U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 PM

31 posts, read 253,022 times
Default Any Places In New Jersey Amendable to Young Adults?

I was curious on if in New Jersey there are any counties/towns that are good places for 25-35 young adult without any ties to anybody in the area to move to?

I'm looking for a place that isn't congested, over crowded, but had stuff to do and people my age, along with a community where it is pretty easy for an out of towner, new resident to meet and establish himself.

Any place in NJ fit the bill...most preferably North/Central/Shore (NOT Philly area) or is it pretty much more geared towards being a suburb?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,077,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer1280 View Post
I was curious on if in New Jersey there are any counties/towns that are good places for 25-35 young adult without any ties to anybody in the area to move to?

I'm looking for a place that isn't congested, over crowded, but had stuff to do and people my age, along with a community where it is pretty easy for an out of towner, new resident to meet and establish himself.

Any place in NJ fit the bill...most preferably North/Central/Shore (NOT Philly area) or is it pretty much more geared towards being a suburb?

Thanks.
Tons of places could work for you. I would suggest researching Hoboken, Montclair and Morristown as a start.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM

526 posts, read 1,425,310 times
New Brunswick, if you can afford to live in one of the newer condos.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 PM

605 posts, read 717,465 times
i miss the city

Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Tons of places could work for you. I would suggest researching Hoboken, Montclair and Morristown as a start.
Really?
I thought Hoboken was more urban, while Montclair and Morristown were more of a bedroom community.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM

129 posts, read 307,526 times
i also suggest hoboken, i don't know if that's too urbanized for you, but it's very cute with a decent nightlife. paramus is more suburban, has lots of shopping nearby, places to meet up with people if you don't need that much of a social nightlife.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 PM
bly

1 posts, read 7,195 times
how about Red Bank!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 AM

So far we have Hoboken (more urban) and paramus (more suburban). I hope this makes it easier. In a netshell the ideal place I'm looking for would be somewhere that a newbie from out of town in his mid 20s with no social network would not have a hard time fitting in and finding people his own to do stuff (beach/ski/some bar). I'm at UCONN now and its very hard and isolated. I'd like an area pro meeting new people were can have fun but is NOT overpriced/congested/overdeveloped. Just as importantly I'd like to get work and have a good commute. I am interested in regional planning and preserving farm and open space land. So I'd like to know...do Jersey offer any towns/areas that would have these kinds of jobs and foster this type of young, professional adult lifestyle...that is open not snubby. If so where...cities close to NYC in north Jersey or anyplace in Central Jersey/Jersey Shore?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,339,883 times
Tall order! Not congested AND with stuff to do and people your age. I'd say try Hoboken. It's congested but it's going to be hard to find both. Not sure what's near the shore. Maybe Red Bank, but that's not a really big town, but it is nice. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM

692 posts, read 1,649,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer1280 View Post

Thanks.
I can speak to Northern NJ, and I think several of the areas that are "good" for young people, tend to be a bit congested -- for example, Fort Lee, Hoboken, Edgewater, certain parts of Hackensack, Jersey City, etc. All places that have young people, loads of activities places to go, close to NYC, etc. but many are city-type settings.

I think New Brunswick might, might, fit. Central NJ, college town, Rutgers, not close to NYC, not as much young people as college people. Can't speak to the Jersey Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey