U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM

4,870 posts, read 2,880,755 times

Advertisements

Just a question but has anyone noticed a larger police presense everywhere. It seems like everywhere I go I find a cop. Pulling over someone, in front of stores, clubs, bars etc.
This is for NJ only I dont see it anywhere else really and travel between PA and NJ for work.
Think since we are in debt (nj), the government wants to increase more money via fines and traffic violations. Seems like the word has gone out to step up the enforcement.

Or maybe its just me.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM

207 posts, read 414,146 times
I don't think it is just you or just NJ.I see it more and more in Manhattan.I was just saying to myself the other day coming from Manhattan that I saw a lot of policeman everywhere.I was thinking wow they are hanging out in two's three's and four's.How well the tax money is being wasted.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM

43 posts, read 67,909 times
NJ is being turned into a police state... more cameras on roads, more cops and their now able to track people through a chip in your driver’s license. If some of you notice there are temporary readers being set up throughout the state that can read this chip (RFID chip) up to 35 to 40 feet…

Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,790,238 times
This is pure conjecture on my part, but...I think they put more cops out on the streets in the summer. There are more people out and about during the summer...students are on break, people are on vacation...everyone comes out of the woodwork. There is a marked increase in crime during the summer, isn't there? That's what I've read, anyway.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,789,380 times
Default Police: The Tax Collectors of 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Just a question but has anyone noticed a larger police presense everywhere. It seems like everywhere I go I find a cop. Pulling over someone, in front of stores, clubs, bars etc.
This is for NJ only I dont see it anywhere else really and travel between PA and NJ for work.
Think since we are in debt (nj), the government wants to increase more money via fines and traffic violations. Seems like the word has gone out to step up the enforcement.
Or maybe its just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
I don't think it is just you or just NJ.I see it more and more in Manhattan.I was just saying to myself the other day coming from Manhattan that I saw a lot of policeman everywhere.I was thinking wow they are hanging out in two's three's and four's.How well the tax money is being wasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPATRIOT View Post
NJ is being turned into a police state... more cameras on roads, more cops and their now able to track people through a chip in your driver’s license. If some of you notice there are temporary readers being set up throughout the state that can read this chip (RFID chip) up to 35 to 40 feet…
LIB: Yes, a very noticeable presence... especially speed traps on the roadways. The police are being used as the new tax collectors.
JMC: Yes, I've also noticed it in Pennsylvania and upstate New York
NJP: Yes, Huxley's Brave New World has made it here! 2009? Welcome to 1984!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:44 PM

380 posts, read 428,989 times
I think cops are given quotas first to pay for their huge salaries. After they make up the difference with ticket quotas then they can concentrate on making a profit for the town. The salaries of police officers in NJ towns is quite high. The opposite is true for cities where you think it would be higher. A cop's starting salary in Newark is something like $33,000. I know a police officer in a suburban Morris county town that made $110,000 last year.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

5,341 posts, read 9,319,139 times
its all about the money. They dont even solve any crime, its just get the money and run. They are so pathetic. Hasseling people over a blinker or 5 miles over the speed limit. Out of control steroid jar heads. And intimadating too, the new look of the cars, the military style. This is sick.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM

380 posts, read 428,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
its all about the money. They dont even solve any crime, its just get the money and run. They are so pathetic. Hasseling people over a blinker or 5 miles over the speed limit. Out of control steroid jar heads. And intimadating too, the new look of the cars, the military style. This is sick.
Sounds like you are describing the state police. Their uniforms always reminded me of the gestapo with that stupid useless black band running diagonally across the front of the uniform. The buzz cuts and the hat pulled down over the eyes doesn't help either.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,379,735 times
I think one of the hallmarks of the concept of federalism is that it enables you to relocate to other states in the USA, where a culture might be more to your liking. For instance, if you like the idea of lower taxes, you move to a state like Florida or Texas, where there is no state income tax.

New Jersey has 1100 people per square mile. It seems to me that a state's presence, when it comes to law enforcement, holds a direct relationship to population density. The same argument can be made when it comes to cities. The general idea is that when you have more people on top of each other, laws and regulations are going to become more necessary to make society more ordered.

If you buy into this theory, you will have to come to grips with the fact that NJ has the highest population density in the country, and will always rank near the top. Accordingly, the presence of law enforcement isn't going to dissipate anytime soon. Which leads to my observation of the concept of federalism: you can 'vote with your feet' if you don't like it. Move to some place where there is an absence of law enforcement, populations in general. A place such as western North Dakota:

ross, north dakota - Google Maps

The problem is that for most New Jerseyans, this type of culture isn't overly appealing. I guess what I am trying to say is that most of you are products of your own environment, one that contains 8.7 million people, 21 counties and 566 municipalities shoehorned into 7419 square miles. There really aren't many other places that sport such numbers, and along with these figures, there are going to be police officers to make sure you all get along with each other, and place nice in the sand box with the toys.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM

10,929 posts, read 15,493,734 times
GROAN.............here we go again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey