U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,766 times
Default South Orange Dwellers Please Come In!

Please give me your thoughts on the area right near Marshall Elementary School in the Montrose area by Seton Hall. My husband and I fell in love with a home but the manageable price alerted us to something being up with the area. Despite all the crazy mansions around the corner we have been told it is a "less desireable" section. Please share your thoughts. They would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We are open minded, white middle class people who currenlty live in Manhattan. We'd like to start a family soon and are looking for a diverse, safe and culturally aware place to do that. We want to feel comfortable walking our dog at night and letting future children roam. We have researched the school districts and are already comfortable with them, and we are aware crime can happen anywhere. We also want the option of being able to sell if the future calls for it.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM

7,056 posts, read 8,979,409 times
I lived in Maplewood (sister town of SO)for ten years and loved it. It is a fantastic area, and great resale value.

Go to:

Maplwoodonline.com and ask your questions. It is a local website that you can get better answers.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,898,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilo View Post
P.S. We are open minded, white middle class people who currenlty live in Manhattan. We'd like to start a family soon and are looking for a diverse, safe and culturally aware place to do that. We want to feel comfortable walking our dog at night and letting future children roam. We have researched the school districts and are already comfortable with them, and we are aware crime can happen anywhere. We also want the option of being able to sell if the future calls for it.
Well you pretty much fit the stereotypical South Orange / Maplewood resident profile. Sounds like you'll fit in well. The two biggest things to research in any town are schools (above average in Maplewood/South Orange) and crime (below average in Maplewood/South Orange) so it sounds like you've done your homework.

Quote:
My husband and I fell in love with a home but the manageable price alerted us to something being up with the area.
LOL - a sure sign that the housing bubble is still affecting people's mentality. I get what you're saying, but it's a sad state of affairs when a "manageable" price for houses sets off red flags. I think what you're noticing is just that prices are returning to normal levels, and it's a good thing.

Taxes are high in NJ and higher in Essex County and other places that are closer to NYC (e.g. Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn).

Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,138,299 times
The Montrose section is full of beautiful homes but you are extremely close to the borders of Newark and Orange.

First let me say that I loved South Orange. It is a beautiful town with older beautiful homes. The gas lamps are beautiful on a quiet snowy night. However, I don't care much about what crime statistics may show. Here is my personal experience over a 35 year period. Some may say it's good others not.

I grew up in So. Orange. I lived about 5 blocks from Seton Hall, close to Our Lady of Sorrows church. This area is closer to Irvington and Newark. Our house was only broken into twice and our neighbors only once - they came home while the thief was still in the house.

I saw two of my friends mugged 3 blocks from the HS by a group of thugs who apparently did not go to school at Columbia.

And I've only known 3 people who had their cars stolen in town.

That said, I would contact either the police dept or the local newspaper (News Record) to see if they have crime statistics broken down by neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks so much for all the info. so far. Keep it coming Please!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,696,217 times
Montrose is a beautiful neighborhood. It borders Newark and East Orange, I think, which turns some people off. Take a good look at the neighborhood and you'll see people who take a lot of pride in their homes, a thriving neighborhood. I went on a house tour there and the homes were gorgeous. My hubby's father was raised there. We lived in Maplewood. I would have loved to have lived in one of those homes while we lived in the area.

You'll fit right in, you'll meet plenty of people with whom you'll have a lot in common. Yes it's diverse, in the sense that there are black and white kids at school, but in many ways it's a very homogeoneous (spelling) community because in general your neighbors will share your viewpoints and experiences to an almost frightening degree!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Hrjersey I must say your accounts of break-ins and muggings are somewhat disturbing. Didn't having your house broken into make you feel unsettled in your own home? I'm wondering if anyone knows if the house break-ins are a bigger problem in this specific S.O. location or if they happen in other parts and/or Maplewood? Is there less of a risk of that in Mapelwood (obviously I know it can happen anywhere but 3 break-in accounts are unsettling.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey