Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM

119 posts, read 232,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post

With all that, I would still go for it!
You're a real lifesaver! I was thinking the same thing about the employment issue but I'd love to get the opportunity to work somewhere down there. Maybe even volunteer somewhere. As for the bugs how do they get into the house? I only use the A/C when down there and never open up windows. If I do move there I'll have a bug guy at the home every month if need be. I don't do bugs - period! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,763,822 times
It's a no-brainer; do it. You will likey never have such an opportunity again. Florida is a beautiful place to live, particularly temporarilly. I've lived there for work and loved it, but most of the people I know who settled there, planning on being there long-term, seem to want to move back. But I definitely loved living there temporarily, it's a beautiful state with a lot to offer. It's no accident that people flock to that state for vacations.

So definitely go, find whatever work you can find to pay your (low) monthly bills and to earn spending money and have a good time.

You may end up being one of the people who just loves it there and decides to stay there, and you'll be happier for it; if not, you just come back home without having lost anything. In the meantime you help with your family's house there. Like I said, it's a no-brainer, do it. A year goes very quickly. 5 years ago I considered doing a similar move to Phoenix or Vegas, for 2 years, and I didn't do it. I'd have been back in NJ for 2 or 3 years by now. But I waited and now it's going to be harder for me to do, and even harder the more I wait. I keep thinking, "If I had just gone I'd have been back home by now..." Just do it and you won't be sorry, believe me.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM

119 posts, read 232,412 times
BergenCountyJohnny,

Thanks, I think I'll go for it. I don't know what life will bring me down there but I can't let fear of the unknown (and bugs) hold me back. If things don't work out it's not like I can't pack up and move back home to my family up here.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:18 AM

19 posts, read 94,904 times
I go to FL and work each and every winter, but I am down on the east coast by Ft.Lauderdale, and I work at a restaurant, and yes, even in this past winter until may I managed to make over 2g's a month.
I really hate to say but from what I've heard that panhandle area is KKK central...

However, if I were you I'd do that. An oppurtunity like that is hard to pass up... why Would you stay here now? Eh that's just me, I am not "normal" by societies' standards tho lol:P

Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,641,593 times
A/C or not, we still get the bugs inside the house. You get use to them. Make sure your house it sprayed for bugs, inside and out. It deminishes the population a lot. If you see your grass suddenly dying, it is most likely chinch bugs. They are fast eaters and you lawn will look terrible within a week. Even with a lawn company like Scotts, you have to keep on top of things. We had to tell Scotts lawn service to come out and spray for this or that. Termites are a BIG problem. Make sure you get a yearly inspection by a company that specializes in termite control. The damage can cost thousands of dollars in damage. I know someone who had not gotten an inspection in 4 years. She is now replacing a portion of her roof. The house supports are made of wood, so part of the house has to be replaced. It is going to cost her around $10k to fix.

I pay $500 a year for them to come out to inspect for termites, spray for all the inside bugs and the parimeter of the house.

I have another friend who uses a company that uses eco choices. She see palmetto bugs everywhere in her house. YUCK! They are HUGE water bugs. Her house is VERY clean too.

I hope you enjoy your adventure! It is a very different life style. When do you move down?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,485,272 times
please come back and tell us how you like it/dont like it pros and cons. I do wish you the best and I would love to hear honest feedback.!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 AM

131 posts, read 418,844 times
While the job market in NJ may be pretty bad, Florida is by far much worse. Much of Florida's economy is drawn from the service/tourist industry, which have taken a drastic decrease. I too, own a house in the Sarasota area and will be moving there by the end of the month, but only because I am self-employed, and the local economy will not effect my job situation.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,507,356 times
If you go be very conscious of making good use of your time every day--take classes, volunteer, do something useful that will add to your life experience.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,304,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
get your Bible ready and bring the booze, dry county?
Oh my! To be stuck in "the bible belt" and maybe not be able to sit in a bar all day- what a horrible way to live......

Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,634,799 times
I would go, you have nothing to lose! You can always go back home to family like you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey