U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,981 times
Default Easiest Vaction route into NYC from Central PA

I am heading to NYC next week on a family vacation for 5 days. I am traveling from Cental PA (State College). I'm thinking of driving to Metropark and taking the train the rest of the way to Manhatten. Can anyone tell me if this is the smartest way into the city? I've read online that leaving my car at Newark Penn Station for 5 days might not be the easiest thing to do, so I thought if I went further out to Metropark it would make things easier in terms of parking, traffic, etc...Any comments or suggestions will be most apperciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-07-2009, 05:26 PM

678 posts, read 1,711,115 times
It's probably easiest to take I-80 the whole way from State College. Maybe you could park at the Secaucus Junction station? or perhaps there are other bus/rail options along the way on I-80.

Unread 06-07-2009, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 231,692 times
Newark is certainly closer to NYC than Metropark. If you don't want to just drive right into the city, I'd say Newark would be your best bet. Personally, I would just drive right in. If you're going to drive all the way to newark, why not just drive another 20 minutes and get into the city.

Unread 06-08-2009, 02:23 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,406,756 times
Well having a car in NYC is usually a headache once you're in town because you would probably pay $40 to 50 or more a day for parking.

Someone asked me this a while ago and I found the cheapest parking at Harrison I think where you could park the daily rate or a weekly rate at one of the 24 hour lots and its right next to Newark and the Harrison PATH train station is right there which goes to NYC also.

Another option might be the Weehawken ferry but I think the parking might be $10 or more, you'd have to check on nywaterways.com or nywaterway or similar. They do have free buses once you get across the river too.

Secaucus junction doe have a parking lot now but it just opened last week I think Edison parkfast runs it.

Anyway I think Harrison is a good bet, its right off I-280 across the Passaic River from Newark and there are about a dozen lots around the PATH station. I think the train fare from there on the PATH is $1.75. The PATH goes as far North as 33rd ST in NYC. After that you're o your own, city subway, buses. walking, etc.

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,981 times
thanks for all the input. I don't want drive into the city for several reasons. I've never driven in NYC, and does not look like something I want to do. I'm afraid I'll end up in the Bronx or hopelessly lost in some other part of the city. If I did drive, I will just park my car and leave it in a garage somewhere, so it really not necessary to have it.

We have rented a self-catering apartment a few blocks from Time Square, which does not include ant parking. The owner told me there is a garage around the corner, but it does not seem worth the hassle.

Anyway, thank again for the input. I'm leaning toward Newark/Harrison and the northern end of the line rather than the southern end.

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:34 AM

7,577 posts, read 13,709,345 times
22/78 East would be my recommendation.

Unread 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,406,756 times
Well, here are 2 weblinks for info about the PATH station in Harrison. These seem to be a bit like 2 years old and they have been building a Red Bulls stadium next to the station there, PATH suggests using other stations for parking, but having not used the place myself much in the past years I would ask someone who goes there each day, etc. what the parking is like.
I think these links, like another related news story are from 2007.
Back then they suggested using Newark Penn or Journal Square, where there is a parking garage attached.

http://www.panynj.gov/COMMUTINGTRAVEL/path/html/harrison.html (broken link)

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/pdfs/NEW_ParkingGuide.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey