Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
more than likely they wouldn't wind up where I live because they couldn't afford it unless government puts a halfway house here, and that was the point of the thread. All this puffery is nonsense.

You would be surprised how many people on Section 8 and other government assistance live in your posh neighborhood. Open your eyes because you seem to be the one that is naive. There are government housing practically everywhere.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
I am neither, but I think that you are snobby and unrealistic. You're probably basing all of your biased opionions on television shows. I doubt you've ever even been around someone who has had a drug problem. And people with drug problems are not always violent; they usually do more harm to themselves then to others.

When I was in high school, I worked for an outreach program for women with drug problems for two years so my posts come from experience. The majority of these women just got caught up and before they knew it they were addicted.

And as for me being ill informed, there is a big difference between a halfway house where people voluntarily go and one where people are released from prison. Usually people don't go to prison for doing drugs, they go for selling them. And who are you to label someone as undesirable? No one in your family has ever had a problem that they've overcome?

What should the government do with all those people who have had hard lives and desire to do better?

Oh sorry, sir. I understand that you would like to clean up and get a good job and make a contribution but sadly, you have to stay here in jail and use up tax payer money because apvbguy thinks you're undesirable.

Sorry ma'am, i realize you would like to stop using crack and enter a program where you can get back custody of your kids but they'll have to stay in foster care because apvbguy thinks your past perfomance is a indication of your future.

Maybe you should move. Then the govt can turn your house into a halfway house and more of your neighbors will mvoe until the whole block is halfway houses. I do believe that's the root of most minority populated areas "Here come the undesirables. Let's pack up and move to Beverly"

Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I am neither, but I think that you are snobby and unrealistic. You're probably basing all of your biased opionions on television shows. I doubt you've ever even been around someone who has had a drug problem. And people with drug problems are not always violent; they usually do more harm to themselves then to others.

When I was in high school, I worked for an outreach program for women with drug problems for two years so my posts come from experience. The majority of these women just got caught up and before they knew it they were addicted.

Oh sorry, sir. I understand that you would like to clean up and get a good job and make a contribution but sadly, you have to stay here in jail and use up tax payer money because apvbguy thinks you're undesirable.

Sorry ma'am, i realize you would like to stop using crack and enter a program where you can get back custody of your kids but they'll have to stay in foster care because apvbguy thinks your past perfomance is a indication of your future.

Maybe you should move. Then the govt can turn your house into a halfway house and more of your neighbors will mvoe until the whole block is halfway houses. I do believe that's the root of most minority populated areas "Here come the undesirables. Let's pack up and move to Beverly"
It's pretty naive to think that a halfway house would be anything BUT undesirable in a neighborhood. Of course it's going to affect the "perception" of the area / street in a negative way.

It may be great for the people in the halfway house to have somewhere to go after rehab / jail, but for the poor buggers who worked hard to buy a decent house across the street, not so much.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
no she's not right. you might agree with her opinion but that doesn't make it right.
Uh yeah I am right. Let me rephrase this so it comes across as a clear FACT and not an OPINION.

* Halfway houses have monitors.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It's pretty naive to think that a halfway house would be anything BUT undesirable in a neighborhood. Of course it's going to affect the "perception" of the area / street in a negative way.

It may be great for the people in the halfway house to have somewhere to go after rehab / jail, but for the poor buggers who worked hard to buy a decent house across the street, not so much.
I didn't say that it wasn't an undesirable situation...I said who is he to label a person as undesirable. And I stand by that comment, none of us are so superior that we can label another person as undesirable. My next door neighbor has 4 bad ass kids who run the streets all times of night and always sitting on my car and she works all day and night - it's an undesirable situation but that doesn't make them undesirables. You all should really read the posts before you call someone naive.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
My partner was a P.O for 5 years and worked with several residents of halfway houses so I'll list some facts. As far as Texas laws go, I do know every state is different,

1. Halfway houses are typically in suburban neighborhoods because they don't offer easy access to drugs and it inspires them to want nice houses of their own.

2. Getting into a govt funded halfway houses is very hard. You have to apply or be recommended by a police/correction officier. You can not have committed a violent crime against another person or property, i.e vandalism, theft. Most of the residents are usually people who were arrested for being high or were caught in the process of buying something. In a general sense, they aren't criminals - just substance abusers. Many of them are homeless - the govt would rather send them home and keep a PO on them then to send them to a halfway house. Now privately funded halfway houses may run differently; i.e those for battered women, or homeless men.

3. Halfway houses are always chaperoned. The monitor is usually someone in law enforcement, and there is also someone there to deal with mental and physcological issues. There is usually a live-in monitor and at least 1 other person there at all times.

4. The residents are under strict guidelines. They can not freely stroll your neighborhood. For lack of a better term, they are under house arrest and need permission to go anywhere other than work or a court ordered appearance; such as child visits. They are also frequently drug tested.

5. The success rate of halfway houses is not high. However, the failure rate is mostly from the resident leaving the house and going back to the streets. I doubt many of them break into the house on the same street as the halfway house, knowing the police are so near.

6. Yes, having a halfway house on your block may make it harder to sell your house, but it shouldn't affect your daily life to much unless you are constantly annoyed by the fact that the lower half of society is enjoying the same lifestyle to which you've worked so hard to achieve. Then you might have a problem or two.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
You would be surprised how many people on Section 8 and other government assistance live in your posh neighborhood. Open your eyes because you seem to be the one that is naive. There are government housing practically everywhere.
I can assure there are no section 8 rentals on my street, section 8 does not pay what would be required to live where I do.
in my area there is plenty of section 8 housing but those are undesirable places to live regardless of the presence of any halfway houses.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
Quote:
I can assure there are no section 8 rentals on my street, section 8 does not pay what would be required to live where I do.
in my area there is plenty of section 8 housing but those are undesirable places to live regardless of the presence of any halfway houses.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You've already told us that you're better than everyone else so why would you comment on something you have no knowledge of? Section 8 and subsidized housing are very different things. Many home owners will become Section 8 landlords because they know they have a better chance of getting tenants who will pay the rent on time and take care of their property. The townhomes in my neighborhood are renting for $1750 and up and many of them are section 8. And I live in a very nice gated community. Look on craigslist.com or in the courier news there are rentals $2000 and higher that are section 8.

I think you should change your screenname to Archie Bunker 2008 cause you def have some people issues.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:12 PM

35 posts, read 192,912 times
Quote:
more than likely they wouldn't wind up where I live because they couldn't afford it unless government puts a halfway house here, and that was the point of the thread. All this puffery is nonsense.
wow, so i guess poor ppl are the only ones with drug problems and go to jail huh??? i have worked with men and women released from jail to participate in drug and alcohol treatment/live in a halfway house. not all of my clients were low lives that couldn't afford your ritzy neighborhood. i had a former lawyer, a rich kid with a hefty trust fund and other well to do people on my caseload for a while... most, if not all, ppl in halfway homes are NON-VIOLENT offenders... they went to jail due to their drug problems... i have seen the most strung out junkies turn into hard-working, tax paying, law abiding citizens... don't lump everyone into one category b/c everyone is not the same

Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
most, if not all, ppl in halfway homes are NON-VIOLENT offenders... they went to jail due to their drug problems... i have seen the most strung out junkies turn into hard-working, tax paying, law abiding citizens... don't lump everyone into one category b/c everyone is not the same
I think more than one person has told him that. I don't think he's afraid that he will be injured; he just doesn't want his lily white neighborhood to be associated with undesirables.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,751 times
How does one become a section 8 landlord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: