Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 51,277 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We're trying to figure out where to move to next year (from Princeton) and are now thinking either Newport or Hoboken because they're near the city but we should be able to get a little more for our money.
We're professionals in our 40's, hoping to start a family soon. We want to be in an area that has a nice little downtown with coffee shops, maybe some yoga studios, some good restaurants. It doesn't have to be end-all-be-all since we plan on taking the PATH into Manhattan a lot.
Anyone have any strong opinions on either area? Pros and cons?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,681,990 times
Newport doesn't have the neighborhood feeling you describe you are looking for, Hoboken does. If you are interested in JC I think Van Vorst park may be worthwhile investigating.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,697,717 times
Hoboken > Newport for a livelier vibe.

Newport > Hoboken for easier Manhattan access via PATH (unless you live in downtown Hoboken).

Newport > Hoboken for a less frat-boy crowd.

Hoboken = Newport for parking (which is a disaster).

Keep in mind that Newport is very "ethnic" and many aren't too terribly friendly. If that will be an issue you should rule out Newport immediately.

Have you looked at Van Vorst Park and Paulus Hook in Jersey City?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM

592 posts, read 2,182,153 times
I am not sure what you guys talking about, everytime i am at newport, there are always tons of people by the square water fountain area with kids running around and socializing. Seems like there is a very active community. There are also tons of metered parking spots that are always empty (by morton williams)

Hate hoboken, everything feels small and old, roads are narrow, and parking nonexistent. The worst is the frat boys and girls (wtf do they come from?) that crowds the path train every weekend and pukes all over the place at night by the bars.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
I am not sure what you guys talking about, everytime i am at newport, there are always tons of people by the square water fountain area with kids running around and socializing. Seems like there is a very active community. There are also tons of metered parking spots that are always empty (by morton williams)

Hate hoboken, everything feels small and old, roads are narrow, and parking nonexistent. The worst is the frat boys and girls (wtf do they come from?) that crowds the path train every weekend and pukes all over the place at night by the bars.
I have lived in both places. Hoboken is much more of a neighborhood. There are very few choices of parks in the Newport area. I always found on street parking in that area a challenge, no less than Hoboken.

Uptown Hoboken is an older, family crowd. There are a ton of activities for the kids, soccer, basketball, baseball. The young set only see the things that interest them but there are hundreds of kids who participate in the activities I listed.

But again if you are interested in JC check out Van Vorst Park area, it is much closer to what you are looking for than Newport.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,328,292 times
i like the suggestions of Van Vorst or Paulus Hook over Newport. Also, Hoboken has a split community right now. There's the young professionals who are starting families, and there's the post-college crowd that thinks they are still in college. You'll find it a bit polarizing...some people literally hate children, strollers, dogs, etc. But, Hoboken has a much better night life and bar scene. You don't need the PATH to get into the city since there are decent bus routes to Port Authority also (but i imagine JC has this as well).

Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 51,277 times
Thanks everyone!! This is helpful. I explored Hoboken and Newport today. Newport sort of had a Stepford Wives (by the sea) feel but I liked how open it felt. Hoboken had that great sort of old town feel but I was warned by several people while there that it's kind of a huge post college, I still want to drink a lot vibe. The apartments I looked at, which claimed to be "luxury" really werent anywhere near the main part of town -- they seemed like they were in a crappy backend part of town. Which sort of takes away one of the advantages of Hoboken.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatello1204 View Post
Thanks everyone!! This is helpful. I explored Hoboken and Newport today. Newport sort of had a Stepford Wives (by the sea) feel but I liked how open it felt. Hoboken had that great sort of old town feel but I was warned by several people while there that it's kind of a huge post college, I still want to drink a lot vibe. The apartments I looked at, which claimed to be "luxury" really werent anywhere near the main part of town -- they seemed like they were in a crappy backend part of town. Which sort of takes away one of the advantages of Hoboken.

Check out the Shipyard or 333 River.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,697,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Check out the Shipyard or 333 River.
I lived at 333 River for four years. It's not worth the money.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM

4,282 posts, read 10,718,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatello1204 View Post

Hoboken does have a college taking up a large portion of its city limits....

If drunk 20 somethings bother you, you are better off in JC. Hoboken can become very sloppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey