U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 40,772 times
Default Central Jersey Cities??

Hey,

I'm looking to move to central Jersey due to me working in Branchburg. Right now I'm commuting from a suburb of Philly and would love a shorter commute.

I'm a 24 year old single white male looking for a safe suburban neighborhood that is somewhat close to a decent nightlife. I would like keep my budget to $250,000 if possible. My ideal house would include 2 beds (second floor), 2 baths, 2 car garage, 0.2 acres, and a basement.

Some places I've seen so far include Bound Brook, Plainfield, Piscataway, Somerset, New Brunswick, and Middlesex. How are those places as I know relatively little about the area. Also, what kind of taxes would I be looking at?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,231,516 times
Honestly, I would rent for a year before you buy anywhere. Those towns are all really different and you want to make sure you like the neighborhood before you buy. Plus, your budget is low, so you want to be careful. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM

hmm, I'm in no rush to move as I am living with my parents while I save up some money. Also, I feel like renting for a year would just be throwing money away. Honestly, I'm able to afford closer to $350,000, but after doing a search on some websites it seems like I could get a decent house for <$250,000 so why spend more than I have to.

I don't know much about those places that's why I was asking to see if anyone did. Do you still think I should rent, if so why? Also, should I look into other places or do any of those places fit my criteria?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 AM

765 posts, read 1,665,479 times
South Brunswick has a lot of nice townhouses that would meet your requirements. Plainsboro and Cranbury are nice as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM

I think it's never a bad idea to rent for a year when you move to a new area. It sounds like you want to be near stuff to do, but your budget is also kind of low, so that's going to be a challenge. For example, downtown New Brunswick is fun, but might be a bit out of your price range.

Renting may be throwing money away (or not in this market), but buying in a neighborhood you end up hating really can be a financial disaster. And you're young, so what's the rush? The market isn't going anywhere. JMO. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
South Brunswick has a lot of nice townhouses that would meet your requirements. Plainsboro and Cranbury are nice as well.
Not sure on these towns. Nothing to do for a 24 year old and also not a good commute to Branchburg.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely need to do more thinking on the subject of renting vs. buying it seems. My thinking right now though is to move somewhat close to New Brunswick for the nightlife. Also, I'm looking in the area of South Boundbrook, since there would be pretty short commute to my workplace as well as New Brunswick.

Also, what kind of budget should I have considering my requirements?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM

You can buy something for 250-300K that would be an Ok commute to Branchburg in a decent suburb. Definitely a condo or a small townhouse. If you find a single family house with all your requirements for that price, you'll want to be careful about the town you're buying in, in terms of resale.

The thing that is really going to be the problem is finding somewhere close to stuff to do, bars, nightlife AND is also within your budget AND isn't super sketchy and rundown. The other thing is, if you're not right near NB, are you really going to use it?

In NB, I would definitely recommend renting there for a year before buying. Honestly, I don't know if I would ever recommend buying in NB, other than those nice condos downtown but that's just me and those condos aren't cheap. There are neighborhoods that are still dodgy, and then there is the whole noisy college kid thing, which you may be ok with, or which may annoy the hell out of you.

You might even want to give Highland Park a try for a rental. Less RU undergrads, more of a normal town, has grad students that rent there, and right across the bridge to downtown NB.

I'm not putting down the towns around NB, but you really want to know what you're getting into before you buy around there and you're not going to get a good feel for it without living there first. Also, I think at your age and from what you're saying, you really want to be near stuff to do and I think you're going to want to be within walking distance to really take advantage of a town like NB. Yet I'm not sure you just want to jump in and buy without knowing more. You may get there and not love it and the area at all and want to try a whole different scene.

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited by luckyshoes; 06-22-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 PM

572 posts, read 787,586 times
check out carteret or woodbridge...not far from night life in elizabeth/newark also not far from new brunwisck either.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:28 AM

31 posts, read 235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaz102 View Post
Hey,

I'm looking to move to central Jersey due to me working in Branchburg. Right now I'm commuting from a suburb of Philly and would love a shorter commute.

I'm a 24 year old single white male looking for a safe suburban neighborhood that is somewhat close to a decent nightlife. I would like keep my budget to $250,000 if possible. My ideal house would include 2 beds (second floor), 2 baths, 2 car garage, 0.2 acres, and a basement.

Some places I've seen so far include Bound Brook, Plainfield, Piscataway, Somerset, New Brunswick, and Middlesex. How are those places as I know relatively little about the area. Also, what kind of taxes would I be looking at?

Thank you.
So if you are commuting south to Philly then logically speaking...why are looking at Middlesex and Somerset Counties? To me...Middlesex is North Jersey as any county should be if it borders New York City (and Middlesex borders Staten Island). Culturally is there really a difference in the landscape, industry, and people? Those are NY Metro Cities were frankly a Philly person doesn't belong. Mercer County is both but south are Philly country. We should not encourage more confusion and melting pots in Middlesex because it makes no sense a county that those famous Jersey Smoke Stacks and borders Staten Island isn't considered north jersey but an exurb to Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey