U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,235,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hey, next time you accuse someone of taking a thread off topic, look towards yourself, understood?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8913155-post4.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ml#post9124409

i could find many more. so stop playing thread police.

Both of those posts were relevant to the OP asking about considering moving to New Jersey........yes.......they pointed out negative points about this state but I wasn't aware that City Data Forum was censored and we were only allowed to post positive facts. Is this all you have to do all day long .....finding my negative posts about New Jersey and whining about them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What people like FlyersFan seem to never talk about is all the people and young professionals moving in to New Jersey daily for better opportunities.
Those chosing to stay in New Jersey had better hope for new arrivals to help bear the weight of this states tax burden........

Old 06-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
But to harp so much on why you hate NJ and yet still live here, I just don't get it.
As I have stated before, like many who wish they could just pick up and leave, I can't due to operating my own business which I am currently negotiating to sell......there are many others to be sure that are tied to New Jersey short term and long term for various reasons thats makes it impossible for them to leave on short notice but that doesn't mean they enjoy living in a corrupt state with the highest property taxes in the nation.....add to that number those that are having financial troubles that want to leave but are fearful of having to start a new life somewhere else
and the unknown. I have noted posts on here from those stating that they feel financially sound but I would tell you that those are in the minority in this state and country....many are living from paycheck to paycheck and are one illness away from losing everything......many have lived here all their lives and can't afford to retire here even if they wanted to.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:02 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,942,012 times
Quote:
What people like FlyersFan seem to never talk about is all the people and young professionals moving in to New Jersey daily for better opportunities.
If you look at the report I posted earlier in the thread, and actually read it, you'll find that your statement isn't as true as you make it sound. NJ is experiencing a net outflow of people, which is getting larger every year (it nearly tripled from 2002-2006). Of those moving into NJ, the majority are actually coming from overseas- not young people from other states looking for better opportunities.

There's also data in that report showing that those moving into NJ from certain states have much lower per capita incomes than those leaving NJ for those same states. While that doesn't support the "rich people are leaving in droves" statement, it does show that higher paid folks are leaving, and lower paid folks are moving in- not generally a good trend, especially in a high COL state. The state lost a total of almost $2 billion of adjusted gross income, which means that the state as a whole is losing the "better opportunities" you're talking about.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We're not getting choked, paying off the mortgage at an accelerated rate, take 3+ vacations a year, saving for college and retirement. Yup, we're really strapped.
You are in a very small minority in this state (or anywhere) who can say that......you should be thankful for your good fortune instead of gloating about it on CityData.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,303,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Those chosing to stay in New Jersey had better hope for new arrivals to help bear the weight of this states tax burden........
We will be fine, but thanks for your concern.

You should worry about what is happening in your future state of Florida, best of luck to you on the move:

Budget crisis getting worse, Florida lawmakers are told - Florida - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/569/story/839178.html - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,265,526 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Yeah, the property taxes and cost of living are expensive

However, NJ should be expensive because of access to Philly, NYC, Atlantic City and the whole state is covered with beaches. Access to entertiainment is not free.

The salaries produced in the above link offset the cost of living

Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
We will be fine, but thanks for your concern.

You should worry about what is happening in your future state of Florida, best of luck to you on the move:

I will be just fine thank you.......enjoy your short summers here buying beach tags for the right to sit on the hospital waste strewn beaches......I will have 1200 miles of FREE beach to chose from ALL year long......perhaps a red tide or two but at least I won't be picking used hypodermics out of my feet and wondering why I was foolish enough to pay to do it !!!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,265,526 times
Quote:
I will be just fine thank you.......enjoy your short summers here buying beach tags for the right to sit on the hospital waste strewn beaches......I will have 1200 miles of FREE beach to chose from ALL year long......perhaps a red tide or two but at least I won't be picking used hypodermics out of my feet and wondering why I was foolish enough to pay to do it !!!
Look man. You like Florida. Dailyjournalist does not

Big deal you save 10 dollars on a beach ticket.

By moving to Florida you are going to be surrounded by rednecks, people that think trailers are high class, lack of culture, humidity nonstop (living in a oven), horrible nightlife, lack of shopping, etc

I hate anything that is in Florida except for Miami. If you like Florida then move there. But, you need to realize that not everyone has a obsession with it like you do

Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,303,536 times
Quote:
I think you should do a little more research. Florida beachs are not free from contamination, you may have to swim with human, animal, agricultural and industrial waste, as well as leaked motor oil and gasoline.
Beach Contamination: Swimmers Beware - Gainesville Community Blogs (http://newsies.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2192728 - broken link)

Last edited by DailyJournalist; 06-09-2009 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey