Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]1.Bagels- Theres a place on Ridge road in North Arlington, next to the Jim Dandy's. GREAT sunflower seed flagels. (Flat bagels)
2.Mexican- Not a big mexican food fan, but Tingas in Montclair has killer Guac.
3.Pizza- Mr. Brunos in Lyndhurst, hands down. If you desire brick oven, Cafe Capri in East Rutherford is more than acceptable.
4.Steakhouse- agree with a previous poster that it can be hit and miss nowadays, but Steves in Carlstadt is still great when its on, and has been on more than off recently.
5.Ice Cream- Applegate Farms in Montclair, period.
6.Chinese-for malaysian, Penang in Lodi is my current fave, but just moved to Garfield and was greatly surprised with how good Chang Hing Kitchen is.
7.Seafood- If NYC is off the list, I have to say Legal Seafoods at GSP (I know, its a chain, but it is good seafood), or Iberia in Newark
8.Deli/Sub Shop- Cant believe neither mentioned yet. White House in Atlantic City, and American Hero Sub House in Lyndhurst
9.Bakery- Mazurs on ridge road in Lyndhurst is kick ass all around. The Pie Store for specifically "Sweet and Savory" Pies in Montclair has some of the best dessert pies I have ever had. And Mastoris bakery is good as others have said.
10.Burgers- White Manna in Hackensack, Five Guys in East Rutherford, White Manna in Jersey City

Misc.- fried chicken---Bon Chon in Fort Lee.
hot dogs - Rutts Hut in Clifton #1. #2, Johnny and Hanges, I dont know the town but you can find it easily via google.
diner--Tick Tock Diner on Rte. 3 in Clifton, Mastoris Diner at 130 & 206, and Tops Diner in East Rutherford could all make a claim as best in the state, and win the argument. The last time I was at Tops it seemed that it had gone downhill, but I will certainly give them benefit of the doubt that it was a one-off night, and return soon enough.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 PM

180 posts, read 604,265 times
PIZZA: Lodi Pizza in Lodi on 46
CHINESE: Wat Chung CHinese in Upper MOntclair
MEXICAN: Jose Tejas on route 1/9S

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM

96 posts, read 350,546 times
1.Bagels All the same to me.

2.Mexican I don't eat it.

3.Pizza Mack/Manco's in Ocean City

4.Steakhouse Ruth Chris. I've been to all in NJ including Steve's and Palm. Ruth Chris is on another level

5.Ice Cream All the same to me

6.Chinese Peking Pavillion in Manalapan. I used to love Chengdu 46 in Clifton, but haven't been there in at least 10 years.

7.Seafood Lobster House in Cape May

8.Deli/Sub Shop Jersey Mikes in Point and Manasquan

9.Bakery Mazur's in Lyndhurst used to be incredible. Over the last 5 years it has become average. I need to find a new favorite.

10.Burgers - White Manna in Hackensack

Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I've seen lots of threads on the "best" pizza, mexican, etc. so I thought it would be fun (and helpful) to have a thread dedicated to food.

Please give your faves and the town the restaurant is located in!

1.Bagels
2.Mexican
3.Pizza
4.Steakhouse
5.Ice Cream
6.Chinese
7.Seafood
8.Deli/Sub Shop
9.Bakery
10.Burgers
1) Bagels -- forget the name, but the one in the shopping center in Ridgewood, Wide World of Bagels or something like that. Next to/near Kings.

2) Mexican -- haven't had any great Mexican, but my favorite was Blue Moon in Englewood.

3) Pizza -- tough one. Thin crust, Kinchley's in Ramsey. Others, don't know. Great Scillian pizza at Tirreno's in Mahwah.

4) Steak -- The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs, and The River Palm (Edgewater first, then Mahwah).

5) Ice cream -- not an ice cream lover but when I was, Thomas Sweet's in New Brunswick.

6) Chinese -- the original Look See in Fort Lee. The one in Ramsey is very good.

7) Seafood -- tough one. Hard to find in NJ.

