U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

35 posts, read 93,591 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I have always lived in NJ--Central--but we are about to retire and are looking for a state with lower taxes and less snow. Where do NJ teachers retire?? Any ideas? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,404,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
Hello, My husband and I have always lived in NJ--Central--but we are about to retire and are looking for a state with lower taxes and less snow. Where do NJ teachers retire?? Any ideas? Thank you!
Teachers from many states retire to Florida and many actually start teaching again there.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM

604 posts, read 1,226,355 times
How about to Delaware -very retiree friendly state - ... not too far from NJ (you may be able to visit people current friends - in NJ with a day trip) - just at the other end of Delaware Mem. Bridge.

Low property prices and low property taxes, NO SALES TAX, income tax - yes - but taxable income is almost same as federal taxable income, few traffic jams, fairly progressive state even though a small state. In fact, change is easier to accomplish than in many other larger states.

Moderator cut: no solicitation allowed

Last edited by tahiti; 06-16-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 AM

7,577 posts, read 15,028,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
I've heard that PA does not tax your pension so alot of teachers head just over the border. May want to check that out...

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 AM

11,028 posts, read 15,727,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I've heard that PA does not tax your pension so alot of teachers head just over the border. May want to check that out...

Yup more tax payer money in the form of pensions leaving the state
I would love to see how much public employee pension money goes out of state each month because NJ has made it dam near impossible to retire & live comfortably here

Hey look at Mississippi...don't laugh they have really nice areas especially along the Gulf Coast...just go north of I10, and are very very tax friendly for retirees

http://www.visitmississippi.org/retire/

Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,673,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Teachers from many states retire to Florida and many actually start teaching again there.
Actually that is incorrect, many are retiring in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, and Utah. Florida is in an economic disaster and making massive teacher cuts. Retired teachers looking to find a teaching job in Florida would find nothing.

Budget Cuts To Hit Fla. Education Even Further - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Orlando Sentinel - Teacher cuts already under way in Florida by

Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That is true, PA offers many advantages for the retired.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,404,818 times
[quote=DailyJournalist;9354970]Actually that is incorrect, many are retiring in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, and Utah. Florida is in an economic disaster and making massive teacher cuts. Retired teachers looking to find a teaching job in Florida would find nothing.

Interesting.........my daughter teaches in Wildwood, Florida near Ocala and her school district is filled with teacher transplants and retirees starting new careers from many northern states. Additionally, because they raised the school scholastic grade level achievements in recent fcat testing they are all going to receive a pay bonus this year.

Last edited by FlyersFan; 06-20-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

824 posts, read 1,539,528 times
[quote=FlyersFan;9381489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Actually that is incorrect, many are retiring in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, and Utah. Florida is in an economic disaster and making massive teacher cuts. Retired teachers looking to find a teaching job in Florida would find nothing.

Interesting.........my daughter teaches in Wildwood, Florida near Ocala and her school district is filled with teacher transplants and retirees starting new careers from many northern states. Additionally, because they raised the school scholastic grade level achievements in recent fcat testing they are all going to receive a pay bonus this year.

Then your daughter should consider herself lucky. Here in Sarasota, there were three teachers brought in for the 2008-2009 school year and two were from NJ, they all got their pink slips. (this was only for the fifth grade) I can't image how many received them for the entire school.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The massive teacher cuts are just beginning (in the school and university level) and I truly hope your daughter is not included in those cuts. But the state of Florida has a long tough road ahead of it and when you compound that with the extreme amount of brain drain that is occuring in that state it will only get worse. I think there are much better options in the other popular retirement states for a retired teacher to obtain work in a state that is more stable economically. Texas would be a great choice for example.

Budget cuts, brain drain, drown Florida universities

The Oracle - Low faculty pay may be to blame for 'brain drain'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey