Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,948 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any tax advantages for living in Easton PA and working in NJ for a salary range of around 105,000 gross per year?

I currently live in NJ and wanted to explore the PA option if there are any advantages

Kindly appreciate your input.

Thanks,
AG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,969 times
There are big property tax advantages. We did this for 8 months before an unexpected relo across country. I don't remember there being any income tax benefits...dh is snoring on the couch next to me, so I'll check on that when he wakes up.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag11 View Post
Does anyone know if there are any tax advantages for living in Easton PA and working in NJ for a salary range of around 105,000 gross per year?

I currently live in NJ and wanted to explore the PA option if there are any advantages

Kindly appreciate your input.

Thanks,
AG
Your state income tax is probably less in PA. However, Easton is a brutal place to live, any nominal tax savings is not worth it IMO. And don't forget the cost of gas on your commute.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Your state income tax is probably less in PA. However, Easton is a brutal place to live, any nominal tax savings is not worth it IMO. And don't forget the cost of gas on your commute.
I would tend to agree... I would look south of Easton along the Rt 78 corridor. There are some really nice areas out that way. Areas north of Easton are experiences property tax increases equivalent to those of NJ. Most likley due to the amount of transplants from NJ and NY moving to that area overwhelming the school systems, etc. But south of Easton would be my recommendation

Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I would tend to agree... I would look south of Easton along the Rt 78 corridor. There are some really nice areas out that way. Areas north of Easton are experiences property tax increases equivalent to those of NJ. Most likley due to the amount of transplants from NJ and NY moving to that area overwhelming the school systems, etc. But south of Easton would be my recommendation
Agree 100%. North of Easton, especially the Stroudsburg area, is fairly depressed and the taxes are fairly high for PA. There are some nice places to live in the Bethlehem area.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 AM

Car insurance will be high in a place like Easton because of the high crime rate. I suggest looking around lopatcong along 78 as Wiley suggested. It is affordable out that way.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
My brother in law does this. His salary is about the same as yours. They pay 8700 a year in taxes, and it goes up on the level of NJ. Northampton County is essentially what I would consider PA in name only. It's NJ in every other aspect. Everyone on his McMansion block commutes to NJ every day, no one goes towards Allentown. Soulless neighborhood put up in the middle of what was once a farmer's field. Basically "Los Angeles east". Same lifestyle, same stress level: longer commute. He doesn't see his home until its dark out, unless its summer. I wouldn't want that lifestyle. But that's just me. I'd rather take a modest Cape Cod or smaller home somewhere like Budd Lake or Netcong than deal with his crap.

As Waylon Jennings once said: "We've been so busy keeping up with Joneses, four car garage and we're still building on, maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love." Or something like that.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 AM

My ex-in laws live in Palmer Twp, probably the exact same development. They are retired and did it to save on housing, the housing is affordable and taxes of 8,500 aren't that bad on their 3,500 square foot house. But you have the stigma of living near Easton and everything is a drive. There is a strip mall with a Wegman's near them which they think is the bomb. Around me that is but one of many options.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
My ex-in laws live in Palmer Twp, probably the exact same development. They are retired and did it to save on housing, the housing is affordable and taxes of 8,500 aren't that bad on their 3,500 square foot house. But you have the stigma of living near Easton and everything is a drive. There is a strip mall with a Wegman's near them which they think is the bomb. Around me that is but one of many options.
That seems high for PA? You can get the equivalent just over the border in NJ. I'm about 2700 SF - new construction and paying 6400/yr property taxes. I believe Palmer is one of those Twps. in PA who is about to get hit with Jersey Size property tax bills!!! But the Wegman's shopping area is the "bomb" . It's about a 15 min. drive from where I am now... not worth moving over the border for . Rumor has it that we may be getting either a "Super Walmart or a Wegmans" soon. My twp. is a bedroom community aka commuter town...population 5300 / 11.5 square miles. There's plenty of shopping and things to do. I'd take Jersey over PA in a heartbeat!! Although PA, I believe, at least the area we are talking about, is under rated.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 AM

I just looked it up on Zillow, their taxes are $8,000 for 3,500 square feet. Around me that would be a bargain. I actually think that area of Palmer is a bit more expensive than many areas of Warren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey