Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 PM

99 posts, read 310,104 times

Advertisements

Hi: Thinking of relocating to Sussex area from Queens NY. In search for a decent neighborhood with good schools....Have particular concerns with property taxes (seems to average $4000. a year for a $250k home) and commuting to New York for work (Im sure its gonna be rough) all info and advice is appreciated..THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Hi: Thinking of relocating to Sussex area from Queens NY. In search for a decent neighborhood with good schools....Have particular concerns with property taxes (seems to average $4000. a year for a $250k home) and commuting to New York for work (Im sure its gonna be rough) all info and advice is appreciated..THANKS!!!
if you're commuting to NY, I would not go any further north than Sparta. both my brother and sister in law lived in sparta, drove to the rockaway mall and took the bus to the PA, then either walked or took the subway to their respective bldgs (both midtown). the door to door was slightly under 2 hrs on a normal day.

i'll assume your price range is around $250K and honestly, that concerns me more than the commute - you definitely can't find something in sparta in that price range, but you may find a very, very small ranch in netcong/stanhope/byram (2 other towns not as north as sparta, but more west). even if you could find something in those 3 towns, i'm not all that sure about the schools - maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,461 times
Default Sussex County

Sussex County is a great place to live and raise a family. I understand that the schools in general are very good throughout. There are 2 websites that can give you more information. The first is GSMLS. It is the multiple listing service for northern New Jersey. You can do a search by a particular town and come up with a list of current homes for sale. This will give you an idea of the price range and property tax rates. The second is Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed You also search by town and get up to date demographic information.

The Netcong/Stanhope/Byram area is at the Eastern end of the county (actually I think Netcong is Morris County) and the closest to NY. There is a train station near the intersections of 46 and 80. The houses would be higher than $250,000, but the GSMLS will be able to give you more accurate figures. Sparta is a good town, but the homes are much more expensive. Newton is a great town and has homes in the 200-300 range, but is further into the county so it would make the commute longer. It would be worthwhile to research this some more. I think Sussex County is a great area and if you can find a place that is affordable and don't mind the commute, it will be well worth it.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:46 AM..

Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post

The Netcong/Stanhope/Byram area is at the Eastern end of the county (actually I think Netcong is Morris County) and the closest to NY.
You are right - Netcong is in Morris County. I stand corrected!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM

99 posts, read 310,104 times
Default Thanks>>

Hey: Thanks to both of you for your help and advice, I will be checking those towns you mentioned (by Morris County)as well as the related site( I know about "best places' one already). We are limited in budget, but not in an immediate hurry so hopefully it gives a little advantage to keep shopping....

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
cmj

1 posts, read 6,862 times
Default Sussex County

A Great place to live that is priced low and only an hour away from Manhattan is Hopatcong NJ. It is in Sussex County. You can drive 20 minutes to Parsippany and catch a bus into the PA that takes only 30 minutes!! So all in all your commute is 1 hour. approx. You can get a decent 3 bedroom house for 300,000, taxes will range from 5-6,000. The schools are good and it's a quiet place. It is exit 28 off of 80. About an hour drive from Queens!!

Check it out!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
A Great place to live that is priced low and only an hour away from Manhattan is Hopatcong NJ. It is in Sussex County. You can drive 20 minutes to Parsippany and catch a bus into the PA that takes only 30 minutes!! So all in all your commute is 1 hour. approx. You can get a decent 3 bedroom house for 300,000, taxes will range from 5-6,000. The schools are good and it's a quiet place. It is exit 28 off of 80. About an hour drive from Queens!!

Check it out!
There is no way that you can drive from Hopatcong to Parsippany in 20 minutes during the morning commute on a normal day, let alone if there is an accident.

You could also drive to Dover and take the train to NYC....I think Netcong as well

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There is no way that you can drive from Hopatcong to Parsippany in 20 minutes during the morning commute on a normal day, let alone if there is an accident.

You could also drive to Dover and take the train to NYC....I think Netcong as well
exactly. the picture that poster painted was a little too rosy. besides, if i lived in hopatcong, i'd take the bus from rockaway and save myself the aggravation of driving on 80E those extra 10 miles.

hopatcong to NYC, rush hour, plus time to get to the office, is 1.5hr min.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
In addition Hopatcong can be brutal in the winter as far as the roads after a storm.
Many homes ..you have to hike up numerous steps from the road..think grocery bags et al.....it's a nice town but may be a little bit of a cultural shock to some one coming from Queens NY

has it pluses, one of the more affordable areas in Morris/Sussex County areas.
Very pretty in the Autumn

Depending on what poster does for a living they may be able to find work in Morristown, Parsippany with out to much if any pay cut and cut their commute time down.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:17 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Since the OP asked for decent schools, Hopatcong would not be a wise choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey