U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 44,625 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody-

Man, is this forum a great resource for getting info on various cities...here is my first post....

I very well may be offered a job in Red Bank. However, Red Bank doesn't seem like the right place for me to live, although I could be wrong.

I am a 22 year old, single guy, who will be working in the performing arts industry, originally from Chicago.

I am looking to rent, probably a 2 bed with a max rent of $2,000. I want to live somewhere with a decent amount of nightlife/shops/restaurants/culture, have apartments in the busy part of town that fit my price range, have easy access to NYC, and be within an hour commute of Red Bank. Be in a place a young person would be excited to live...ya know?

I have been told to check out New Brunswick...but I have read around the forum that the town seems to be pretty seedy with a thin veil of "revitalization". I am not too worried about crime, since I am coming from Chicago (11 people we killed in a single day last week ), but it makes me wonder about New Brunswick.

So....sorry of all the criteria, but it is do-able....right?

I know almost nothing about NJ! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM

831 posts, read 2,070,793 times
Red Bank has everything you mentioned. It is also close to Sea Bright, however the cops are terrible for DUI's there. Check out Long Branch as well. The other hot spots for night time is in Highlands but I wouldn't live there.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Yes...there is the likelihood I am an idiot and that Red Bank would be fine to live in!

I guess I am just a little concerned about Red Bank because there seem to be the same 4-5 properties listed over and over on Craigslist with the occasional odd-ball property that is not actually in Red Bank.

Am I wrong? Is there another resource I should be looking at for rental properties in Red Bank?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM

390 posts, read 1,330,138 times
Red Bank has bars, trendy restaurants, diners and a club or two. It's an easy train ride to NYC. Red Bank has it's own train station. Plus, there are thousands of apartments in and around town. You could check the local classified ads at APP.com | Asbury Park Press | Monmouth and Ocean counties news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Monmouth and Ocean counties, NJ to see what's available. There are several nice livable towns nearby within 20 minute drive but if you'll be working at Count Basie or Two Rivers theater you may find someplace within walking distance.
If you see someplace specific online, let me know and I can give more info as I live in the area.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Thousands of apartments?

There are 5 listed on that site, of which none have photos, only one has a location, and one is Section 8.

Is the best way to just drive around town and look for signs?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Red Bank DOES seem like a great place in terms of nightlife and culture, especially with a train station right there that gets to NYC in about an hour. Is it a place I could afford to live in? I am working for a non-profit which, unfortunately equates to a modest salary...

Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM

19 posts, read 134,018 times
A lot of the local apartment/house rentals are listed on Craigslist. Here's a link to the rental section of the local Craigslist, with a search for Red Bank.

classifieds - craigslist

The $2k/2br price range might be tight. The rental market in Red Bank is still pretty absurd at times.

Are you going to have a car or will be depending on mass transit? If you are going to have a car while here, you can also check out some of the surrounding towns which will open your options.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM

I will likely have a car, so I would be able to commute.

I am by no means stuck on living in Red Bank, but I am a little spoiled from living in Chicago. I don't really mind a commute, it is more that I like being able to walk to things from my apartment and have things going on for me to do at night and on the weekends.

I am totally open to suggestions. I just don't want to live in a sleepy suburban town. I don't have a family and I am not concerned about schools or housing prices.

Just an reasonable commute to Red Bank and a town to live in with enough social activity for a single person, new to the area.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM

21,764 posts, read 27,648,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
It is also close to Sea Bright, however the cops are terrible for DUI's there.
the cops patrol the city while drunk?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

21,764 posts, read 27,648,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerbone View Post
I will likely have a car, so I would be able to commute.

I am by no means stuck on living in Red Bank, but I am a little spoiled from living in Chicago. I don't really mind a commute, it is more that I like being able to walk to things from my apartment and have things going on for me to do at night and on the weekends.

I am totally open to suggestions. I just don't want to live in a sleepy suburban town. I don't have a family and I am not concerned about schools or housing prices.

Just an reasonable commute to Red Bank and a town to live in with enough social activity for a single person, new to the area.

Thanks!
i think red bank is a good choice. if you want to bang college chicks (or dudes) then it may be wise to live in new brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or