Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 38,716 times

Advertisements

We are in contract on a house and recently had our inspection. I just learned (be calling my insurance broker) that there was a claim made by the sellers under their homeowners policy for $30K for a fire at the property in 2006. We were aware that a major renovation was done in 2007 of the house but it seems like it coincided right after the fire occurred.

Our inspector did not find any evidence of any fire damage or structural issues (that he could see). We were told that there was some sagging of the beams in the basement that we should have checked out.

I just asked my broker for all the info regarding this fire but isn't this something that should have been disclosed? Should I be concerned? Would you proceed forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
I would be concerned and would ask the homeowners directly. If they admit there was a fire but did not disclose I would likely walk because of their dishonesty. $30K in damage is basically a fire destroying one large room in a house. Might not mean structural damage. But you should consider hiring a structural engineer to check out the beams before proceeding. It might cost you $500 or more but it could be well worth it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget71 View Post
We are in contract on a house and recently had our inspection. I just learned (be calling my insurance broker) that there was a claim made by the sellers under their homeowners policy for $30K for a fire at the property in 2006. We were aware that a major renovation was done in 2007 of the house but it seems like it coincided right after the fire occurred.

Our inspector did not find any evidence of any fire damage or structural issues (that he could see). We were told that there was some sagging of the beams in the basement that we should have checked out.

I just asked my broker for all the info regarding this fire but isn't this something that should have been disclosed? Should I be concerned? Would you proceed forward?
If there was a fire that should have been indicated on their disclosure form even if ALL the damage has been repaired. Purposely not disclosing information about all the major systems and structural condition of the house is FRAUD !!! I would walk away from the deal as you can't trust anything they say anymore.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 38,716 times
The sellers are saying that it was smoke damage from the dryer in the basement and that all their personal items were damged. We are requesting all the documents. Does this sounds right, $30K in smoke damage and then a complete renovation of the house?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget71 View Post
The sellers are saying that it was smoke damage from the dryer in the basement and that all their personal items were damged. We are requesting all the documents. Does this sounds right, $30K in smoke damage and then a complete renovation of the house?
If the fire department was called to the scene they will have a complete report on what happened including the extend of damage and where including the source....try contacting them for information.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Think about it- if all of your personal items were damaged, could you replace them for only $30k? Now add in the cleanup of the smoke damage- $30 grand is nothing.

That said, if the disclosure form didn't specifically ask about such a fire, why do you think they had to disclose it? Last time I looked at that form, I don't recall anything about non-structural (or even structural) fire repairs.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Think about it- if all of your personal items were damaged, could you replace them for only $30k? Now add in the cleanup of the smoke damage- $30 grand is nothing.

That said, if the disclosure form didn't specifically ask about such a fire, why do you think they had to disclose it? Last time I looked at that form, I don't recall anything about non-structural (or even structural) fire repairs.

Would you like to be sitting in a courtroom witness chair explaining to the judge and jury why you didn't disclose fire damage to a buyer in your "disclosure" contract ??? Whats your defense......you forgot ? You didn't think they would want to know ?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
I disclosed a remediation. So I would think a fire would also have to be disclosed, at least explaining why. It it was simply someone falling asleep smokiing, or something serious that included the electrical system in the home.

Diane G

Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 PM

86 posts, read 247,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

this is what i thought, a fire does not have to be disclosed

Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM

86 posts, read 247,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Would you like to be sitting in a courtroom witness chair explaining to the judge and jury why you didn't disclose fire damage to a buyer in your "disclosure" contract ??? Whats your defense......you forgot ? You didn't think they would want to know ?
i dont think thats the issue, i think the issue is does the law require it. if its not required, its not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey