U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM

607 posts, read 775,632 times

Advertisements

They already outsourced all their baseball coverage to NY Daily News reporters, and are working a combined news bureau in Trenton (I believe) with the Record.

It seems as if it is only a matter of time before it disappears in lieu of an online-only edition. Or, it winds up greatly redusing its footprint, doing away with the various county editions and becoming a one-edition paper.

Too bad - I still read the papers every day (the first thing I did when I moved into my apartment after I got married was subscribe to the Bergen Record) and always wanted to be a journalist growing up. There is still a place for the old-fashioned print media - I hope - in today's society.

I'd miss the newsprint on my fingers, reading the paper over breakfast (or in another room in the house ) and even the smell of the paper sometimes when you open it.

I only get the Ledger delivered Thursday and Sunday, but it is one of those things you always know is there, even if you don't read it. And I do pick it up down the shore or elsewhere when I'm away from home.

Time marches on, and progess continues; hopefully the Star-Ledger finds a way to keep up.

Last edited by NJ07035; 07-07-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,596,371 times
I used to deliver the "Daily Journal" and "The Citizen" daily. Then I would help my uncle deliver the Ledger on Sundays. We were lambasted if papers were not at the door or at least on the porch near the door. Some people had specific places they wanted their papers and the companies gave us such crap if we didint do what our customers wanted. Now, I get the Ledger on Sundays only and I never know where its going to be and I have complained 1/2 a dozen times already. Finally I stopped paying about a month ago and they are still delivering the paper. WTF!?! lol

I guess it was late 80s, I had a little over 200 customers with both papers and I would make about $50/week with tips and helping my uncle. At 13 with that much money in my pocket I thought I was rich!!! But I hustled, every morning before school, after school, baggin when it rained, getting inserts ready ahead of time, head out on my bike with 2 huge bags strapped to me, having my mom meet me 1/2 way on my route with 2 more bags that i filled before I left the house. then eating diner, doing homework, and getting things ready for the next day. I LOVED IT! Its a shame that my son will most likely never have such an opportunity.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,793,679 times
this past sunday was abnormally light due to the holiday...it's usually a lot meatier.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,413,590 times
Funny stuff, I actually got the Ledger this weekend for the first time in a while because I had some North Jersey relatives down for the 4th. Most of the "local" news doesn't apply to me since they really only focus on the northern counties, but the state coverage is generally better than our two local papers, the Asbury Park Press and the Press of Atlantic City. Though I don't get the print edition, I enjoy reading Paul Mulshine's column online. His page is bookmarked in my browser.

Helps he's a fellow Shore year-rounder like me, hailing from Bay Head.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 AM

43 posts, read 91,310 times
HAHA "The Citizen" I remember delivering that one. WOW!! a whole 14.00 a week for my route... LMAO!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I used to deliver the "Daily Journal" and "The Citizen" daily. Then I would help my uncle deliver the Ledger on Sundays. We were lambasted if papers were not at the door or at least on the porch near the door. Some people had specific places they wanted their papers and the companies gave us such crap if we didint do what our customers wanted. Now, I get the Ledger on Sundays only and I never know where its going to be and I have complained 1/2 a dozen times already. Finally I stopped paying about a month ago and they are still delivering the paper. WTF!?! lol

I guess it was late 80s, I had a little over 200 customers with both papers and I would make about $50/week with tips and helping my uncle. At 13 with that much money in my pocket I thought I was rich!!! But I hustled, every morning before school, after school, baggin when it rained, getting inserts ready ahead of time, head out on my bike with 2 huge bags strapped to me, having my mom meet me 1/2 way on my route with 2 more bags that i filled before I left the house. then eating diner, doing homework, and getting things ready for the next day. I LOVED IT! Its a shame that my son will most likely never have such an opportunity.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:27 AM

390 posts, read 1,341,206 times
The same could be said for the Asbury Park Press. Most of the columnists are gone and it relies heavily on the AP and Gannet News Services.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

1,972 posts, read 4,799,273 times
Back in the day I had a big route delivering the Herald and I made about $300 a week, and after paying my older brother (he had a car and a DL) I took home $250.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,413,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
The same could be said for the Asbury Park Press. Most of the columnists are gone and it relies heavily on the AP and Gannet News Services.
There are serious questions as to whether the APP will be around much longer. They may simply do a "local wrap" of USA Today, from what I've been told (I work in the industry). They recently brought in an executive editor from the midwest whose background is in urban newspapers, not suburban coastal publications. One of his first boneheaded moves was to fire the editor of the Friday fishing section after something like 30 years with the newspaper. In protest, TONS of advertisers dropped out. On news coverage - where are the investigative features? They used to be good with that stuff - now they're publishing "gotcha" items like the Ocean County Clerk daring to purchase a TV for the office waiting room. Lame story, guys. And as a county resident, I enjoyed watching the TV while waiting for a form to be processed last year!

Their remaining columnists are train wrecks. Bill Handleman's columns are annoying at best, unreadable at worst, and Bobbie Seidel has readers asking why she went into journalism. On the whole, however, their web site is great for news updates on local stuff.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM

4,081 posts, read 6,980,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
I started reading the Ledger in 1991. It wasn't 15 cents then. It might have been a quarter, but it definitely wasn't 15 cents.
Right you are... a quick google shows it went to a quarter in January 1991.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM

390 posts, read 1,341,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
There are serious questions as to whether the APP will be around much longer. They may simply do a "local wrap" of USA Today, from what I've been told (I work in the industry). They recently brought in an executive editor from the midwest whose background is in urban newspapers, not suburban coastal publications. One of his first boneheaded moves was to fire the editor of the Friday fishing section after something like 30 years with the newspaper. In protest, TONS of advertisers dropped out. On news coverage - where are the investigative features? They used to be good with that stuff - now they're publishing "gotcha" items like the Ocean County Clerk daring to purchase a TV for the office waiting room. Lame story, guys. And as a county resident, I enjoyed watching the TV while waiting for a form to be processed last year!

Their remaining columnists are train wrecks. Bill Handleman's columns are annoying at best, unreadable at worst, and Bobbie Seidel has readers asking why she went into journalism. On the whole, however, their web site is great for news updates on local stuff.
Agreed. They also got rid of the restaurant critic Andrea Clufeld. And I miss their investigative articles. I only get the Sunday paper now.
But I worry if the APP goes under, what will we have available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey