Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 AM

22 posts, read 72,642 times

Advertisements

I recently changed jobs and have been commuting from Raritan, NJ to NYC (The Village) starting about 8 months ago.

I've been taking the train from Raritan Station, then picking up the PATH at Newark, transfering at Journal Square, then getting off at 9th St.

From start to finish, the commute takes anywhere from 1.5 to 1.75 hours.

I know my best bet is probably to just relocate somewhere closer to NYC, but I really like where I live right now, and will be here for atleast a few more months.

My question is: Is there any better way to do this commute? I've researched Busses, but they seem to take a lot longer. I've also thought about driving into Harrison and taking the PATH, but I don't think I'll save a lot of time doing that.

I'm just checking to see if anyone on here has any ideas...maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,972 times
I don't know specifics but everyone I know who commutes to the City from Bridgewater takes a private bus line which is supposedly much better than the RARV.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM

30 posts, read 108,410 times
If you can leave by 6:00 am (maybe 6:30 am), drive - it's only about 45 minutes with light traffic, especially via 78 right into the Village from the Holland Tunnel. Even if it takes you 90 minutes to get home, which is likely any time between 4 and 7 pm from the Village, your round trip would only be 2-2.5 hours vs. your current 3-3.5 hours. Sure, once in awhile, you'll get hammered driving, but on average you'll save a lot of time. If you don't want to drive so much have you thought about driving to New Brunswick or Metuchen, taking the NE Corridor to Penn Station and then taking the subway to the Village? Not sure your direct destination, but even though this path is longer, it's only one change, so you might save time over the 2 changes you have now.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
I don't know specifics but everyone I know who commutes to the City from Bridgewater takes a private bus line which is supposedly much better than the RARV.
This is the type of thing that I'm looking for. Anybody have any info on this? I'm going to start googling away...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM

30 posts, read 89,993 times
I live in Middlesex Co. (South Plainfield) and drive into Jersey City (Grove St) every day. From there I take the PATH. On a regular day, with no hassles it will take me 45 minutes drive and add an extra 20 minutes train commute to WTC., and thats leaving at 8:15am. Of course you'd have to factor in the cost of gas, parking and tolls.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries71 View Post
I live in Middlesex Co. (South Plainfield) and drive into Jersey City (Grove St) every day. From there I take the PATH. On a regular day, with no hassles it will take me 45 minutes drive and add an extra 20 minutes train commute to WTC., and thats leaving at 8:15am. Of course you'd have to factor in the cost of gas, parking and tolls.
If I may ask, what do you do for parking at Grove Street?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 17,588 times
My husband used to commute from Somerset to Jersey City during rush hour. On average it would take him 45 minutes to an hour each way. From there, you can take the PATH.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,547 times
I'm looking at homes in Somerset, NJ. We have a young child and I struggle with the idea of 1.5hour + commute to NYC.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
I'm going to second the bus. I live in Somerset (the town).
I never had to go to NYC on a regular basis, but found the train to be a pain - getting to the station, parking, etc. From here there are buses along Route 27 and also Route 1, not having to juggle stations, and without the stops, the bus isn't bad. Not sure which buses go from Raritan.

The thing to remember about the bus is that there are bus-specific express lanes through the tunnel in the mornings, eliminating a MAJOR traffic problem.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Are these new jersey transit busses or private companies? I'm having a problem findig busses that don't take 2+ hours to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey