Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
unless I'm living in Zimbabwe, I can't imagine anything happening in NJ which would cause a loss of power for more than 3 days
Are you serious? Do you remember that NYC had a blackout of at least 10 days in 2006? And that wasn't even due to an outside event, it was just a Con Edison problem.

Why would you treat the unlikely as impossible? Do you have insurance policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
In the New England area they get storms that may cut electricity for sometimes 2 weeks, That happened just this past year up there.
On one of my groups people were discussing the the Guv't was testing what they call PSYOPS which is psychological operations out in California on various frequencies in the air. There was a formal request to the FCC for permission to use certain channels.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,055,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Do you have insurance policies?
yes, and (more importantly) a diesel powered generator...

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,368 times
Quote:
yes, and (more importantly) a diesel powered generator...
So did you forget about the Con Edison issue or what?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
if something that catastrophic happens (where you'd need all that stuff), I don't think I'd want to live for long
I would. I'd want to try living on the dark side for once in my life and be looter.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
In particular I mean like having supplies on hand like food, water, medicine, which is imo something everyone should be doing. I try to store food that I actually use so I don't wind up having to throw away stuff. I'm trying to keep it simply and here's what I have on hand after reading on Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed. + Welcome to preparedsociety.org and using my own common sense.

20 gallons of water per person in household

powdered milk
Cereals
cans of tuna
packets of mayo in box
crakers to substitute as bread
chunky soups
chef-boy-r-d cans
kraft mac+cheese microwave single servs
canned fruit
peanut butter

Tums + peptol bismol
cough syrup + cough drops
aspirin/tylenol

toilet paper
paper towels
wet towlets
plastic utensils + paper plates/bowls

Well that's a partial list and I'm not a survivalist or doomsday scenarialist but it's common sense that in any type of emergency those items tend to fly off the shelfs in no time AND if you're buying things you already use there's very little waste and for example only a couple items I have like the powdered
milk MIGHT get thrown out after it expires in a couple yrs.

The way I look at it is if everyone could hold their own for at least a week or even a few weeks following any type of crises, whether man made or natural, it would take that much pressure off of local and/or federal entities trying to provide perhaps what might be basic necessities to households that could've and should've had the foresight to do for themselves. Not trying to start a debate or lecture anyone here but was just working on buying a few things this weekend and happened to be thinking about it.
Catatrophic means no electricity unless you have a generator and the gas to run it so those items bolded would be useless except maybe if you didn't mind cold soup or chef boy r dee

Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Honestly, I would say I am not prepared.

Here is what I would like to do better.
1) Stick 5 gallon container of diesel in my shed (our car is diesel, and diesel lasts a fairly long time)
2) Have some fresh water available in the house - most important thing probably ???. If I HAD to,I'd drink the water out of the hot water tank.
3) Keep BBQ propane tanks full - know how to switch out nozzles on my Gas direct vent heater for propane. Could heat my house for 24 hours on 2 tanks easily. Of course I'd need the electricity too.
4) Some source of electricity??? Not very interested in buying a generator...

For a while I had gallons of water sitting around. One time one leaked into the food in the basement in a bin and you could not imagine the site when I opened it. Thankfully that was at the rental house.

What have now:

50# bin of flour - coincidence only because the flour I use you cannot buy in stores . Not meant for being prepared in emergencies.

I have a little solar setup, that powers a 12 V native radio from a remote car battery.
I am a radio geek and can talk to my wife just about from anywhere within 50 miles with no reliance on cell phones.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,133 times
I have stocked up on the most necessary items and keep rotating them. Check the expiration date! Just an old habit I guess. And my garden is full of Veggies, some almost ready to eat. A 50 gal watertank is collecting rain water. A lot of split wood is stored in the basement, so we could cook food and huddle around the fireplace if it got too cold.
No guns in the house, but plenty of dangerous power- and handtools, plus 2 ferrocious minipoodles, that will attack anything that moves (as long as it does not give them treats!)

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Catatrophic means no electricity unless you have a generator and the gas to run it so those items bolded would be useless except maybe if you didn't mind cold soup or chef boy r dee

I have a generator and gas can be siphoned from my car if I needed extra. I wouldn't mind cold canned foods in an emergency and the point is I'd have food + water.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
I'm not gonna rush to the supermarket like a crazy person everytime there's a winter storm, bin-ladan tape, or itty pity flu that killed 5 old people. If it comes down to that I'd just break in and take what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: