Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,584,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My brother in law lives in Forks, which is just north of Lafayette. That's the one area of Easton I'd consider living in, the area on the hill just off the Delaware River. At least that neighborhood has a vestige of charm to it.

Wiley is right: Palmer Twp is about to get socked. Think of the Delaware River in this area as nothing more than an intangible boundary. Northampton County PA, particularly this part, is just as much of a fifth column as Bucks or Monroe Counties. Same NJ problems, you really can't outrun them until you get into places like Lehigh and Carbon County PA. And many in NJ resist these places, because the culture here is completely removed from what they are used to.
so why is this? if the cause of our problems is our state government, urban areas (think abbott), police and teachers unions, how does this explain the high taxes and "jersey" problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM

9,332 posts, read 20,673,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I doubt very seriously the values got that high for a 3,200 square foot house in that area of PA.
I just went into the Northampton County assessor's office property sale website, and did a search on sale dates. You are right, my BIL is wrong. The highest sale price on his street occurred in May of 2006, someone bought a home similar to his, 3258 sq ft, for $527,000! I just saved it to a PDF and emailed him at his office! That lyin sack of @%##@!

Just kidding, I just don't know how he got his info. You've got to love county assessor web sites, though!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:47 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,546,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was just that way this past weekend (202 to 611S) - it's VERY nice.
That whole areas.. Lahaska?, where peddlers is... would make for a great retirement destination. Very expensive though! Tons of empty million dollar mcmansions just sitting and sitting! Perhaps when (not if) I win the lottery, I'll buy one or two as vacation homes

Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,494,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I just went into the Northampton County assessor's office property sale website, and did a search on sale dates. You are right, my BIL is wrong. The highest sale price on his street occurred in May of 2006, someone bought a home similar to his, 3258 sq ft, for $527,000! I just saved it to a PDF and emailed him at his office! That lyin sack of @%##@!

Just kidding, I just don't know how he got his info. You've got to love county assessor web sites, though!
Told ya, that's about right. I think their house in Palmer peaked around 500K, they'd be lucky to get 400K today. And that is one hell of a house for 527K.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,092,335 times
Note that PA also has a 1% local earned income tax that NJ doesn't have.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,092,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
$625K is very shocking to me, even for peak.
The person who paid $625k probably bought every option on the builder's list. Most of which are probably only worth 25 cents on the dollar in resale value.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM

538 posts, read 2,450,372 times
We looked at PA, both Monroe and Northampton County, before settling in Hunterdon. If you really break it down, NJ is the better deal (and this assumes you are commuting eastward toward NY, as 90% of the people do).

PA has a 1% local income tax, flat 3.07% state income tax (higher than NJ for our tax bracket), car insurance was HIGHER in PA due to higher crime rates, longer commute, toll on bridge for two people commuting every day, more gas money, more stress due to commute, less free time. The schools are FAR better in Hunterdon or Warren than PA, proximity to the shore in NJ, and to top it off, there is a much cleaner environment in this area of NJ with far more trees and clean air (hard to believe....)

LIke someone else said, you are better off with a small Cape in NJ than a larger house in PA

Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,494,732 times
NJ is definitely a better deal than PA and most people these days are more interesting in buying a more modest house than a mcmansion. What I find funny is that people moving to PA expect the same luxuries they were used to in NJ and then realize the reality of the situation - they downsized. You always get what you pay for, there is no free lunch. People see lower taxes and costs in PA and think they are getting a free lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey