 times
time to start turning tricks.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM

@Captain - Funny... but not ultimately helpful... but tax free!

@Mike - Great advice, thank you. If you have seen my other post about moving out of NJ during UI, do you have any info or advice there?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM

73 posts, read 222,260 times
the "moving out of state" thing seems to be a little tricky for some folks. i have read numerous posts all with mixed results/outcomes. I don't know much about that topic unfortunately but perhaps other readers will know more and add their input. I did read 1 thing several times. Someting about when you change residency to another state, they will only give you 2 weeks of coverage. almost like a "settling-in" period but again, im not totally sure.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM

17,606 posts, read 14,176,711 times
my wife was collecting unemployment from her job in nyc. we moved to new jersey and the unemployment collection transition was seamless.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,001,475 times
The three levels of extensions -- that may or may not kick in after your initial 26 weeks of benefits -- are explained on the NJ Labor and Workforce Development site:
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Insurance Extension Programs (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)

Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM

837 posts, read 468,793 times
Why not move to kentucky where the rent is 100 a month then?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM

That you guys for your help...

My lease is up July 31 and I'll probably move in with the folks in MD. I had moved from NYC to Hoboken last July and was laid off in October which caused some lag and delay with NJ UI. From what I hear, after you are in the system it runs more smoothly... so hopefully that will be the case.

As for now... I guess I need to wait and see if I get something in the mail from them in the next week of so after the Tier I kicking in? If that comes without and trouble then I will have some hope for the move home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey