Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been there. its not so much the stores as the people you are shopping with. my mother's friend didnt mind it, she works as a teacher in paterson. i do mind it, and so does my wife.

its not just about safety, its also atmosphere. this is my leisure time and i dont want to just go to an area because it happens to have stores. i want that area to be a place i am happy being in.
Not following, what seems to be the problem? Coach, Banana Republic may not be Neiman Marcus but they aren't John's Bargain stores either so the clientele should be average for those stores

Last edited by njkate; 07-16-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM

53 posts, read 312,506 times
Quote:
ive been there. its not so much the stores as the people you are shopping with. my mother's friend didnt mind it, she works as a teacher in paterson. i do mind it, and so does my wife.

its not just about safety, its also atmosphere. this is my leisure time and i dont want to just go to an area because it happens to have stores. i want that area to be a place i am happy being in.
It seems that you basically dislike the people who are also in the Outlet stores. If so, you must dislike the people at most malls in New Jersey, because there's not a huge difference. On Labor Day, you're going to have people in the outlets from all over New Jersey.

Comparing Paterson to the outlet stores is absolutely ridiculous. There's no reason why any normal person would be unhappy shopping at the outlets. I have never met anyone who doesn't find the outlet stores a "happy" enough place to shop there. Obviously, you have every right to stay away, I just don't think you're painting a particularly accurate picture for people who may not have visited before.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not following, what seems to be the problem? Coach, Banana Republic may not be Neiman Marcus but they aren't John's Bargain stores either so the clientele should be average for those stores
you get a lot more of the local populations. the pier mall is better.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
you get a lot more of the local populations. the pier mall is better.

Oh so you don't like to rub elbows with the locals??

Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
please, don't encourage him.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
please, don't encourage him.
Got cha!!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMan710 View Post
It seems that you basically dislike the people who are also in the Outlet stores. If so, you must dislike the people at most malls in New Jersey, because there's not a huge difference. On Labor Day, you're going to have people in the outlets from all over New Jersey.

Comparing Paterson to the outlet stores is absolutely ridiculous. There's no reason why any normal person would be unhappy shopping at the outlets. I have never met anyone who doesn't find the outlet stores a "happy" enough place to shop there. Obviously, you have every right to stay away, I just don't think you're painting a particularly accurate picture for people who may not have visited before.
well, if you like, i will post a small list of malls in the general area that i have been to and will or wont return based on "atmosphere." some are in the nyc area because i lived in brooklyn for a while.

Will return:

roosevelt fields
those 2 in westchester
staten island mall
freehold mall
short hills mall
jersey shore outlets
pier mall (AC)

Wouldnt return:

green acres mall
kings plaza mall
jersey gardens
Atlantic City outlets
Jackson outlets (my wife forces me sometimes though)

those are the ones that came to my mind quickly. so its not all malls/outlets that i dont want to go to.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
well, they smell bad. haha just kidding.

i dont think its entirely fair that i come off as a jerk for saying this stuff because i think we are all guilty of it. these malls dont have relatively similar populations because im the only one who chooses where he goes based on the population there. i dont hate them or anything. i just like a higher end atmosphere with more attractive people. i dont shop, im just along for the ride. so for me, atmosphere is my experience.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM

took a long weekend and stayed at the borgata the past few days. i love it there. i only left the borgata on sunday to see Transformers 2 at the IMAX. i dont like to spend too much time out of the borgata where i risk running into unsavory characters.

my brother and his new girlfriend came for friday night. me and my wife hung out with them and then they went to the nightclub mur mur. immediately upon walking in, someone pinches his girlfriend's butt. they move to the other side of the club and my brother sees a guy about to grab the girl's butt. he grab's the guys hand, throws it at him and says "if you do that again im going to take your hand and shove it in your ass." he is going to walk away but the guy is being held back by his friends because he wants to have at it apparently. so my brother starts walking over to punch the guy (he removed his watch because he lost an expensive watch in a fight once) and then some people jumped in and broke it up and the bouncers took the other guys away.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Atlantic City is fine but be sure to stay on the boardwalk, especially at night. My friends and I once tried to avoid the boardwalk crowds by taking one of the side streets and we ended up being solicited by a hooker. I would recommend Tropicana and The Pier as good places to visit.

Don't waste your time going to Maine. I have been up there in the summer and Maine gives a whole new meaning to the word "beach". You may as well be swimming in the Arctic ocean. The water there never warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey