U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
 
9 posts, read 245,894 times
Reputation: 35
Default Earning money while collecting unemployment

Does anyone know if you can earn while collecting? The benefit form asks whether you worked or earned a commission. I was told by an individual that you can earn up to 20% of your weekly benefit, but when I called the unemployment office I was told that no matter how much you make, it is deducted. Has anyone actually worked while collecting? I must say if you are getting 560.00 per week and can earn an additional 100.00 for a commissioned job but have unemployment deduct from your check, why bother? This has nothing to do with actually getting a full time job of course, but why do anything part time if the occasion arises when they take it away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
 
5,308 posts, read 9,139,600 times
Reputation: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrngrs View Post
Does anyone know if you can earn while collecting? The benefit form asks whether you worked or earned a commission. I was told by an individual that you can earn up to 20% of your weekly benefit, but when I called the unemployment office I was told that no matter how much you make, it is deducted. Has anyone actually worked while collecting? I must say if you are getting 560.00 per week and can earn an additional 100.00 for a commissioned job but have unemployment deduct from your check, why bother? This has nothing to do with actually getting a full time job of course, but why do anything part time if the occasion arises when they take it away?
I did work and collect. Yes the deducted the amount you make if its less than you check. In otherwords you get 600 a week UEMPL. you made painting 100. you will claim the 100 that week only and get 500 from UEMploy. If you made 700 painting , you would get nothing that week only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
 
5,308 posts, read 9,139,600 times
Reputation: 2336
some people actually collect Unemployment and find a part time job and collect the difference until it runs out. This can be done legally if its less than Uemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
 
9 posts, read 245,894 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
some people actually collect Unemployment and find a part time job and collect the difference until it runs out. This can be done legally if its less than Uemployment.
That's another thing. If 20 weeks equals 11,200.00, which is 560.00 per, I asked if any amount deducted was put on the back end and was told No. So if you claim you made 100.00 you lose that amount from your original total so 20 weeks means 20 weeks regardless if you collected the entire 11,200 or not. On another note, I am still on my first extension so I'm hoping tier II kicks in right after. I also have read that there is another EB extension after II but the requirements are having to show proof of actually looking for work, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
 
5,308 posts, read 9,139,600 times
Reputation: 2336
yes its true but its nothing to fear. You just fill out a slip with jobs you emailed/faxed/contacted. No need to rush into a job if your not happy yet. Find the right thing you have tier 2 and eb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM
 
1,014 posts, read 1,737,016 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrngrs View Post
That's another thing. If 20 weeks equals 11,200.00, which is 560.00 per, I asked if any amount deducted was put on the back end and was told No. So if you claim you made 100.00 you lose that amount from your original total so 20 weeks means 20 weeks regardless if you collected the entire 11,200 or not. On another note, I am still on my first extension so I'm hoping tier II kicks in right after. I also have read that there is another EB extension after II but the requirements are having to show proof of actually looking for work, is this true?
Is that true?!?! This policy is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
2,741 posts, read 3,987,685 times
Reputation: 918
Been there doing that.

You can make 20%. Anything more is deducted dollar for dollar BUT it makes your unemployment last longer. You get an account with X dollars in it.

Say you get 500 a week unemployment.
You get 26 weeks in your account = $13000.
Your PT job pays 200 a week exactly.
You can make 20% of the $500 extra or $100.00.
If you make $200 you have a $100 "penalty"
You would get $500-$100 = $400 a week.
If you kept up this scenario your unemployment would last 32.5 weeks ILO 26 weeks because you are drawing less from it.

I had 2 jobs. Lost the good one (of course) still holding the PT one.
I have gone through only about $5500 of the about $15000 in my account in 4.5 months.

2 phone interviews past 2 weeks. wish me luck. One is being scheduled for a 2nd interview...

Both out of state. One is Milwaukee. sigh. Cold AND expensive.

Last edited by ottomobeale; 07-01-2009 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 245,894 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Been there doing that.

You can make 20%. Anything more is deducted dollar for dollar BUT it makes your unemployment last longer. You get an account with X dollars in it.

Say you get 500 a week unemployment.
You get 26 weeks in your account = $13000.
Your PT job pays 200 a week exactly.
You can make 20% of the $500 extra or $100.00.
If you make $200 you have a $100 "penalty"
You would get $500-$100 = $400 a week.
If you kept up this scenario your unemployment would last 32.5 weeks ILO 26 weeks because you are drawing less from it.

I had 2 jobs. Lost the good one (of course) still holding the PT one.
I have gone through only about $5500 of the about $15000 in my account in 4.5 months.

2 phone interviews past 2 weeks. wish me luck. One is being scheduled for a 2nd interview...

Both out of state. One is Milwaukee. sigh. Cold AND expensive.

Are you collecting in NJ? I called the unemployment office and was told that if you collect 500.00 a week on unemployment and earn 100.00, you get 400.00 that week and it does not get added to your total. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
 
9 posts, read 245,894 times
Reputation: 35
Default another scenario

If you collect 560.00 per week and make 100.00 as commission I know you collect only 460.00 for that week. If I'm collecting 560.00 per week and make 1000.00 in a particular week, I know I won't get a check, but what happens to the 560.00 I would get for the second week? Since we claim benefits every two weeks does the balance come out of the second week which in turn net me only 120.00 or does it effect only the week you worked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM
 
78 posts, read 216,956 times
Reputation: 47
Another question along these lines:

How about you're collecting unemployment and you are trying to start your own business. You collect $100 from someone who uses your services one week.....but you really don't make a profit because you have to pay for materials or something else for the business that is more than $100. In other words, you are not making any profit on your business yet. Do you need to report that $100 that week to unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top