8) Deli/Sub -- I like Italian deli's, and Dante's in River Edge is great. Best sandwich around.

9) Bakery -- another tough one for me.

10) Burgers -- off the menu at JD's in Fort Lee, The Iron Horse, The Porter House, Davey's Locker, Bobby Flay's (Paramus), and The (old) Bicycle Club (haven't been to the new remodled one yet).

I am sure I am missing some of my favorites. Good list.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
3.Pizza- Godfather's in east hanover. Vinnie's in bloomfield
4.Steakhouse- Arthur's in either morris plains or hoboken
8.Deli/Sub Shop- Esposito's in east hanover

Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Could anyone recomend a place in the Verona area?
for dinner? Lombardi's if you like italian. excellent sauce, pizza is well above par.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM

i notice there are alot of Arthurs haters on this forum. given it isnt the best quality steak in the world, but for the portion size and the price, id say its up there. real blue collar feeling to the place too. and say what you want, im not pretending to be a real foodie, but their steak just tastes amazing.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM

180 posts, read 604,265 times
Millburn Deli is worth the wait. They are known for sloppy joes but they arent the ones you are thinking of. They are sandwiches grilled between 3 slices of rye bread and you pick the meat. They put russian dressing and coleslaw on it as well. Mac N cheese easily had 5 pounds of cheese in it.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,710 times
Default Best Bakery in Bergen County

The best bakery in Bergen County is a bakery that just opened in Oradell. They have the most beautifu and delicious pastry and cakes I have ever tasted. It is about time a bakery opened that has such a great selection of cakes and desserts. They also make those fondant specialty cakes that everyone likes for Sweet 16 and other parties. I just had one made a few weeks ago and it was the hit of the party. What a great find!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
1.Bagels-Zebu Bakery-Red Bank/Middletown/Freehold
2.Mexican-Juanitos-Red Bank
3.Pizza-Mack and Manco's-Ocean City
4.Steakhouse-What's Your Beef?-Rumson
5.Ice Cream-Crazees/Rumson
6.Chinese-Peking Pavillion-Manalapan
7.Seafood-Crab Trap/Somers Point
8.Deli/Sub Shop-Andy K's Sea Bright (great subs in this little grocery store!)
9.Bakery-B & W Bakery/Hackensack
10.Burgers-Barnacle Bill's-Rumson
Okay here is another Monmouth Co persepective

1.Bagels-Almost anywhere has decent NY style (except the chains I hate fluffy bagels. BOILING THEM IS NOT AN OPTION) but I like Corner Bagelry here in Squan
2.Mexican-Juanitos-Red Bank Actually agree with this one 100% unless you want fresh mex and then Surf Taco wins. The one in Point Pleasant is best.
3.Pizza-North Jersey wins this even over NYC but Lubrano's in Middletown does pizza North Jersey style.
4.Steakhouse-What's Your Beef?-Rumson Again 100% correct
5.Ice Cream-Sorry but there is only one winner for this anywhere in the state. The sometimes 2+ hour wait proves it. Hoffmans either in Spring Lake or Point Pleasant. Homemade Ice Cream.
6.Chinese-If I cant pick some place in NYC than Szechuan Tokyo is good mix.
7.Seafood-Wharfside in Point Pleasant. I would bet my grandmother on the superiority of their raw bar.
8.Deli/Sub Shop-While I too love Andy Ks, the Corner Market in Manasquan has these amazing $10 roast beef sandwiches. They are what a deli would be if Starbucks made real deli food.
9.Bakery-Homestyle in Manasquan gets their rolls and bread daily from Staten Island but that maybe cheating. Aside from that I know no bakery that is even close to the one whose name I forgot in Nutley
10.Burgers-Not a huge burger fan so I am going to go sandwich here and vote for two.
Since the grease trucks are too far away these days I am voting for Nellies in Long Branch for fat sandwiches, specifically the Fat Kat.
For philly cheese steaks without the drive, Main Street Cheesesteak in Belmar are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey