Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 AM

505 posts, read 1,761,945 times

Advertisements

So the other day my wife and I went for a drive. We were actually trying to find a new BBQ place on Green Pond Road in Morris County. We kept driving though and we stumbled upon a community called Green Pond. Actually it brought back memories of when we were first looking for a house, we looked at a house in Green Pond but ruled it out.

We were there on a Thursday evening and it is a very quaint little community complete with ballfields, tennis courts and a whole waterfront complete with docks, a restaurant, beach and playground. It was very active and presented quite the idyllic setting. The 'pond' is stunning.

So, me being the curious person that I am, I went home and looked at real estate for Green Pond.

It's a fortune!

3 season homes with 3 bed, 1 bath going for $420k, 4 bed, 3 bath houses (albeit it new, custom construction) going for $850k!

Now, it is quaint, but man, I think that's a small fortune for a community that is rural (a good 11 miles from 80), has septic/well and goes to Rockaway schools (above average schools, but not top tier). Especially when you can see what $850k gets you in the rest of Rockaway.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of visiting this hidden gem? Anyone LIVE there? Are these prices justified?

If you haven't been there and live in the area, check it out. There is a guardhouse but when we went there (7pm) there was no guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Yes it is... once considered and probably still consider a very "posh" area. : )

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
It is as you called it a "hidden gem". I used to park off in a dirt road across I think it was 513?? and sneak in there to fish. It was a difficult lake to fish because it was so crystal clear. I think more clear then Round Valley.

Yes it is very expensive. Those who live there dont pay HOA fees, they pay a fee to the corporation that owns the property and become stock holders in the lands. Only stockholders may use the lake and facilities. I used to sneak in to fish in an area no one could see me. I seem to recall a section where there was a guards gate so I never got to drive in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey