Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 PM

825 posts, read 3,153,615 times

Advertisements

i don't think it's fair to say that about New Jerseyans. we have the same types of people that you find anywhere else. nice people and not so nice people. the reason why out-of-staters perceive us as a-holes is because we are such a densely populated state so it's a lot easier to run into a jerk in New Jersey than a lesser densely populated state.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,447,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
i don't think it's fair to say that about New Jerseyans. we have the same types of people that you find anywhere else. nice people and not so nice people. the reason why it's noticed more by out-of-staters is because we are so densely populated and of course it's a lot easier to run into a jerk in New Jersey that a lesser densely populated state.
In other words, we have more "jerks per square mile" than any other state!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:12 AM

39 posts, read 150,895 times
Honestly I cannot agree with the customer service comment. The aformentioned service at Bed Bath and Beyond could just as easily occur in California, New York, Illinois, Florida, or Texas. I believe customer service usually depends on the standards set by the company. For example, I'd say you'll find much kinder service at a place that really emphasizes going the extra mile for shoppers than one which hires anyone capable of working weekends or closing hours. I'd say it would be a very rare occurance to find bad service at Nordstrom in Menlo Park Mall, Neiman Marcus in Short Hills, any Chick-Fil-A in New Jersey, the Whole Foods store in Princeton, Trader Joe's in Westfield, Rainforest Cafes, etc. On the other hand, am I the only one who doesn't even experience customer service in Wal-Mart?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 AM

4,352 posts, read 5,085,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I think NJ people are just more upfront. If they don't like you, they don't like you and you will know it. I prefer it that way.
Ditto and amen.

I much prefer straight honesty than the passive-aggressive crap I saw in other parts of the country (esp. California)

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,331,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Rude, the loud and the proud. I was born and raised in NJ and moved to New England when I was in my 30s. I'd never move back. NEVER.

Sure, there are plenty of nice, decent people in NJ, but they are overshadowed by the large number of rude clods who live there. Last time I was in NJ I went to the local mall to pick up a bridal registry gift at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The lady who helped me find the gift seemed annoyed that I asked for her assistance. The lady who rang me up got angry when I asked about the free wrapping service. The gift-wrap lady gave me a dirty look as she wrapped the gift as if I were burdening her. Such is customer service in NJ.

Then there's the rude driving (can't be bothered to stop for a mom and child in a crosswalk because I might be late for a manicure) and the crass materialism (doesn't NJ have enough stucco McMansions already?)

I won't even get started about the unique NJ accents (cawfee anyone?)

I now live in a resort area in Vermont. We can always pick out the NJ tourists before we even see their license plates because they are louder than anyone else and they are constantly in a rush. Whenever I see a yellow and black plate I breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not living there anymore.

I will concede though that NJ people know how to make a good pizza (a rarity here in Vt) and they tend to be well dressed and well groomed. And I do miss the taylor ham sandwiches.
LOL at your comments! but What is up with the Taylor Ham??? ew....is it the ham that snaps back at you??

Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM

80 posts, read 369,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
People upfront in this cowardly state? Puh-leezzz...

"Oh Jennifer, I love your new tattoo." As soon as Jennifer turns her back, said friend texts another airhead--"OMG Jennifer's tatoo is so ugly." Yep, that's being upfront.

"My boyfriend loves me. He'll marry me someday." Meanwhile said boyfriend is shoving down dollars down a dancer's g-string at a nudie club. Sure, your boyfriend will marry you once he grows a pair.

Everyone and their brother says they have a college degree and makes tons of money, but you have to wonder how they got this far in life with their imbecile behavior.
That happens everywhere-the behind your back stuff.
I didn't have a problem with the people until I moved to North Florida and experienced check out girls who liked to chat and tell me about their day. That annoyed me at first, as did sitting at a green arrow and not moving until it turned yellow. But I got used to the slow pace. Then when I moved back to NJ I was annoyed at how rushed and rude everyone was. Did you know that New Yorkers are moving to NJ? Yup, and in the district that my mom teaches at THEY'RE the rude ones. I have come to realize that not EVERYONE is rude and that you will find rude people everywhere. Now don't get me started on our driving up here...

Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,759,830 times
Quote:
Rude, the loud and the proud. I was born and raised in NJ and moved to New England when I was in my 30s. I'd never move back. NEVER.
And New Englanders aren't "rude, loud and proud"?? That's a laugh!

Quote:
Sure, there are plenty of nice, decent people in NJ, but they are overshadowed by the large number of rude clods who live there. Last time I was in NJ I went to the local mall to pick up a bridal registry gift at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The lady who helped me find the gift seemed annoyed that I asked for her assistance. The lady who rang me up got angry when I asked about the free wrapping service. The gift-wrap lady gave me a dirty look as she wrapped the gift as if I were burdening her. Such is customer service in NJ.
Reminds me of the service my parents got a Filene's when we bought my cousin there a wedding gift. Had to be the rudest service I've ever seen, and I was a teen at the time but I remember it clearly. The woman snapped at my dad when he mentioned the salesperson told him it was free wrap. She held the package hostage and called my dad a liar. She then called the manager who called the salesperson who confirmed that the item got free wrapping. The manager gave the package and they asked my dad for a TIP!

Quote:
Then there's the rude driving (can't be bothered to stop for a mom and child in a crosswalk because I might be late for a manicure) and the crass materialism (doesn't NJ have enough stucco McMansions already?)
Boston and its environs has THE worst drivers in the nation! If they were any worse, they'd be from Montreal!

Quote:
Oh, that's rich. You live in the part of the US with the worst, trashiest sounding accents and you have the audacity to make fun of other people's accents? lol There's a reason the dumb fat guy on the cartoon "Family Guy" has a super thick New England accent. It's to reinforce that he is dumb and trashy.

What do New Englandahs have against the lettah "R" anyway, because they nevah, nevah, nevah pronounce it?

Quote:
I now live in a resort area in Vermont. We can always pick out the NJ tourists before we even see their license plates because they are louder than anyone else and they are constantly in a rush. Whenever I see a yellow and black plate I breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not living there anymore.
If it weren't for all those yellow and black plates there would be no resort. New Jerseyans are the ones spending all the money up there. It's good for you people that we keep Jerseying Vermont.

Quote:
I will concede though that NJ people know how to make a good pizza (a rarity here in Vt) and they tend to be well dressed and well groomed. And I do miss the taylor ham sandwiches.
I'm stunned to hear such admissions from a Jersey-hating basher! I guess the idea is to try to offset your other insulting, bashing stereotypes???

Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,875,844 times
I love NJ - and would back in a heartbeat if I could!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,897,595 times
Wink You really miss NJ

Quote:

Your post reeks of wistfulness and an intense longing to return to New Jersey.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,743,105 times
I lived in NC for 2 1/2 years and I have to say, I was sick of NJ when I left. Born and raised here but I never felt like I fit in. Being in the South was great. I enjoyed my time their tremendously. But coming back to NJ has been wonderful.

We have a sincerity here that can't be matched. Sure, everyone may not stop and chat with you, or even look you in the eye. But it's really what everyone here is used to. We are so accustomed to the hustle and bustle that we've just forgotten to stop and take a moment.

I was just as guilty of this before I left for NC. I had actually become what I thought I hated about the people here. Now, as I've changed my own attitude, let me tell you, I've found my homestate people to be beautiful, sweet, diverse, colorful, and interesting. Above all, when they are kind (which is very often), they are TOTALLY GENUINE. It's not a cultural thing, like "southern hospitality". It's really counter-cultural here in NJ, which makes it a breath of fresh air. Happy to be back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey